How would you put together an RB season?

There's been quite a bit of talk about what some of us would like to see from an RB season, so I thought I'd have a go at coming up with a framework for one. I seem to recall an interview where Kevin O'Hare said that "twelve is the magic number" (remember those days?), so if I take that as my starting point, here's what I come up with - note I've tried to mix things I'd like to see with things that realistically need to happen:

1. Nutcracker (I don't love it, but I think we need to assume it'll be on most Christmases)
  2. A full-length MacMillan (I can live without one every year but again, we should assume most seasons will contain one)
  3. A full-length Ashton (if only!)
  4. A Petipa classic (essential for technique and box office)
  5. Another 19th century classic (could be a second Petipa, could be Giselle, could be Coppelia, etc...)
  6. A 21st century full-length (either new or from the Wheeldon/McGregor catalogue)
  7. An Ashton mixed bill
  8. An RB "heritage" mixed bill (anything from the Diaghilev rep to MacMillan)
  9. A mixed bill drawn from e.g. Balanchine, Robbins, Bintley, Forsythe
  10. A 21st century mixed bill
  11. Another 21st century evening (full length or mixed)
  12. Wild card (e.g. Balanchine, Onegin, a themed mixed bill)

What would others come up with? What have I missed?

(Of course, what I'd really like is Giselle in every season and at least four Ashton programmes but I'm trying to be reasonable!)

• Like 14

I'm all for Giselle every season, I'd be there. Another one I'd stick down every season is Symphonic Variations (I haven't seen it live, but if it's that magical on tape I can't imagine how magical it must be in real life). They're the two I'd race to the theatre to see if they were announced. 

I don't know how much her works hold up (because nobody seems to program them), but de Valois deserves more than just the 'Founder' title. I'm sure there must be at least one of her works they can do, or at least a part of one of them (like they do with the Winter Dreams pas de deux). 

My realistic season would be very similar to Lizbie's. My fantastical season would be all my personal 'Why are the lights coming up? I want to see it all again!' ballets. But I am very very glad that the Ashton bill has received such praise, and seems to have been attended by an audience of a diverse age range. I'm really hoping this means another one will be programmed for 23/24. 

• Like 5

That sounds a wonderful season Lizbie but I could quite happily live without the RB Nutcracker.  Now if they brought the BRB production in that would be a different matter.

Of the de Valois works I have seen Checkmate (for me) has really stood the test of time and I would be happy to see Job again.

Of the Ashton works maybe they could do programmes of works that were created in smaller theatres in the Linbury as well as whatever they do in the main house.

I would love to see an all-Bintley mixed programme…

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MaddieRose said:

Another one I'd stick down every season is Symphonic Variations (I haven't seen it live, but if it's that magical on tape I can't imagine how magical it must be in real life).

It pretty much puts me in a trance.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, alison said:

Ah.  I always get Galanteries and Consort Lessons mixed up.  I wonder which one I meant?

Galantries is dressed in grey (and very attractive costumes they are too).  I've got a feeling Consort Lessons was creamy/pinky.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaddieRose said:

I'm all for Giselle every season, I'd be there. Another one I'd stick down every season is Symphonic Variations (I haven't seen it live, but if it's that magical on tape I can't imagine how magical it must be in real life). They're the two I'd race to the theatre to see if they were announced. 

I don't know how much her works hold up (because nobody seems to program them), but de Valois deserves more than just the 'Founder' title. I'm sure there must be at least one of her works they can do, or at least a part of one of them (like they do with the Winter Dreams pas de deux). 

My realistic season would be very similar to Lizbie's. My fantastical season would be all my personal 'Why are the lights coming up? I want to see it all again!' ballets. But I am very very glad that the Ashton bill has received such praise, and seems to have been attended by an audience of a diverse age range. I'm really hoping this means another one will be programmed for 23/24. 

I like De Valois’s Checkmate and The Rake’s Progress, and won’t mind seeing Job just once at least. 

• Like 1

@Lizbie1 think your list is pretty much perfect and does a good job at balancing new vs heritage vs classical works.

I would also add that it would be good to have (more) regular gala evenings with little divertissements and or even guest ballet dancers (controversial I know as we have such good dancers at RB now but not everyone can travel to see other dancers/companies). One a year doesn’t seem like much in the grand scheme of things (potentially with 3-5 performances, maybe around Christmas to give the ones a bit sick of Nutcracker something else!)

I also think there is scope for more new works to be done in the Linbury first as an experimental testing ground - with the best works returning to the main stage. That’s not to say the main stage shouldn’t showcase new work, for example the Dante Project is definitely a main stage work!

But more regular one off pieces done at a smaller scale in the Linbury as a testing ground rather than only a few works a year could be interesting. 

And more touring companies from overseas - obviously with the current situation we’re not getting the Bolshoi and Mariinsky but this a great opportunity as it felt like they had just alternated for the past few years? I know it’s not so far but what about Paris Opera, Danish Ballet, NYC ballet, ABT, or even others further away, and an opportunity for collaboration with RB dancers as well? Would be good opportunities to see works not in RB or ENB/BRB rep (eg Paquita, Napoli etc). 

only very minor wishes as I’d be very happy with the 12 programme as set out by Lizbie! My ideas probably a little too out there and not feasible for many reasons but if we’re going all out…

• Like 7