NBS/BIMM granted university status

balletbean

• Jan McNulty changed the title to NBS/BIMM granted university status
3 hours ago, MrsKrabz said:

So does this mean a change over to student finance for NBS or will it keep dada funding? 🤔

I was wondering the same but it would depend on the pupils ages as I believe that you have to be at least 18 to apply for a student loan. Some MT colleges offer both the Diploma and Degree with their respective available funding methods to cater for the various ages of their students. 

Edited by balletbean

1 minute ago, balletbean said:

I was wondering the same but it would depend on the pupils ages as I believe that you have to be at least 18 to apply for a student loan. Some MT colleges offer both the Diploma and Degree to cater for the various ages of their students. 

I think it’s 16 years for student finance x

My non dancing child applied for BIMM this academic year although they turned it down to accept a place elsewhere.  BIMM's music colleges have always offered a range of courses which include degree and diploma courses at various levels so and they already had degree awarding powers so I don't see why anything would change in the near future.  I'd guess that they may offer a degree option at NBS in the future as they already do at Performers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jewel said:

My non dancing child applied for BIMM this academic year although they turned it down to accept a place elsewhere.  BIMM's music colleges have always offered a range of courses which include degree and diploma courses at various levels so and they already had degree awarding powers so I don't see why anything would change in the near future.  I'd guess that they may offer a degree option at NBS in the future as they already do at Performers.

It will be interesting to see if NBS are still offered the same amount of DaDa’s as they do now or will this be reduced in hope that prospective pupils are eligible for the degree and therefore a Student Loan. What I don’t understand but happy for someone to educate me is that at other colleges where they offer both a student on the degree course shares the same classes as another on the Diploma course even though there’s a significant difference in the fees. 

2 hours ago, balletbean said:

where they offer both a student on the degree course shares the same classes as another on the Diploma course even though there’s a significant difference in the fees

Some suggestions:

I think you'd need to look at the learning objectives and outcomes for each course, and the modules within each course (if it's modularised). It's likely that there are different benchmarks and marking criteria for the different levels, even if they share some classes. Also, there may be other kinds of, and extra work set & assessed for the degree level course.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kate_N said:

Some suggestions:

I think you'd need to look at the learning objectives and outcomes for each course, and the modules within each course (if it's modularised). It's likely that there are different benchmarks and marking criteria for the different levels, even if they share some classes. Also, there may be other kinds of, and extra work set & assessed for the degree level course.

Thank you. 

5 hours ago, balletbean said:

It will be interesting to see if NBS are still offered the same amount of DaDa’s as they do now or will this be reduced in hope that prospective pupils are eligible for the degree and therefore a Student Loan. What I don’t understand but happy for someone to educate me is that at other colleges where they offer both a student on the degree course shares the same classes as another on the Diploma course even though there’s a significant difference in the fees. 

My daughter is at a college that teaches the diploma and degree classes together for all practical lessons (dance, acting etc) but they have separate academic modules. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1