Olga Smirnova

Considering that Olga Smirnova may have embarked on a journey not too different from one of the most famous in ballet history, that of Anna Pavlova, I’d like to start this topic.

This recent video seems quite appropriate. I’m not sure where it was danced. I find her power of expression here to be Remarkable. It’s Fokine's “The Swan,” perhaps Anna Pavlova's most famous performance.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck3N5xlo38W/?hl=en

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 4

On 22/11/2022 at 01:13, Sharon said:

She is undoubtedly a very special artist...

Yes, Sharon, she really is.

For those who might have missed it, this is a video of Olga Smirnova and Victor Caixeta in rehearsal on World Ballet Day at the Dutch National Ballet this year. It starts at 1:19:00.

(thanks to Drew at Ballet Alert! and Sophia at Dansomanie)

• Like 2

I know I’m not the only one to find her onstage portrayals to be rather wooden.  But then I have only seen her online or on cinema.  I’m hoping she can open up her expression in Amsterdam.  The signs are good.  

The other principal ballerinas in Amsterdam are also worth travelling for.  If you go … see multiple shows 😉

- Anna Tsygankova especially for dramatic range, Anna Ol for melancholy and superior technique,  Maia Makhateli for pure joy on stage, Jessica Xuan for sensitive refined performance, and Riho Sakamoto (only age 22, promoted to principal in 2021) is extraordinary.  There are other principals too that I don’t know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

I know I’m not the only one to find her onstage portrayals to be rather wooden.  But then I have only seen her online or on cinema.

I saw her in a couple of Bolshoi streams & thought she was rather, well, I'd say glacial rather than wooden, but when I saw her live in Spartacus, when the Bolshoi came to the ROH in 2019, I thought she acted well. Maybe she's someone who comes over better in person than on video? Not that I can afford to go to Amsterdam to see her.

• Like 2

With Olga Smirnova your imagination can run wild. She’s probably the most expressive performer, in terms of theatre, in the art form. She also has had much of the finest training there is in classical dance.

In terms of expression, if someone could combine the most poetically beautiful of William Shakespeare with the most charming highlights of Walt Disney, she probably could. I would say that she’s the Meryl Streep of the art form. I would predict that her career will run for decades, with physical demands being replaced by high artistry and theatre. She may go in the direction of Christopher Wheeldon in exploring the possibilities of combining the ethereality of the ‘high arts’ with the delight of the popular ones, or she might remain one of the most refined of all performing artists in the manner of Anna Pavlova and Galina Ulanova. And then there’s the entire world in between.

That’s my Scenario #I. Want to give one of your’s a try ?   😊

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

Thanks to Annamk for posting this. I’d like to put it here as well.

Congratulations to Olga Smirnova for winning this award.

There’s much insight into Olga Smirnova in what is essentially an interview. I’d like to mention just one facet.

This might be much my own tangent at the moment, but it has been touched on by others here, perhaps. She says that she’s now very much into exploring and illustrating Dostoevsky, probably has been most of her artistic life because of her cultural background.

What about also artistically exploring, let’s say — Christopher Wheeldon ?

From the recently posted video broadcast of his Cinderella, there’s highlighted the delightfully vibrant performance of Madison Young. Here are several photos, the top one being probably the most illustrative.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClI9urKuj2X/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

This is a kind of expression that I’d love to see Olga Smirnova explore — but only if she wants to 😊 as she certainly has a thousand other options at which she can excel.

By the way, she also mentions that she might be doing a Forsythe work. That could be a fascinating change and challenge and hopefully some fun as well.

• Like 5

I’d love to see Olga Smirnova ascend to the heavens artistically as I believe that she’s doing.

I’d also love to see her experiencing as much warmth and joy as possible while doing it.

I think that she’s a courageous, greatly talented and caring person. I can only wish her the best.

• Like 2

I first noticed Smirnova dancing in London in 2011, as a student, with Sergey Strelkov, who was also a student at the Vaganova Institute (affiliated school of the Mariinsky Ballet) at the time, dancing a pas de deux called Dvorák Melody. They were both so good that a few of us in our row couldn’t believe they weren’t professionals at very least at coryphee or first artist level. We had to check our programmes several times to be sure and we were all talking excitedly about her afterwards.

There was a lot of buzz about her after her graduation, and perhaps she may have been pushed to do a lot very early- Odette/Odile, Nikiya, both Emeralds and Diamonds in the Bolshoi’s first run of Jewels. She was cast as Odette/Odile, Nikiya and the lead in Diamonds on tour in London in 2013; I went to both Bayadere and Jewels and she looked nervous in both- although she got off to a good start dramatically and lyrically, she came a cropper in the second half of the adagio with the silk train/veil in the Kingdom of the Shades and there was a similar but more subtle bobble in the Diamonds adagio (it was fixed by the time of the cinema relay later in the year from Moscow)....they weren’t major faults but her partner Semyon Chudin (more experienced and already a principal in Zurich before joining Bolshoi) said they were both nervous on their debuts. He also said they found the ROH audiences very, very warm and supportive (Chudin was a huge hit in that same season and subsequently). I saw them both in Swan Lake two years later and she had grown in assurance and artistry a great deal (although her artistry was always great, if more a subtle and lyrical dancer than the extrovert type like Alexandrova and Krysanova, whom I also liked). 

The earlier Forsythe ballets (eg In the middle, somewhat elevated, Steptext, Herman Schmerman, etc) are so unlike Smirnova, and The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude can be relentless in its technical challenges, which again seem to be not “her kind” of ballet, but she would be an obvious fit for any of the pas de deux roles in Blake Works 1 (I haven’t seen Pas/Parts on stage before), so it would be interesting to see what she gets cast in for their Forsythe Festival, if [she] gets cast, as she says. I thought it was also sweet that she said she was trying to improve her English by reading all the original Harry Potter books, having already read them in Russian (one forgets how young she is, and then you realise she was indeed a child growing up when the Harry Potter books were released, one every year, and translated into multiple languages). Ah, the 90s were good times. Congratulations to Olga on her winning the title! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I first noticed Smirnova dancing in London in 2011, as a student, with Sergey Strelkov, who was also a student at the Vaganova Institute (affiliated school of the Mariinsky Ballet) at the time, dancing a pas de deux called Dvorák Melody. They were both so good that a few of us in our row couldn’t believe they weren’t professionals at very least at coryphee or first artist level. We had to check our programmes several times to be sure and we were all talking excitedly about her afterwards.

There was a lot of buzz about her after her graduation, and perhaps she may have been pushed to do a lot very early- Odette/Odile, Nikiya, both Emeralds and Diamonds in the Bolshoi’s first run of Jewels. She was cast as Odette/Odile, Nikiya and the lead in Diamonds on tour in London in 2013; I went to both Bayadere and Jewels and she looked nervous in both- although she got off to a good start dramatically and lyrically, she came a cropper in the second half of the adagio with the silk train/veil in the Kingdom of the Shades and there was a similar but more subtle bobble in the Diamonds adagio (it was fixed by the time of the cinema relay later in the year from Moscow)....they weren’t major faults but her partner Semyon Chudin (more experienced and already a principal in Zurich before joining Bolshoi) said they were both nervous on their debuts. He also said they found the ROH audiences very, very warm and supportive (Chudin was a huge hit in that same season and subsequently). I saw them both in Swan Lake two years later and she had grown in assurance and artistry a great deal (although her artistry was always great, if more a subtle and lyrical dancer than the extrovert type like Alexandrova and Krysanova, whom I also liked). 

The earlier Forsythe ballets (eg In the middle, somewhat elevated, Steptext, Herman Schmerman, etc) are so unlike Smirnova, and The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude can be relentless in its technical challenges, which again seem to be not “her kind” of ballet, but she would be an obvious fit for any of the pas de deux roles in Blake Works 1 (I haven’t seen Pas/Parts on stage before), so it would be interesting to see what she gets cast in for their Forsythe Festival, if [she] gets cast, as she says. I thought it was also sweet that she said she was trying to improve her English by reading all the original Harry Potter books, having already read them in Russian (one forgets how young she is, and then you realise she was indeed a child growing up when the Harry Potter books were released, one every year, and translated into multiple languages). Ah, the 90s were good times. Congratulations to Olga on her winning the title! 

Hi, Emeralds. I’ve enjoyed very much reading your very interesting post. Thank you.

I first saw her in London also, at the Galina Ulanova Gala. I don’t remember at what level she was at, but I wrote that she set a new bar for beginning professionals to achieve. I’m one not to let technical insecurities  bother me very much if I see what I consider to be outstanding Overall Qualities or Essence. This was certainly the case with the Mariinsky’s Oxana Skorik at the beginning of her career. I do have to say that I’ve noticed none with Olga Smirnova except for a slight lack of surety when she impressively appeared at a Mariinsky Festival with an injury.

Her English is quite fine, which is a real added plus for appreciating her. I once read that she was an all “A” student.

Thanks for the insight into the Forsythe works. I basically know the ‘rockers,’ which I’d love to see her try along with some similar Twyla Tharp. It could add a new dimension and be some fun as well as another physical victory accomplished.

And thanks, Sim (and Emeralds), for your approval of my particular train of thought in my several most recent posts. It’s somewhat specific, but I hope that it has some validity in defining and suggesting the development of this remarkable artist.

I’ve mainly focused on her exceptional qualities of expression. A major factor is facial expression. Ballet, being an art of refinement and subtleties, it can sometimes go under appreciated, but her use of it is outstanding and highly effective.

The other important element, perhaps the most important to some, is her physicality. Her’s, once again, is exceptional. I’d like to make an attempt at describing it sometime. What’s most noticeable to me at the moment is her sculptural beauty, the magnificent design and affect of her motion and how well this all combines with what her mind and emotions, shown in her face, are radiating.   

(You may have some fun counting the number of superlatives that I used here.  😊)

Edited by Buddy
grammar and typo correction
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Emeralds said:

The earlier Forsythe ballets (eg In the middle, somewhat elevated, Steptext, Herman Schmerman, etc) are so unlike Smirnova, and The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude can be relentless in its technical challenges, which again seem to be not “her kind” of ballet, but she would be an obvious fit for any of the pas de deux roles in Blake Works 1 (I haven’t seen Pas/Parts on stage before), so it would be interesting to see what she gets cast in for their Forsythe Festival, if [she] gets cast, as she says. 

Hi again, Emeralds.

In watching some not too distant video clips I was reminded of her speed of light, across stage spins, which she does seem to take some pleasure in and for which, I believe, she was noted for in her Vaganova school days. I doubt if she’d want to be identified largely with these today, but the physical ability is there, which could produce some interesting results in attempting Forsythe.

I sometimes think of what I’d like most to see in a work and it would generally be lyrical grace, but….every now and then things might 'innocently-joyfully start to fly!.'

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

I guess that it’s that kind of day today. So just one more.

Sometimes when an artist presents something beautifully, like Olga Smirnova, and it’s something that you can at all sympathise with, it can be best to just sit back and be carried along.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

Having mentioned Oxana Skorik, I could add something. Many consider Olga Smirnova and her to be the two best ballerinas in the world. They are probably my two favorites. Which one do I think is the best and like most ? I can’t really say. They have wonderful, contrasting qualities.

I consider Olga Smirnova to be more of an expressionist. I feel that she moved increasingly in this direction after joining the Bolshoi, which tends to be more expressive than the Mariinsky. Oxana Skorik is a pure dance beauty, characteristic of her company, the Mariinsky.

Whom would I prefer to see ?  Again, I’m not sure. I tend to favor the more ethereal dance style of Oxana Skorik and the Mariinsky, but this is totally a personal choice. Both ballerinas and companies are equally fine. When I used to see Oxana Skorik at least twice a year I probably would have chosen Olga Smirnova because I saw her much less and because she might be the more outwardly interesting of the two. Still, my preference being weighted towards a refined beauty, I do like Oxana Skorik very much and when she commits herself to her expression she’s an all around display of magnificence.

Olga Smirnova seems to be moving further into expression and perhaps more away from the refined beauty that characterises the Mariinsky school (Vaganova, where she studied) and all the ballet from Russia that I love. The longer duration she spends away from Russia the likelier this may be the case. But her Vaganova refinement will probably always shine through, making her one of a kind and someone very special. It’s also possible that she’ll take on a more international identity which could be very exciting. As an expressively fascinating and compelling ballet artist, she’s probably unequaled.

Then comes the next generation. For refinement, I’d chose the Bolshoi’s Alyona Kovalyova. Her Vaganova (Mariinsky school) training and manner shine. For expression, it would be the Bolshoi’s very young Eva Sergeyenkova, who although being very much her own person, is following impressively in the footsteps of Olga Smirnova. Both have been accelerated in recognition because the vacuum left at the Bolshoi by Olga Smirnova. It’s worth noting that Olga Smirnova has expressed her strong desire to be part of a cultural and social renaissance in a someday peaceful and politically humane new Russia. So she could still be a major influence there and I’d love to see that.

One other name that I would like to mention is that of Valeria Kuznetsova, still a student at the Perm Ballet school in Russia. She has the lovely grace of Oxana Skorik and Alyona Kovalyova, along with perhaps some of the expressive abilities of Olga Smirnova and Eva Sergeyenkova. I’d be delighted to see her at the Mariinsky.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 3

I mentioned in my previous post that I thought that whatever directions she pursues her beautiful Vaganova (Mariinsky school) manner will still be there. She does say in the interview that she’ll be performing a Swan Lake in March. It’s always good to hear this sort of thing.

And as she pursues new directions, could anything be done lovelier. From back in September….

John Neumeier’s “Third Symphony of Mahler.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cis1zRjI8UP/?hl=en

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Nothing from her site about any new performances since December. Previously she only has classical performances posted, several each month, mostly with the Royal Dutch Ballet, starting in September. This is fine with me in that she remains one of the top several classical dancers in the world today. I do also look forward to the day when she does something really her own.

This is a nice video interview (only audio content) that some of you probably know about from January. Nothing really new, but some good thoughts along with the mention that she was working with Wayne McGregor at the Royal Dutch Ballet in January.

An interview with Olga Smirnova | Why Dance Matters

Royal Academy of Dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLak7u3Xm20

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Buddy said:

This is a nice video interview (only audio content) that some of you probably know about from January. Nothing really new, but some good thoughts along with the mention that she was working with Wayne McGregor at the Royal Dutch Ballet in January.

An interview with Olga Smirnova | Why Dance Matters

Royal Academy of Dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLak7u3Xm20

I hadn't noticed this interview so thank you for highlighting it. I really enjoyed listening to her. 

I’m afraid that I can’t resist a segue from these posts to the kind of comment which is being made within other threads.

On the face of it, we British fans (and media) seem to find it easier to elevate non UK ballerinas to superstardom status than to recognise that we have their ‘equivalents’ in our midst - each with their unique qualities, of course, but no less worthy of celebration.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, capybara said:

I’m afraid that I can’t resist a segue from these posts to the kind of comment which is being made within other threads.

On the face of it, we British fans (and media) seem to find it easier to elevate non UK ballerinas to superstardom status than to recognise that we have their ‘equivalents’ in our midst - each with their unique qualities, of course, but no less worthy of celebration.

In general I agree with you but tbh with Olga I don't think there are any British ballerinas who are her level at the moment. The first time I saw Olga I did not know who she was, but when I saw her dance I knew she was special.

• Like 3

Slightly off topic - but would it perhaps be useful to have a folder with threads on specific dancers/choroegraphers etc (like this one) that can be updated for those who want to follow specific dancers?

I know the Alina and Osipova ones are regularly added too.  It might encourage posts where perhaps you wouldn't start an entire thread but you might add a post about them if you heard or knew something that might interest followers of that dancer. 

• Like 2

On February 18, she’s scheduled to perform at the Dance for Ukraine gala at the London Palladium.

https://lwtheatres.co.uk/whats-on/dance-for-ukraine-in-aid-of-the-arts-in-ukraine/

On March 17,  she’s scheduled to appear at the Ballet Icons Gala at the London Coliseum.

https://balleticonsgala.com/

(Both posted at Ballet Alert!)

This might be a very interesting glimpse back.

https://www.for-ballet-lovers-only.com/ulanova-gala-2011-2.html

This is where I first saw Olga Smirnova. I believe that she was still a student, but like TSR101 “I knew she was special.” 

(It’s also where I discovered Daria Klimentova (born in Prague, 20 years with the English National Ballet) and was very impressed.)

Edited by Buddy

10 hours ago, capybara said:

Personally I really don't care what nationality a dancer is, (it's not football where I will have my flag out cheering on my home team); nationality simply doesn't inform my response to the artistic qualities of a dancer, whether it does for the British media or other fans here I couldn't say. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, annamk said:

Personally I really don't care what nationality a dancer is, (it's not football where I will have my flag out cheering on my home team); nationality simply doesn't inform my response to the artistic qualities of a dancer, whether it does for the British media or other fans here I couldn't say. 

It doesn't inform my response to the artistic qualities of a dancer; but I do have a particular care about and interest in the history of ballet in the UK, the quality of current ballet training in the UK, and the quality of current dancers from the UK. So yes, nationality does have some relevance for me.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Buddy said:

On February 18, she’s scheduled to perform at the Dance for Ukraine gala at the London Palladium.

https://lwtheatres.co.uk/whats-on/dance-for-ukraine-in-aid-of-the-arts-in-ukraine/

On March 17,  she’s scheduled to appear at the Ballet Icons Gala at the London Coliseum.

https://balleticonsgala.com/

(Both posted at Ballet Alert!)

This might be a very interesting glimpse back.

https://www.for-ballet-lovers-only.com/ulanova-gala-2011-2.html

This is where I first saw Olga Smirnova. I believe that she was still a student, but like TSR101 “I knew she was special.” 

(It’s also where I discovered Daria Klimentova (born in Prague, 20 years with the English National Ballet) and was very impressed.)

Hope you're coming to London to see Olga and colleagues on Feb 18 and March 17, Buddy! Not to be missed! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

Buddy, you could combine a trip to London on 17 March, with a quick hop over to Amsterdam, where Olga is creating the lead in Wayne Macgregor's new ballet, Antigone.  There are 9 performances between 9 and 24 March, although the opening night is already sold out.  There are performances on 15 and 20 March.

https://www.operaballet.nl/en/dutch-national-opera-ballet/2023-2024/jocastas-line

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, li tai po said:

Buddy, you could combine a trip to London on 17 March, with a quick hop over to Amsterdam, where Olga is creating the lead in Wayne Macgregor's new ballet, Antigone.  There are 9 performances between 9 and 24 March, although the opening night is already sold out.  There are performances on 15 and 20 March.

https://www.operaballet.nl/en/dutch-national-opera-ballet/2023-2024/jocastas-line

I was excited about this opportunity - then I read Wayne McGregor! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, li tai po said:

Thank you, but I’ll be on the other side of an ocean and another continent. Hopefully some other time.

Edited by Buddy