Anyone’s child move away to do L3 Extended in dance? diploma

Emsyduck

Just wondering if anyone’s child has moved away from home at 16 to do a L3 extended diploma in dance? 
DD currently 15 and hasn’t got a confirmed offer for a diploma school yet and I was wondering whether we need to look at a L3 course. Even though her dance teacher has said it would be below her level. My DD is keen to move away to continue her studies in dance. Any ideas, opinions and advice would be very greatly received.

Not an answer to your question, exactly, but I would think applying to a course that her teacher says would not stretch her would probably be frustrating (and a waste of time/ money). Would waiting a year, doing dance and starting A Levels or other academics, and reapplying for diploma courses be an option?

Edited by SissonneDoublee
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Emsyduck said:

Just wondering if anyone’s child has moved away from home at 16 to do a L3 extended diploma in dance? 
DD currently 15 and hasn’t got a confirmed offer for a diploma school yet and I was wondering whether we need to look at a L3 course. Even though her dance teacher has said it would be below her level. My DD is keen to move away to continue her studies in dance. Any ideas, opinions and advice would be very greatly received.

My DD moved away at 16 to do a 3 year course which incorporates the L3 extended diploma and also the DDE, she is loving it and is getting amazing training.  The course takes student from 16 and those students do the L3 BTEC but it also takes older students who just do the 3 year college diploma and DDE so the level of training is certainly not below her level.  My DD had her IDTA Advanced ballet and high grades in Jazz and Tap but is still developing and gaining a great deal from the course.  I do think it depends on where you go for the L3 though but happy to answer any questions

• Like 2

If you are looking at her moving away then it is possible that her teacher only has knowledge of local, low standard Level 3 dance courses run at perhaps an FE college.  I know that locally to me there is a dance school running the L3 Btec and they provide very high standard classes.

1 hour ago, Jewel said:

If you are looking at her moving away then it is possible that her teacher only has knowledge of local, low standard Level 3 dance courses run at perhaps an FE college.  I know that locally to me there is a dance school running the L3 Btec and they provide very high standard classes.

May I ask which school is near you please?

2 hours ago, Milzmam said:

My DD moved away at 16 to do a 3 year course which incorporates the L3 extended diploma and also the DDE, she is loving it and is getting amazing training.  The course takes student from 16 and those students do the L3 BTEC but it also takes older students who just do the 3 year college diploma and DDE so the level of training is certainly not below her level.  My DD had her IDTA Advanced ballet and high grades in Jazz and Tap but is still developing and gaining a great deal from the course.  I do think it depends on where you go for the L3 though but happy to answer any questions

May I ask which school she is attending please?