Alvin Ailey companies at Sadler's Wells and on tour Autumn 2023

It has already been reported that the main Ailey company will be performing at Sadler's Wells in September (5 - 16), bringing 4 programmes; an all-Ailey bill which includes some ballets that he created to music by Duke Ellington but ending with his marvellous Revelations, which also closes 2 of the other programmes. Other programmes include, variously, pieces by Kyle Abraham,Twyla Tharp, Ronald Brown among others.

The Theatre Royal, Newcastle, has now announced that Ailey 2, the company of younger dancers, will be performing 2 performances in October (24, 25) bringing pieces by Robert Battle and Francesca Harper, an excerpt from William Forsythe's Enemy in the Figure, ending with Revelations.

The company will be presented by Dance Consortium so it is bound to be appearing in other cities across England and probably Scotland.

If you've never seen Revelations you haven't lived!. It's moving and life affirming, the company still dances it as if it's brand new, a tribute to African-American culture (if a trifle outmoded, 20th rather than 21st century) and at the end the audience is moved to join in the celebration.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

That’s fantastic that the Ailey 2 ensemble can visit Newcastle. Hopefully other theatres and towns will invite them and they can fit in more performances. I’m looking forward to the Ailey company visit to London in September. I love Revelations! The energy and infectious joy that the dancers bring when performing it....so glorious. Successive generations of Ailey dancers must have danced it thousands of times since it was premiered but it never feels stale or formulaic - every dancer dances it with such enthusiasm and freshness that it always feels like they’re dancing it for the first time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

🤞🏻For more performances…. Southampton would be good please! 

1 hour ago, alison said:

Theatre size might be a problem down there, I should think - it's one of the biggest theatres outside London, and even *in* London the company only appears at Sadler's Wells these days.

Ailey 2 is performing at the Mayflower theatre on September 22 & 23. It’s been advertised on the website for a while already.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

More dates and venues here.

Transcribed:

Tue 19 - Wed 20 Sep 2023
Marlowe Theatre Canterbury

Fri 22 - Sat 23 Sep 2023
Mayflower Theatre Southampton

Tue 26 - Wed 27 Sep 2023
Theatre Royal Plymouth

Fri 29 - Sat 30 Sep 2023
Milton Keynes Theatre

Tue 3 - Wed 4 Oct 2023
Birmingham Hippodrome

Fri 6 - Sat 7 Oct 2023
Theatre Royal Norwich

Tue 10 - Wed 11 Oct 2023
Royal Concert Hall Nottingham

Fri 13 - Sat 14 Oct 2023
The Lowry Salford Quays

Tue 17 - Wed 18 Oct 2023
Alhambra Theatre Bradford

Fri 20 - Sat 21 Oct 2023
Hull New Theatre

Tue 24 - Wed 25 Oct 2023
Theatre Royal Newcastle

Fri 27 - Sat 28 Oct 2023
Eden Court Theatre Inverness

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I’m super impressed too!!! Larger UK companies take note - tours can include more than 2-3 venues!!! Though of course I do appreciate that often dates/venues dictated by higher powers (like Arts Council?) 

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 1

I think Revelations could fill a big stage the size of the Mayflower, London Coliseum, etc. I don’t know their Battle and Harper pieces well enough to say how they will fit on big stages, and it depends on which excerpt they are presenting from the Forsythe. But it is great that they are touring so many venues. Great for the cities and great experience for the young dancers. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

b817c711f36a9813edb0dcfa4bfdad6d69ae4f19.png

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater at 65
Mixed Bill

Sadler’s Wells Theatre, EC1R 4TN

Tuesday 5 – Saturday 16 September 2023
Tickets from £15
Ticket Office: 020 7863 8000 or www.sadlerswells.com

37f308a1163b22aaec7d9b7fd0e3052fe45ccda5.png
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Jacquelin Harris, image credit Dario Calmese

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater returns to Sadler’s Wells this September to present four programmes of work, blending highlights from Ailey’s illustrious career with work by choreographers Kyle Abraham, Aszure Barton, Ronald K. Brown, Jamar Roberts, and Twyla Tharp. Led by Artistic Director Robert Battle, the residency at Sadler’s Wells Theatre features 32 magnificent dancers and marks the company’s 65th anniversary in 2023.

Alvin Ailey is a powerhouse of American dance. His career began in a time when opportunities for African American dancers were limited, but he strived to create a space for Black artists to express their experiences and heritage. Founded in 1958, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater was one of the first companies to welcome dancers of all races and backgrounds.

Ailey Classics showcases the best of Alvin Ailey. The River is a full company work that suggests tumbling rapids and meandering streams on a voyage from a spring to the sea, mirroring the journey of life. Demonstrating Ailey’s admiration for classical ballet while retaining modern and jazz influences, it is performed to Duke Ellington’s only symphonic score written for dance. Pas de Duke
, created in 1976 as a showcase for the renowned Judith Jamison and Mikhail Baryshnikov, Alvin Ailey’s modern dance translation of a classical pas de deux set to the music of Ellington has since been performed by generations of dancers. Cry is Ailey’s signature solo work which he created as a birthday present for his mother and dedicated ‘to all Black women everywhere – especially our mothers. The tour-de-force performance by the female soloist moves us through three sections depicting the trials and tribulations black women have endured, ending in a joyful triumph over those hardships.  Revelations is Alvin Ailey’s masterpiece of hope, redemption and joy, a tribute to his heritage, and the most widely seen modern dance work in the world. Set to a suite of African-American spirituals and based upon his “blood memories” of growing up in rural South and the church, it is a universal celebration of the human spirit that has continued to inspire and bring audiences to their feet since its 1960 premiere.

21st Century Creations brings together new works by Aszure Barton, Jamar Roberts and Kyle Abraham. BUSK by internationally renowned choreographer Aszure Barton explores the human experience in all its resilience, fragility and tenderness. Jamar Roberts’ In a Sentimental Mood uses original composition by Duke Ellington and four jazz standards, which are given a twist by composer Rafiq Bhatia to study an intimate domestic scene, love and desire. Acclaimed choreographer Kyle Abraham celebrates Black culture and Black music in Are You in Your Feelings? performed to a mixtape of soul, hip-hop and R&B. 

Contemporary Voices brings together Aszure Barton’s BUSK and Kyle Abraham’s Are You in Your Feelings?in conversation with Alvin Ailey’s classic Revelations. 

Modern Masters features work by Twyla Tharp, Ronald K. Brown and Ailey. Twyla Tharp’s silky, sultry work Roy’s Joy embodies the spontaneity of the 1940s and 50s jazz scene with a soundtrack by Roy Eldridge, mixing vernacular dance with ballet and modern technique. Ronald K. Brown’s evocative Dancing Spirit uses movement from Cuba, Brazil and the United States to conjure dancing spirits who embody Judith Jamison’s elegance, vision, dignity and generosity. The programme is completed with Ailey’s Revelations.

Robert Battle, Artistic Director of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, said: ‘It’s a joy to return to London and the international scene at last after the pandemic pause, and an honour to be welcomed back to the legendary stage of Sadler’s Wells, where Ailey’s extraordinary dancers feel so at home. We’re making up for our time away by offering a variety of programs with an abundance of dynamic dances, from Mr. Ailey’s classics to new repertoire by some of today’s most exciting choreographers. With our second professional company, Ailey II, undertaking a 12-city tour of the U.K. at this same time, we’re thrilled to reconnect with audiences here, sharing the joy and passion of Ailey artistry throughout the country.’

Sir Alistair Spalding CBE, Chief Executive and Artistic Director of Sadler’s Wells, said:
We’re delighted to bring Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater back to their London home this year. It is always a pleasure to watch this pioneering company on our stage. The company has, for 65 years, championed diversity through the universal language of dance, and continues to be an inspiration to so many working in dance today. Over a fortnight, London audiences will have an opportunity to see a host of work from this ground-breaking organisation. Alvin Ailey’s iconic works such as Revelations and Cry sit alongside new work from fantastic choreographers, including our friend and frequent collaborator Kyle Abraham. We hope you can join us’.

This year, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater performs at the Festival Theatre at Edinburgh International Festival (Wednesday 23 – Friday 25 August) and Ailey 2 embarks on a nationwide tour with Dance Consortium (Tuesday 19 September – Saturday 28 October). These mark the first international tours for both companies since 
before the pandemic.

Kindly supported by Blavatnik Family Foundation

Are You in Your Feelings? and In a Sentimental Mood are London premieres

British Sign Language interpreted post-show talk on Tuesday 5 September at 7:30 pm 

Audio Described Performance on Saturday 16 September at 2:30 pm with accompanying Touch Tour at 1 pm 

ENDS  

NOTES TO EDITORS

Listings Information 

Programme 

Date 

Time 

Contemporary Voices

Tuesday 5 September 2023

7.30pm

Modern Masters

Wednesday 6 September 2023

7.30pm

Modern Masters

Thursday 7 September 2023

2.30pm

Ailey Classics

Thursday 7 September 2023

7.30pm

21st Century Creations

Friday 8 September 2023

7.30pm

Ailey Classics

Saturday 9 September 2023

2.30pm

Modern Masters

Saturday 9 September 2023

7.30pm

Contemporary Voices

Sunday 10 September 2023

2pm

Modern Masters

Tuesday 12 September 2023

7.30pm

Ailey Classics

Wednesday 13 September 2023

2.30pm

Modern Masters

Wednesday 13 September 2023

7.30pm

21st Century Creations

Thursday 14 September 2023

7.30pm

Ailey Classics

Friday 15 September 2023

7.30pm

Modern Masters

Saturday 16 September 2023

2.30pm

Contemporary Voices

Saturday 16 September 2023

7.30pm

The creation of Are You in Your Feelings? is supported by commissioning funds from New York City Center.

The world premiere of Are You in Your Feelings? is made possible with major support from Michele & Timothy Barakett, Melinda & Paul Pressler, Jeanne Greenberg Rohatyn & Nicolas S. Rohatyn New Works Endowment Fund, and The Pamela D. Zilly & John H. Schaefer Endowment Fund.

Additional support was provided by an Anonymous supporter, The Fred Eychaner New Works Endowment Fund, and The Kansas City Friends of Alvin Ailey—Sara and Bill Morgan New Works Endowment Fund.

Leadership support for the Company premiere of BUSK is provided by Melinda & Paul Pressler and Pamela D. Zilly & John H. Schaefer.

BUSK was originally made possible by generous support from DANCEworks, The Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity,  and the Ringling International Arts Festival, with John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art in association with the Baryshnikov Arts Center. Additional support also provided by White Oak Conservation Center, the Howard Gilman Foundation, and The Canada Council for the Arts.

Generous support for the original production of Dancing Spirit was received from Dr. Crawford Parker, and the Kansas City Friends of Alvin Ailey through the generosity of its donors.

In a Sentimental Mood is made possible with support from Maury & Joseph Bohan, Peter S. Croncota, The Ellen Jewett & Richard L. Kauffman New Works Endowment Fund, Tarell Alvin McCraney, the Red Moose Charitable Fund, and Denise Littlefield Sobel.

Support for this production of Pas de Duke was provided by The Ellen Jewett & Richard L. Kauffman New Works Endowment Fund, and Daria L. & Eric J. Wallach.

The original Ailey production was made possible, in part, with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts and the New York State Council on the Arts, and by a grant from Ford Foundation.

Generous support for the original production was also received from Laren & Jesse Brill.

Generous support for this production of The River was provided by Celestine & Howard Campbell, Denise Littlefield Sobel, and The Jaharis Family Foundation.

The original Ailey production was made possible, in part, with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts and the New York State Council on the Arts, and by a grant from the Ford Foundation.

All performances of Revelations are permanently endowed by a generous gift from Donald L. Jonas in celebration of the birthday of his wife, Barbara, and her deep commitment to Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.

Major support of the Company premiere of Roy’s Joys is made possible by Elaine & Larry Rothenberg.

About Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater grew from a now-fabled performance in March 1958 at the 92nd Street Y in New York City. Led by Alvin Ailey and a group of young African-American modern dancers, that performance changed forever the perception of American dance. The Ailey company has gone on to perform for an estimated 25 million people at theaters in 48 states and 71 countries on six continents – and has reached millions more online and through television broadcasts.

In 2008, a U.S. Congressional resolution designated the Company as “a vital American cultural ambassador to the world” that celebrates the uniqueness of the African-American cultural experience and the preservation and enrichment of the American modern dance heritage.

When Mr. Ailey began creating dances, he drew upon his “blood memories” of Texas, the blues, spirituals, and gospel as inspiration, which resulted in the creation of his most popular and critically acclaimed work, Revelations, now celebrating 60 years. Although he created 79 ballets over his lifetime, Mr. Ailey maintained that his company was not exclusively a repository for his own work. Today, the Company continues Mr. Ailey’s mission by presenting important works of the past and commissioning new ones. In all, more than 235 works by over 90 choreographers have been part of the Ailey company’s repertory.

Before his untimely death in 1989, Alvin Ailey named Judith Jamison as his successor, and over the next 21 years, she brought the Company to unprecedented success. Ms. Jamison, in turn, personally selected Robert Battle to succeed her in 2011. In announcing his appointment as Artistic Director, she stated, “Combining an intimate knowledge of the Ailey company with an independent perspective,

About Sadler’s Wells 
Sadler's Wells is a world-leading dance organisation. We strive to make and share dance that inspires us all. Our acclaimed year-round programme spans dance of every kind, from contemporary to flamenco, Bollywood to ballet, salsa to street dance and tango to tap. 

We commission, produce and present more dance than any other organisation in the world. Since 2005, we have helped to bring close to 200 new dance works to the stage, embracing both the popular and the unknown. 

Each year, over half a million people visit our three London theatres - Sadler’s Wells Theatre, Lilian Baylis Studio and Peacock Theatre. Millions more attend our touring productions nationally and internationally or explore our digital platforms, including Sadler’s Wells Digital Stage. In 2023 we’re opening a fourth London venue in Stratford’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. Sadler’s Wells East will house a 550-seat mid-scale theatre, as well as facilities for the Choreographic School and Hip Hop Theatre Academy.  

Supporting artists is at the heart of our work. We have associate artists and companies, which nurture some of the most exciting talent working in dance today. We host the National Youth Dance Company, which draws together some of the brightest young dancers from across the country. Sadler’s Wells Breakin' Convention runs professional development programmes to champion and develop the world’s best hip hop artists, as well as producing, programming and touring groundbreaking hip hop performances.  

Around 30,000 people take part in our learning and engagement programmes every year. We support schools local to our theatres in Islington and Stratford, designing experiences for children and young people to watch, explore and critically engage with the arts. We also run Company of Elders, a resident performance company of dancers aged over 60 who rehearse with renowned artists to make new work for public performances locally, nationally and internationally. 

Sadler’s Wells is an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation.  

www.sadlerswells.com  

Stay up to date with everything Sadler’s Wells on social media 
Facebook: @SadlersWells 
Twitter: @Sadlers_Wells 
Instagram: @sadlers_wells 
YouTube: Sadler’s Wells Theatre 

8b12b92bb447efaf162d64f05c6146d868c78979.png 

• Like 3

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Alvin Ailey companies at Sadler's Wells and on tour Autumn 2023
  • 2 months later...

Just wondering, could anyone recommend which Alvin Ailey show to book for? As I can see there are 4 at Sadler's Wells in September: Ailey Classics, Modern Masters, Contemporary Voices, 21st Century Creations.

I think I will only be able to make it to one though. Would Ailey Classics be the best one to book for? But I'm tempted by Modern Masters as it has a Twyla Tharp piece and I haven't really seen any of her work live. Both have Revelations on the bill.

• Like 1

I chose the Classics programme but I’ve never seen the company live before so I just picked what overall looked like the best bill to me. Not sure if you have seen but for 3 out of the 4 shows there is individual trailers on the sadlers wells website (if you go into each show individually and scroll down a bit). Unfortunately modern masters is the only one that doesn’t have its own trailer(there’s just excerpts from Revelations) but there are excerpts on the Twyla and also the other work-Dancing Spirit on YouTube. I really liked the look of Dancing Spirit so i thought it was quite tempting. But as I’m only going to one realistically I was always going to go for the one called Classics 😂 I’m sure they will all be good though! 

• Like 1

I've gone for the classics programme because my view is that if you can only choose one show for a visiting company you haven't seen before, you should go with what they're best known for - unless there's a piece that you really want to see.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Just wondering, could anyone recommend which Alvin Ailey show to book for? As I can see there are 4 at Sadler's Wells in September: Ailey Classics, Modern Masters, Contemporary Voices, 21st Century Creations.

I think I will only be able to make it to one though. Would Ailey Classics be the best one to book for? But I'm tempted by Modern Masters as it has a Twyla Tharp piece and I haven't really seen any of her work live. Both have Revelations on the bill.

Depends on whether you are more keen to see all Ailey or more keen to see one of Tharp’s works (and you’ll get to see Ailey’s legendary Revelations on that programme too). For my own personal reasons I have to see Cry (an extended solo originally made on Judith Jamison) having waited decades for it to come back to London, and the full length The River (having only seen the ballerina’s solo in the film The Turning Point and in galas/competitions). For those who follow the history of dance in 1960 to 1990 (not everyone does!) those pieces by Ailey, who died tragically young in 1989 aged 59, are iconic. But if one doesn’t have that connection or history, Modern Masters offers more variety which is also nice. I’ll probably try to catch two programmes.

Why not see MM in the first week, then if you like Ailey’s work, catch Ailey’s Classics the following week? Or the other way round if that’s more convenient. 😊

• Like 3

Isn't Revelations on every programme?  (I haven't looked, but that's usually the way).  I thought they'd done Cry a while back, but I could be confusing it with something else.  I've seen them do The River, but that may have been back in their 1992 visit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Isn't Revelations on every programme?  (I haven't looked, but that's usually the way).  I thought they'd done Cry a while back, but I could be confusing it with something else.  I've seen them do The River, but that may have been back in their 1992 visit.

Revelations isn’t on one of the programmes with new choreography...the one called 21st Century Creations (which I thought was odd as I assumed it was a custom that the company danced Revelations at the end of every show when on tour!) Maybe they decided not to as they thought people going for that programme would be attending  more than one programme? I think they probably have brought Cry and The River in the past, but I haven’t managed to catch them on every visit so I really want to be sure to catch both this time. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

Revelations is also on the programme for Alvin Ailey 2, which is touring regionally in the autumn. I'm not sure if it can be the whole piece as I get the impression that it's a fairly small troupe.

Replying to Art_enthusiast, i think that the best programme is the Ailey classic bill, Ailey's choreography at its very best. So much so that I once did a Eurostar day trip to Paris just to see it, even though I live 200 miles from London.  In the past the standard of choreography danced by the Ailey troupe has been somewhat variable, although it looks stronger in the season at the Wells; the dancers, of course, are superb.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just received an email from Sadlers Wells:

Change to your event - please read

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater

5 - 16 September

We are writing to let you know about a change to the advertised programme for Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater. 

Unfortunately, the company will no longer perform BUSK as part of the 21st Century Creations programme on 8 and 14 September, and the Contemporary Voices programme on 5, 10 and 16 September.

They are excited, however, to present two pieces, For Four and Unfold both by Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater'Artistic Director, Robert Battle in its place. 

We apologise for any disappointment this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

The programmes for Ailey Classics and Modern Masters remain unchanged,

Your tickets remain valid for the revised programme, but please contact the Ticket Office no later than 24 hours before the performance date on your tickets if you would like to exchange them to another event, return for a credit voucher, or receive a refund.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Throughout the main company's run at Sadler's Wells, I've been musing on how the junior company would dance Revelations.  I'm sure it will be fascinating.  I think the main company brought The Hunt on a previous visit, although I can't remember it right at the moment.  But Forsythe?  Wow.