Olga Smirnova

Considering that Olga Smirnova may have embarked on a journey not too different from one of the most famous in ballet history, that of Anna Pavlova, I’d like to start this topic.

This recent video seems quite appropriate. I’m not sure where it was danced. I find her power of expression here to be Remarkable. It’s Fokine's “The Swan,” perhaps Anna Pavlova's most famous performance.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck3N5xlo38W/?hl=en

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 3

On 22/11/2022 at 01:13, Sharon said:

She is undoubtedly a very special artist...

Yes, Sharon, she really is.

For those who might have missed it, this is a video of Olga Smirnova and Victor Caixeta in rehearsal on World Ballet Day at the Dutch National Ballet this year. It starts at 1:19:00.

(thanks to Drew at Ballet Alert! and Sophia at Dansomanie)

• Like 2

I know I’m not the only one to find her onstage portrayals to be rather wooden.  But then I have only seen her online or on cinema.  I’m hoping she can open up her expression in Amsterdam.  The signs are good.  

The other principal ballerinas in Amsterdam are also worth travelling for.  If you go … see multiple shows 😉

- Anna Tsygankova especially for dramatic range, Anna Ol for melancholy and superior technique,  Maia Makhateli for pure joy on stage, Jessica Xuan for sensitive refined performance, and Riho Sakamoto (only age 22, promoted to principal in 2021) is extraordinary.  There are other principals too that I don’t know.

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

I know I’m not the only one to find her onstage portrayals to be rather wooden.  But then I have only seen her online or on cinema.

I saw her in a couple of Bolshoi streams & thought she was rather, well, I'd say glacial rather than wooden, but when I saw her live in Spartacus, when the Bolshoi came to the ROH in 2019, I thought she acted well. Maybe she's someone who comes over better in person than on video? Not that I can afford to go to Amsterdam to see her.

With Olga Smirnova your imagination can run wild. She’s probably the most expressive performer, in terms of theatre, in the art form. She also has had much of the finest training there is in classical dance.

In terms of expression, if someone could combine the most poetically beautiful of William Shakespeare with the most charming highlights of Walt Disney, she probably could. I would say that she’s the Meryl Streep of the art form. I would predict that her career will run for decades, with physical demands being replaced by high artistry and theatre. She may go in the direction of Christopher Wheeldon in exploring the possibilities of combining the ethereality of the ‘high arts’ with the delight of the popular ones, or she might remain one of the most refined of all performing artists in the manner of Anna Pavlova and Galina Ulanova. And then there’s the entire world in between.

That’s my Scenario #I. Want to give one of your’s a try ?   😊

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1