Kyiv City Ballet

The Theatre Royal York has just announced that Kyiv City Ballet will be returning for another performance on 30 March 2023. The programme will include excerpts from Don Q, Bayadere and Paquita. I have no idea if this time they will perform anywhere else in the UK.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

BRB performed Paquita during the Autumn season in 2008 or 2009.  I remember Chi being incredibly memorable in it doing 8 double tours in alternate directions during his solo.  The only other dancer who came near him was Joe Caley who did 8 but all in the same direction.  I saw it in Sunderland as well as Birmingham.

(But it's still a long time ago!)

• Like 1

We could possibly make it up to York that day with the usual caveats eg no strikes or cancellations, etc, and it would involve an overnight stay but if the weather is good, it  could be a fun opportunity to see York, which I’ve not yet visited. Of course, not just for the convenience of audiences in other cities, but I think the company would benefit from the large “catchments” of dance fans in other cities like Birmingham, London and Manchester, to list just three.

I notice now that with the invasion (sadly), it has led to a quiet resurgence in ballets or one act works which have a predominantly female cast- eg Paquita Act 3, Les Sylphides/Chopiniana, the Kingdom of the Shades scene from Bayadere etc - by the Ukrainian ensembles. That’s good for those of us who have missed those pieces in the repertoire, but is a sobering reminder that the male company members who would be taking the men’s roles in ballets that have more featured male roles like Romeo and Juliet, Le Corsaire, etc are serving as troops, national guard, police, etc and hence they can’t stage those works. 

• Like 1

Booking opened this afternoon at the yorktheatreroyal.co.uk  (01904 623568). Box office staff are very helpful.

The information so far is still just of the 3 excerpts I listed earlier and one from a ballet Tribute to Peace.

The Theatre Royal is an exquisite small Matcham theatre. It is very convenient for the station, the art gallery, the cathedral, not to mention Betty's! And if you don't know York, Emeralds, it is a lovely old city with lots of museums and small independent shops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I’ve just booked 2 (restricted view) tickets but no idea if I’ll be able to arrange to get there as yet! So 🤞🏻
Any one know just how restricted D21/22 in Dress Circle will be? They looked central row about halfway  up - like they’d usually be amazing seats!!! Wondering if there will be film camera in front or something? Anyway, was spurred on by your tourism promotion Shiela - have happy memories of days out in York as a child with my Dad! Too far now from me for a day trip so thinking a birthday treat weekend away could be a plan 😉

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Wonder if we can write to RMT to ask if they can call off the one on 30/3/23!, seeing as they already have three other strikes on 16 & 18 March and 1st April......!

The Theatre Royal Bath shows are on Sunday 16 April at 3pm and 7.30pm, with booking opening on 6 March, according to the theatre website. This company is the troupe of dancers who were stranded in Paris when Ukraine was invaded while they were on tour at the Théâtre du Châtelet.

Hopefully there will be no strikes on 16 April and we can make it to one of the Bath shows.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sadly I’m now unlikely to be able to make it up to York to use the tickets I bought - ever hopeful! 
DM me anyone who might be interested to buy these…

Where can I get info of other venues/dates as actually Bath would be much closer for me!