This evening I saw Tamara Rojo’s last performance. It was in Akram Khan’s Giselle, in Paris, at the Theatre des Champs Elysees, the theatre where Stravinsky’s and Nijinsky’s Rite of Spring caused a riot at the premiere, over 100 years ago.

Partnering her was her life partner, Isaac Hernandez, guesting from their new company, San Francisco Ballet. The other main roles were taken by Ken Saruhashi and Stina Quagebeur, in the Myrthe type role she created in Khan’s version.

The theatre was unbearably hot, which affected one’s concentration, and the stage was even darker than ever- I couldn’t clearly see Tamara’s face, even though I had an excellent seat, and even when I tried my opera glasses.  Watching a dancer’s expression is important in a dramatic piece, no matter how expressive their dancing.

Despite these minor reservations the performance was a triumph. The pas de deux in the second act was performed with special tenderness by Tamara and Isaac and the entire cast gave an inspired performance.

The audience had watched in quiet concentration throughout and erupted with wild applause at the end, especially for Tamara and Stina, presumably it was her last performance too. There was a show of flowers, not I think a flower throw, as they seemed to come from above the stage. And it was moving when Isaac brought their toddler on to the stage, who loved running to the front of the stage to join his mum and applauded enthusiastically. Who knows what his future might be!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

• alison changed the title to Tamara Rojo’s last performance

Such sadness when the performing career of a great dancer comes to an end. I will never forget Rojo in so many roles, especially Giselle (primarily the traditional one - she was also excellent in Khan's but that doesn't really allow for character development), Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet, Mayerling, Manon, Song of the Earth and so many other roles. Brilliant technically but also thrillingly and seamlessly dramatic. The years when she and Cojocaru were performing regularly at Covent Garden were just thrilling. She's clearly a talented director but I regret that she left the RB and its extensive and impressive repertoire when still at the height of her powers as a dancer - there were still great performances with ENB, but fewer and further between. But such a privilege to have witnessed most of her career and so many breathtaking performances.

• Like 17

15 hours ago, SheilaC said:

This evening I saw Tamara Rojo’s last performance. It was in Akram Khan’s Giselle, in Paris, at the Theatre des Champs Elysees, the theatre where Stravinsky’s and Nijinsky’s Rite of Spring caused a riot at the premiere, over 100 years ago.

Partnering her was her life partner, Isaac Hernandez, guesting from their new company, San Francisco Ballet. The other main roles were taken by Ken Saruhashi and Stina Quagebeur, in the Myrthe type role she created in Khan’s version.

The theatre was unbearably hot, which affected one’s concentration, and the stage was even darker than ever- I couldn’t clearly see Tamara’s face, even though I had an excellent seat, and even when I tried my opera glasses.  Watching a dancer’s expression is important in a dramatic piece, no matter how expressive their dancing.

Despite these minor reservations the performance was a triumph. The pas de deux in the second act was performed with special tenderness by Tamara and Isaac and the entire cast gave an inspired performance.

The audience had watched in quiet concentration throughout and erupted with wild applause at the end, especially for Tamara and Stina, presumably it was her last performance too. There was a show of flowers, not I think a flower throw, as they seemed to come from above the stage. And it was moving when Isaac brought their toddler on to the stage, who loved running to the front of the stage to join his mum and applauded enthusiastically. Who knows what his future might be!

Thanks for your report, SheilaC! Great to hear from someone who attended.

Interesting to read that the Theatre des Champs Elysees was hot and the lighting was too dark (when I’ve watched the production at Sadler’s Wells it isn’t the darkest ENB ballet I’ve  seen - that “prize” goes to Russell Maliphant’s Second Breath lit by Michael Hulls, which is really hard work trying to see anything). Sounds like they should have turned the heating down and the lighting up! (Wonder how they are managing to afford the electricity/gas to keep the auditorium so hot!) 

I will miss seeing Stina and Tamara on stage- both still dancing brilliantly. For me, Stina’s portrayal of Myrtha in the video clips from ENB was what compelled me to see the ballet. Best wishes to them both! 

• Like 4

Having just read Jane S’s reference to twitter I’ve checked it and wonder if Akram Khan was backstage if it was the 100th performance. One of the things I didn’t mention in the rather rushed posting was  that during the applause  at the end, Tamara ran to the wings to encourage someone to join her and the rest of the dancers on stage, but whoever it was refused and she shrugged her shoulders and ran back. I wondered at the time if it could be Akram Khan and it now seems even more likely. Also Loipa was on stage, she must have been a major support and mentor as well as being such a renowned teacher.

• Like 3

A reminder that Tamara Rojo is talking to The London Ballet Circle tonight at 7.30pm with the Dance Writer Graham Watts acting as host.

In person bookings are now closed but anyone wanting to listen on Zoom can still enrol on : https://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/in-conversation-with-tamara-rojo-in-person-and-zoom  

As this is a hybrid event and a technician is needed to ensure a good relay from The Royal Ballet School via zoom, there is a charge for both members and non-members.

Anyone who books will receive a confirmation email which includes the zoom link.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Telegraph seems to have disappeared behind a paywall even if you have registered for 2 free articles a month.  I included an interview with Tamara Rojo in links this morning for those people who subscribe but may have missed it.

I have just discovered you can see the content of the article if you do a google search on ballet - MSN is showing the full content at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

If you're very quick off the mark, and don't mind too much what it looks like, you may at least be able to access the text of a number of behind-paywall articles.  I've managed it on a couple of New York Times articles recently.  It's not pretty, but it's legible enough.  I don't think it will work on the Financial Times, though.