XIV Moscow International Ballet Competition

As I understood, the junior group of this competition consists of the dancers aged 14-17 and the senior one - of those aged 18-27. 

I do agree that Maria Iljushkina and Maria Koshkareva danced beautifully, but in case of senior duets (where Maria Iljushkina was competing) I preferred Elena Svinko's dance (she's from the National theatre of Siberia in Krasnoyarsk that was on tour in England last winter) and a great performance of Camilla Ismagilova, with their respective partners.

Anastasia Smirnova (senior group, women solo) , in my opinion, should have won the 1st prize and golden medal, and I especially liked Valeria Kuznetsova from Perm Choreography school (she won the 2nd prize and a silver medal in junior duets). She danced Odette's adagio just as if she was telling the story of the princess doomed by the Evil to be a swan, and she's just 17! To my mind she should have been awarded the 1st place and golden medal, at least!

@Buddy

To your list of young ballerinas to admire, I would add Elizaveta Kokoreva (21?).  She was promoted to first soloist at Bolshoi last week, and has already performed leads in Nutcracker, Coppélia, La Sylphide, Rubies and Don Q (partnered by Ivan Vasiliev!) 

• Like 1

@FionaE I saw Elizaveta Kokoreva in the cinema relay of Jewels back in January (she was in Rubies) and she absolutely stood out! I didn't know her at all before that night and immediately followed her on social media afterwards because I was sure this would be a dancer and a career worth following closely. So I'm really happy about her promotion!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Estreiiita said:

Anastasia Smirnova (senior group, women solo) , in my opinion, should have won the 1st prize and golden medal, and I especially liked Valeria Kuznetsova from Perm Choreography school (she won the 2nd prize and a silver medal in junior duets). She danced Odette's adagio just as if she was telling the story of the princess doomed by the Evil to be a swan, and she's just 17! To my mind she should have been awarded the 1st place and golden medal, at least!

Estreiiita, Anastasia Smirnova is very good in the two videos that I've seen and  I do agree with you about the quality of Valeria Kuznetsova from the Perm Choreography School. She's absolutely lovely !

I've also seen some wonderful full length video performances from the parent Perm Tchaikovsky Opera and Ballet Theatre.

These are the two of her performances that I could find posted separately. They are solos from the duets. 

Valeria Kuznetsova  (Perm Choreography School)

Aurora Dream Variation  (Junior Round 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRbEp7XdAsA

Florine Variation (Junior Round 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkq9q69Jaeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buddy said:

Estreiiita, Anastasia Smirnova is very good in the two videos that I've seen and  I do agree with you about the quality of Valeria Kuznetsova from the Perm Choreography School. She's absolutely lovely !

……

Me “three”…on Valeria Kuznetsova’s extraordinary Odette!

I just had time to watch the full gala. While there’s lots to admire in all medalists…I would’ve given golds to different dancers in almost all categories. Bear in mind - I’m basing this only on the gala.

Jr girls solo - I agreed with the gold medalist in  this category (and in Sr Men solo). Totally love Maria Koshkareva’s lightness and musicality! Perfect Shirin in Legend of Love.  (So much Yuri Grigorovich…Was there a bonus for selecting his choreography? LOL!)

Jr girls duet - Agree that Kuznetsova was the best in this category but I would’ve given her gold, not silver.

Jr boys solo - Lucas Dobos (Romania) danced Frekhad (Legend of Love) so fiercely! He looks a bit like Mukhamedov.

Jr boys duet - Only one medalist - a silver - in this category. Roma Hudzeleu of Belarus danced his Bournonville Flower Fest solo admirably.

Sr women solo - As much as I enjoyed Smirnova’s oomph as Gamzatti…I absolutely adored Yumin Kim’s (Korea) Aurora A1 solo, full of finesse. Exquisite. So delicate and controlled diagonal of triple pirouettes! I would’ve given her the top spot in this category. 

Sr women duet - With all respect for beautiful Iliushkina…for me: clear winner AMANDA GOMEZ (Brazil)!!!!! Absolute STAR POWER!!! Hands down, my Favorite of the entire event.  Gorgeous Phrygia-Spartacus. A young-Vishneva face! Wow Wow Wow! Get her to a top-five company now.

Sr Men solo - I agree with Dmitry Smilevsky’s gold medal. Wonderful elevation and gorgeous feet in entrechats, in his Paquita solo!

Sr Men Duet - Kubanich Shamakeev of Kyrgyzstan in the very first number of the gala, the Don Q pdd. OMG OMG OMG!!!! This guy dances well enough (enormous cabrioles…balón)not perfect…but it’s the performance factor that wowed me. What FIRE! THIS GUY MUST DANCE! He deserved much higher than a tied bronze. Biggest steal of the night.

AMANDA GOMEZ of Brazil and KUBANICH SHAMAKEEV of Kyrgyzstan are the two who I’ll remember for a long time. I’ll be seeking out their competition performances. Hope to see both of them in-person some day.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 6

p.s. I had forgotten that Amanda Gomez (or Gomes, in Portuguese) had already won the gold medal at the 2016 Varna IBC.  She’s been a prima in Kazan, Russia, for several years already…so why compete and risk a “demotion” of sorts this year? Very odd. Maybe she was asked to do it to bring focus on the international character of the event.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l8vdqIR7V3w

The Varna IBC no longer exists, last contested in 2018; 2020 was canceled due to lack of sponsors…although it was also the height of COVID. Never rescheduled. Moscow IBC reemergence this year (first since 2017), after all that’s happened, is a mini-miracle.

The competition in Jackson, Mississippi, still exists…summer 2023, I think. The one in Helsinki took place earlier this month.

All of these UNESCO-supported IBCs from the 1960s & 70s seem to have been displaced by the YAGP series, for pre-teens and teens. Prix de Lausanne also strong, also emphasizing pre-professionals/teens. More practical, I suppose; less old-style Cold War messaging. 

Edited by Jeannette

15 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Jr girls duet - Agree that Kuznetsova was the best in this category but I would’ve given her gold, not silver.

Thanks very much, Jeannette, for your very complete and interesting review. I posted this elsewhere, but there's nothing really that I would want to change:

And this is Valeria Kuznetsova's White Swan Duet. 

She's quite something !

She's from the Perm school, but she's definitely Mariinsky or Bolshoi top quality, in other words, one of the best. At only 17 years (!), I would describe her as a combination of the Bolshoi's super-graceful Alyona Kovalyova (Principal) and it's very young, super-expressive Eva Sergeyenkova (Leading Soloist). 

Not much more to be said.  

Scroll down to the last frame, "Gala Concert", and go to 1:36:40

https://moscowballetcompetition.com/en/video/

(Much thanks to Estreiiita and Jeannette at BalletcoForum)

Added:

And again I would say take note of her remarkable gracefulness here.

Aurora Dream Variation  (Junior Round 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRbEp7XdAsA

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Jeannette said:

I would also like to call attention to Valeria Kuznetsova's lovely use of her arms and hands, together creating beautiful swan-like imagery and accounting for a lot of her remarkable graceful presentation. 

Question, Jeanette (or anyone) ?

What do you think the possibilities are of Valeria Kuznetsova (Perm school) going to the Mariinsky or Bolshoi ?  Would they ask her ? Would she want to go ?  What's your honest appraisal of her being of their quality ?

I think that she's certainly Wonderfully Worthy (!) of being at these two companies, but don't let that influence your response.   🙂

Oxana Skorik, Mariinsky Principal, and often my favourite ballerina in the world, was accepted at the Mariinsky from the Perm school, so it's certainly has happened. I can't think of anyone else.

From the few full length videos that I've seen of the Perm Ballet it's very good. I don't sense any rivalry between it and the Mariinsky or Bolshoi, these two being by far the best (and largest)in Russia, but much smaller companies in Russia can have extremely good individual performances and often possess several very high level dancers.

By the way, Jeannette, the reason that's there are so many works being performed by Yuri Grigorovich is that the competition is dedicated to him and each dancer is required to do at least one of his works. In the Second Round, I believe. 

• Like 2

The Perm School has produced a number dancers who have gone  to top companies - for example, Olga Chenchikova (to the Kirov; now a coach at the Bolshoi - wife of Vaziev); Nadezdha Pavlova (to the Bolshoi); Vadim Muntagirov (to the Royal Ballet via the RBS and ENB).

The fact that Yuri Fateyev (Mariinsky) attends the Grand Audition sessions would appear to indicate his willingness to recruit from beyond the Vaganova school.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, capybara said:

The Perm School has produced a number dancers who have gone  to top companies - for example, Olga Chenchikova (to the Kirov; now a coach at the Bolshoi - wife of Vaziev); Nadezdha Pavlova (to the Bolshoi); Vadim Muntagirov (to the Royal Ballet via the RBS and ENB).

The fact that Yuri Fateyev (Mariinsky) attends the Grand Audition sessions would appear to indicate his willingness to recruit from beyond the Vaganova school.

Thanks, Capybara.

Well, let's see what happens with regard to Valeria Kuznetsova. I'm certainly going to be a fan and keep an eye on her.

What are the the "Grand Audition sessions" ?

Do you know of other current Mariinsky dancers from other schools ?  I'll admit to not following these things very closely.

Also there seems to be a oneway flow of dancers when changing companies, Mariinsky > Bolshoi. I tend to think that this is because there are so many highest level dancers at the Mariinsky, that some feel that they have a better chance at the Bolshoi. And the Bolshoi seems quite willing to accept them, much to its credit. Two Mariinsky/Vaganova turnovers, Olga Smirnova and Alyona Kovalyova, justifiably in my opinion, went right to the top at the Bolshoi.

On a very personal opinion level the Mariinsky has two high profile ballerinas. Oxana Skorik for loveliness and Yekaterina Kondaurova, who can do everything. The Bolshoi has/had three, two from the Mariinsky Vaganova, being perhaps the highest profiles of all, Olga Smirnova (formerly) (expression), Alyona Kovalyova (loveliness) and Eva Segeyenkova (expression). And let's not forget Svetlana Zakharova. I would guess that others here might rank it differently.

Edited by Buddy

24 minutes ago, Naomi M said:

Maria Shirinkina, First Soloist at Mariinsky is a graduate of the Perm School.

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet_mt_women/shirinkina/

And she's a really lovely one. Thank you. I have always hoped that she and Yekaterina Osmolkina, also a favourite for loveliness, would be heavily featured. Both have also matured greatly in expression and artistry, characteristic and recommending for older dancers. 

• Like 1

From what I’ve seen the Bolshoi hires graduates from both the Vaganova and Moscow Academies.  But does the Mariinsky hire graduates from both?  

We should distinguish between graduates hired by the Bolshoi company directly from the Vaganova School (eg. Kovaleva, Smirnova, Geraschenko, Sevenard, … many others each year), and professionals like Zakharova, Lobukhin, Obratsova, Stepanova who switched companies during their careers … for whatever reason … presumably different repertory and/or better contracts.  In the case of Lobukhin … he has excelled in Bolshoi-only ballets such as Spartacus and Ivan the Terrible.

Quite a few Mariinsky dancers were trained in schools other than the Vaganova/ARB. Beside Skorik and Shirinkina…

Timur Askerov in Baku, AZ

Kimin Kim in Korea

Danila Korsuntsev in Tashkent, UZ

Nadezhda Gonchar in Kyiv

Nikita Korneev in Hamburg Cranko School

Camilla Mazzi from Moscow

Ksenia Ostreikovskaya from Perm

Islom Baimuratov from Vienna

Surely a few from the corps de ballet.

By the way, Maria Khoreva is now principal…just saw it but I may have missed an earlier announcement.

Sorry - my mistake! Still First Soloist!

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet/soloists/

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeannette said:

Quite a few Mariinsky dancers were trained in schools other than the Vaganova/ARB. Beside Skorik and Shirinkina…

Timur Askerov in Baku, AZ

Kimin Kim in Korea

Danila Korsuntsev in Tashkent, UZ

Nadezhda Gonchar in Kyiv

Camilla Mazzi from Moscow

Ksenia Ostreikovskaya from Perm

Islom Baimuratov from Vienna

Surely a few from the corps de ballet.

Thank you very much for this list, Jeannette. Some of these names come as a surprise.

Do you have an answer to Fiona's question ?

"From what I’ve seen the Bolshoi hires graduates from both the Vaganova and Moscow Academies.  But does the Mariinsky hire graduates from both?"

As far as I know the Mariinsky doesn't. It certainly has more than enough of its own.

And what about Valeria Kuznetsova, Jeannette ?  🙂

So far I've fallen in love three times in this discussion -- Maria Iliushkina, Anastasia Plotnikova (not even a contestant) and Valeria Kuznetsova. Ah, love is fickle (said Shakespeare??, probably not). 

Thanks also, Capybara, for the information about Grand Audition. Yuri Fateyev did find Xander Parish in a Royal Ballet classroom. He also seems to attend all sorts of contemporary dance events, not perhaps the Mariinsky's strong point, in Saint Petersburg, so I do give him credit. 

Grand Audition

"Our aim is to give professional dancers and graduate students the opportunity to plan their futures and to find their home company. It provides a unique opportunity for dancers to audition for several ballet companies at one time and in one place."

https://www.grandaudition.net/2016-2021

Kevin McKenzie, Artistic Director, American Ballet Theatre, was its first year director. Other yearly directors included Yuri Fateyev (Mariinsky), Nicolas Le Riche (Royal Swedish Ballet) and Michael Messerer (Mikhailovsky Theatre). Sounds good.

Edited by Buddy

5 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Thank you very much for this list, Jeannette. Some of these names come as a surprise.

Do you have an answer to Fiona's question ?

"From what I’ve seen the Bolshoi hires graduates from both the Vaganova and Moscow Academies.  But does the Mariinsky hire graduates from both?"

….

I don’t, sorry. Not recently, that I recall.

On your Q about Kuznetsova: Her Odette at the competition gala was impressive. However, I suspect that Perm might want to keep her.

35 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

On your Q about Kuznetsova: Her Odette at the competition gala was impressive. However, I suspect that Perm might want to keep her.

Is that a polite way of saying that the Mariinsky or the Bolshoi might not be interested ? *   🙂  

It's late at night in London now as the BalletcoForum lights go out, so it's up to us to keep things going.

* If it is, I'll accept your bet and raise it five dollars. I'm her determined fan.

Edited by Buddy

9 hours ago, Jeannette said:

John Cranko School is in Stuttgart. It does seem quite unusual that a Russian dancer has been trained in John Cranko and returned to Russia.

(They do teach the Russian method there, the late Pyotr Pestov was a teacher at the Bolshoi Academy) 

• Like 1

I do certainly hope that Valeria Kuznetsova will be invited either to Mariinsky or Bolshoi, as there is a very little chance that I'll see her in Perm (without mentioning that now it's an unexisting chance for me to see anything even in Moscow or StPete, but "dum spiro, spero"). I remember wth a great nostalgia my trip to Russia in 2019 when I managed to visit all three of Bolshoi, Mariinsky and Mikhailovsky theatres. 

As to Mariinsky theater, Victoria Tereshkina is an uncrowned queen there, she's absolutely perfect in everything! And I love beautiful Ekaterina Kondaurova. Some day I would love to see younger ballerinas from Mariinsky - Maria Iljushkina, Maria Bulanova, Maria Khoreva, Maria Koshkareva - it looks like Maria is a brand name for this generation! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Estreiiita said:

I do certainly hope that Valeria Kuznetsova will be invited either to Mariinsky or Bolshoi, as there is a very little chance that I'll see her in Perm (without mentioning that now it's an unexisting chance for me to see anything even in Moscow or StPete, but "dum spiro, spero"). I remember wth a great nostalgia my trip to Russia in 2019 when I managed to visit all three of Bolshoi, Mariinsky and Mikhailovsky theatres. 

As to Mariinsky theater, Victoria Tereshkina is an uncrowned queen there, she's absolutely perfect in everything! And I love beautiful Ekaterina Kondaurova. Some day I would love to see younger ballerinas from Mariinsky - Maria Iljushkina, Maria Bulanova, Maria Khoreva, Maria Koshkareva - it looks like Maria is a brand name for this generation! 

"Some day I would love to see younger ballerinas from Mariinsky - Maria Iljushkina, Maria Bulanova, Maria Khoreva, Maria Koshkareva - it looks like Maria is a brand name for this generation!"

It does indeed, Estreiiita. 

“And Marie's the name of his latest flame”   (Elvis Presley)

https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/43776-maria-iliushkina-—-“-”zvezda-star-material-“/

But leave it to the Bolshoi....Alyona and Eva (and Valeria, hopefully)

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Buddy said:

Is that a polite way of saying that the Mariinsky or the Bolshoi might not be interested ? *   🙂  

Not really, Buddy. It’s that her diminutive size and gentle style fits in perfectly with the Perm aesthetic. Same thing happened with Maria Menshikova, who was featured in the documentary A Beautiful Tragedy, along with Oksana Skorik. I was hoping that Maria would also move out of Perm but she stayed (& became a prima there). By the way, Maria Menshikova - the magical name Maria! - stars in this film of the uber-rare full-length Soviet ballet Fadetta:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8nkhTvB3ySA

Yes, Leonid Lavrovsky used the music of Delibes’ Sylvia in his 1934/36 Fadetta…which Nikolai Boyarchikov reconstructed for Perm.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Not really, Buddy. It’s that her diminutive size and gentle style fits in perfectly with the Perm aesthetic. Same thing happened with Maria Menshikova, who was featured in the documentary A Beautiful Tragedy, along with Oksana Skorik. I was hoping that Maria would also move out of Perm but she stayed (& became a prima there). By the way, Maria Menshikova - the magical name Maria! - stars in this film of the uber-rare full-length Soviet ballet Fadetta:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8nkhTvB3ySA

Yes, Leonid Lavrovsky used the music of Delibes’ Sylvia in his 1934/36 Fadetta…which Nikolai Boyarchikov reconstructed for Perm.

Thanks, Jeannette, for the added insight.

Not questioning your statement, and I don't have time at the moment to look at the videos, but how can you tell that Valeria Kuznetsova is diminutive in size ?

As and aside, the Bolshoi's new star Eva Segeyenkova also appears diminutive alongside her partners, but she 'tears the place up', making her ten feet tall. Both her and Valeria Kuznetsova seem tall, tall, tall, to me. Eva Segeyenkova because of here remarkable projection of expression and Valeria Kuznetsova because of her endless limbs.  

Added:  'Mary' insky (if that wasn't already implied, "in honour of Empress Maria Alexandrova") 

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat related to the competition:

Many of the Junior-level medalists returned to St Petersburg to take part in the latest Vaganova ARB graduation performances, including this one on June 18, 2022:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IqbT9uz5Vtg

Numbers and casting, according to a friend who attended:

1. GIOCONDA Dance of the Hours (Tsiskaridze-aft Petipa/ Ponchielli)

Maria Koshkareva

Luca Dobosh

2. FLOWER FESTIVAL IN GENZANO (after Bournonville/Helsted & Paulli)

Polina Tsaitseva

Miroslav Arbatov

3. CLASSICAL SYMPHONY (Lavrovsky/Prokofiev)

mvt1 - Yaroslava Krupina

Glen Asadchenko

mvt 2 - Maria Koshkareva

Georgi Khrebtov

mvt 3 (not in the above film but elsewhere on YouTube, from another fan) -  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e2qMc5LURT4

Maria Sheveleva

Luca Dobosh

mvt 4 - all

4. RAYMONDA ACT III (Petipa/Glazunov)

Raymonda - Sofia Valiullina

Jean de Brienne- Ruslan Steniushkin (member of Mariinsky, ARB class of 2017)

Solo female variation - Polina Tsaitseva

Male pas de quatre - Taiga Kodama-Pomfret,  Luca Dobosh, Nikolai Didenko & Musa Sultanov

Polish leads- Maria Vetchaninova & Yevgeni Pereverzin

Hungarian leads - Anastasia Zinchenko & Georgi Klovtsov

Edited by Jeannette
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 16/06/2022 at 16:32, Jeannette said:

I don’t, sorry. Not recently, that I recall.

Valeria Kuznetsova

“Graduated from the Perm School of Dance and joined the Mariinsky Ballet in 2023”

(Mariinsky site)

Wow !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/06/2022 at 10:17, Naomi M said:

Nikita Korneev

Nikita Korneev was born in Russia, he came to Germany as a young child. Both his parents were dancers, his father Ivan Korneev was a principal with Dresden Semper Oper and later at Aalto Ballet Essen. As a young boy, he trained at his parents' school in the South of Germany, later he went to Stuttgart where he graduated in 2016. Stuttgart Ballet did not take him in, there were too many good boys and too few places, and Korneev may not be the versatile type who can also do modern ballet. But he was offered a place at Bavarian State Ballet. In the meantime, he asked if he could train with the Mariinsky at their annual visit to Baden-Baden Festspielhaus at Christmas. Yuri Fateev asked him to join the Mariinsky immediately, and Korneev did. As he was given Siegfried and many more principal roles very soon, his technique seems to be adequate for the Mariinsky 🙂

May I add that also Daniel Camargo, now principal at ABT, graduated from the Cranko School.

• Like 2

Here’s a lovely one of Valeria Kuznetsova as Giselle, several months after the competition before graduating from Perm and being accepted to the Mariinsky.

At the time of the competition I was already thinking what a wonderful addition she would be to the Mariinsky, but not thinking that it might really happen. I’d also included her as a possible continuation of a line of beautiful Mariinsky and Vaganova ballerinas, starting with Ulyana Lopatkina, and including Oksana Skorik, Alyona Kovalyova (now at Bolshoi), and Maria Iliushkina. I wish her much success.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Valeria Kuznetsova

(Please see recent posts above starting November 22 and ones starting around June 15)

An exciting recognition for her !

At the Mariinsky, Wednesday, April 3, she debuted as Phrygia in Spartacus, also featuring Renata Shakirova (Aegina) and Andrei Yermakov (Spartacus) 

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill/2024/4/3/2_1900/

(Thanks to Enya at Dansomanie)

• Like 1

Here’s a review by Catherine Pawlick at Vaganova Today mentioning Valeria Kuznetsova’s debut.

“On 03 April, Andrey Ermakov danced a noble Spartacus, infusing the role less with vim and vigor than with quiet determination and pride. Valeria Kuznetsova, an impossibly tall and long-limbed Perm Academy graduate, debuted in the role of Phrygia, Spartacus’ wife. With height that matches Ermakov’s stature well on stage, she did justice to the wrenching monologue in the final scene, a dramatic challenge for even seasoned ballerinas.”

https://www.vaganovatoday.com/spartacus-love-and-war-on-stage-april-2024/#more-1361

• Like 1