New Book on Cranko

On 14/12/2022 at 09:43, Jan McNulty said:

This week in Links I've published a couple of book items.  Below for perusal:

Wendy Perron's list of notable dance books in 2022  [...]   Ashley Killar's biography of John Cranko reviewed

Jan - sorry to be dense but do you think the Cranko book is new or re-isssued? I can't seem to find that info - it has a publication date of 2022 but the photo on the front looks familiar ...I borrowed a biography like that of Cranko from the library a long time ago.

Thanks and apologies  Jacky

Edited by alison
Added quote for context

The Killar book is a new publication. It looks as if Amazon miscalculated about the sort of demand there would be for the book Amazon.had it in stock very recently.Although there are several books in German about Cranko and the Stuttgart company as far as I know the only other book in English on Cranko is one written many years ago by John Percival. Understandably it assumed knowledge which contemporaries would have had while being unable to provide a critical assessment pf the man and his work. The Killar bool remedies those gaps. If you get the the ISBN  reference for it you could order the Killar book from the publisher or from a local bookshop.

• Christine changed the title to New Book on Cranko
23 hours ago, FLOSS said:

The Killar book is a new publication. It looks as if Amazon miscalculated about the sort of demand there would be for the book Amazon.had it in stock very recently.Although there are several books in German about Cranko and the Stuttgart company as far as I know the only other book in English on Cranko is one written many years ago by John Percival. Understandably it assumed knowledge which contemporaries would have had while being unable to provide a critical assessment pf the man and his work. The Killar bool remedies those gaps. If you get the the ISBN  reference for it you could order the Killar book from the publisher or from a local bookshop.

My copy just arrived yesterday. I had ordered it many months ago and now am really looking forward to reading it. 

The ISBN number btw is: 9781803132 570.

By mistake I just began a new thread on the book because I overlooked the "Ballet Reading" thread here.

I expected to find a thread on new books, publications etc. under "Ballet News" rather than "Performances and general discussions", I have to admit, but with time some threads morph into different categories I guess.

• Sim locked this topic
  • alison unlocked this topic

Recently got a copy as a belated birthday present.  It's hefty, at nearly 500 pages.  I believe it's been reprinted, if I've understood the publishers correctly, hence the delay.

I thought this was important enough to deserve its own thread - can't believe we didn't start one in the first place.

It is a new book … author Ashley Killar was planning to come over to UK from Australia for the launch in October 2022, but that got postponed due to his age and health and rising Covid cases.  

He was planning a launch and presentation at the old RB School buildings in Barons Court to which the London Ballet Circle @LBC had been invited.  

More info here https://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/book-launch-of-cranko-the-man-and-his-choreography-members-only