Ballet at Athelhampton House - and now in Italy

https://www.athelhampton.com/events-1/stars-of-the-royal-ballet-10th-11th-september-2022-tickets-available-in-the-summer 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbsuZVOA0JJ/

Per Instagram, funds will go to performing arts charities and helping people in Ukraine. Tickets go on sale 1st June, performances are 10th and 11th September. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Back for a third season:

https://www.athelhampton.com/ballet

Tickets now available. 

Meaghan Grace Hinkis

&

Fredstep Fundraising

RETURN TO THE BEAUTIFUL GROUNDS OF ATHELHAMPTON TO PRESENT

A WEEKEND OF EXQUISITE DANCE
FEATURING THE STARS OF THE ROYAL BALLET AND OTHER COMPANIES
& MUSICIANS OF THE ORCHESTRA OF THE ROYAL OPERA HOUSE

In aid of the performing arts in the UK and Ukraine.

FEATURING EXCERPTS FROM

The Royal Ballet’s finest repertory of classical and contemporary works

SATURDAY 10th SEPTEMBER & SUNDAY 11th SEPTEMBER

THE DANCERS OF THE ROYAL BALLET LOOK FORWARD TO WELCOMING YOU

TO  ATHELHAMPTON HOUSE

Luca Acri

Matthew Ball

Lukas Brændsrød

Meaghan Grace Hinkis

Melissa Hamilton

Ryoichi Hirano

Momoko Hirata

Daichi Ikarashi

Sarah Lamb

Mayara Magri

Laura Morera

César Morales

Marianna Tsembenhoi

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Programme being revealed …

Corsaire pd3 - Meaghan with Luca Acri and Daichi Ikarashi

Anemoi - Mariko Sasaki & ?
White Swan - Mariko Sasaki & ?

Diamonds - Sarah Lamb & Ryo Hirano

After The Rain - Sarah Lamb and David Donnelly
The Dream - Momoko Hirata & Cesar Morales

Our Waltzes - Momoko Hirata & Cesar Morales

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

How remiss of me … no review!   I went on Saturday 10th.  Pretty much everything was fabulous.  The staging improves each year.  One quibble now would be to have lighting from further in front as the dancers’ faces were in darkness when they were in the front part of the stage.  

The view isn’t perfect from the seating as the stage is still not high enough to see over heads in front (unless you are in the front few rows … beyond my budget).  I can recommend the view if standing at the back or in the last row of seats 😉

Its a very generous full programme … most dancers perform twice … the evening lasted 3 hours,  including a 45 minute fundraising auction in the interval on Saturday (raffle on Sunday).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Programme

ACT 1

Overture - Largo from Bach violin sonata #3 - Sergey Levitin 

First part of Three Preludes by Stevenson - Melissa Hamilton & Lukas B Brændsrød

Patineurs Blue Boy - Daichi Ikarashi

(Re)Current by Matthew Ball  (Sibelius) - Matthew & Mayara Magri

Ashton’s Dream pdd - Momoko Hirata & Cesar Morales

Wheeldon Golden Hour pdd - Meaghan Grace Hinkis & Luca Acri 

White Swan - Mariko Sasaki & David Donnelly

Les Bourgeois solo - Joe Sissens

Scarlett’s Jubilee pdd - Laura Morera & Ryo Hirano

ACT 2

Homage to Ukraine - Melody by Myroslav Skoryk - Sergey Levitin & Michael Pansters

Balanchine’s Diamonds pdd - Sarah Lamb & Ray Hirano

Ashton’s Tango from Façade - Laura Morera & Ricardo Cervera

Nebrada’s Our Waltzes pdd - Momoko Hirata & Cesar Morales

Zucchetti’s Anemoi pdd - Mariko Sasaki & Lukas BB

McGregor’s Infra pdd - Melissa Hamilton & Joe Sissens

MacMillan’s Carousel pdd - Matthew Ball & Mayara Magri

Macmillan’s Requiem - Laura Morera

Wheeldon’s After the Rain pdd - Sarah Lamb & David Donnelly 

Le Corsaire pd3 - Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Luca Acri & Daichi Ikarashi

It was all good.  A few of my highlights … Mariko’s sensitivity in White Swan, the fun of Tango and seeing Ricardo dance again, delightful Mayara in Carousel with Matty being suave, Lukas and David bringing sensitive atmosphere to their reliable partnering, joyfulness of Momoko and Cesar in Our Waltzes in glorious bright costumes, Meghan’s astonishingly good pirouettes and fouettés in Corsaire (poised, controlled and difficult), Daichi being fabulous in Corsaire. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was there too on Saturday. The auction ended up being tedious, my companion and I decided we would book for Sunday next year.

Some extra observations. There was a minute's silence in memory of Queen Elizabeth. Total silence except for the birds which was quite magical. Then we had the national anthem, God Save the King! Some people sang, others didn't (possibly too emotional) so it was a gentle affirmation of the change of Monarch.

It was lovely having live violin and piano for many dances and recordings for others. I agree, stage needs to be higher. It was a brilliant gala - I hadn't seen Mariko Sasaki dance before and adored her. Les Bourgeois is one of my favourite male solos and Joe Sissons was great, both technically and in interpretation My main criticism of the programming would be that as so many pieces were adage pas de deux it got a bit samey! It was good they kept the pas de trois for Corsaire rather than the usual turning it into a pas de deux for galas. But what about things like Swan Lake 1st Act pas de trois? Or Romeo, Mercutio and Benvolio in their pas de trois?

In Le Corsaire Megan Grace Hinkis was fantastic - she did a series of fast posé turns to the right, but later turned to the left with a truly amazing series of fouettés, lots of doubles and triples, (were there even more turns) thrown into the mix!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, WAW said:

Did the email come from Athelhampton? 

I've booked for the last two performances, but I haven't heard anything about this year.  Such a shame, as I've really enjoyed it.

There was an announcement … no performance this year 2023.  There will be a video produced … compilation of performances from the prior years.  

• Like 1

Not managed to afford to do make it to Athelhampton or indeed any of the other fabulous sounding outdoor summer dance events.… am always intrigued how these seem to come about - usually through one persons championing…is MGH linked in sone way to the house owners? 
Congrats to her on her engagement;- lovely NYC photos sharing the news 🥰

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It must be lovely having a Gala in Italy. This programme looks almost identical to last year's at Athelhampton with a few additions. So probably easy to revive after the Japan tour. I loved Les Lutins and it made me think that Ashton's pas de trois Tweedledum and Tweedledee with Alice would be a perfect piece for them!

There seem to me many ballet galas in Italy during this summer …

- Bolle & Friends

- Jacopo Tissi’s programme with Cojocaru, Semionova, and others 

- YAGP in Nervi with Osipova and others 

- something in L’Aquila with Zucchetti, Ball, Magri this week 

I think I need to relocate to Italy in a camper wagon next summer! 

Edited by FionaE
Typo
  • Like 3

• alison changed the title to Ballet at Athelhampton House - and now in Italy