ballet training in contemporary schools

lay_enpointe

hi ! I've never posted here so let me know if I've done anything wrong !! 

I'm just curious to know about the level of ballet training, especially pointe in contemporary schools in the uk, in particular trinity laban and nscd. rambert is my dream school due to the balance between ballet and contemporary, but I don't want to set my heart on it as it is very hard to get into, but i also don't want my ballet to suffer if i go to one of the others. any help would be hugely appreciated!!

• Like 1

Hi, didn't want to read and run. Others may have more experience to comment, but from my DC's experience of Trinity Laban, pointe shoes have not been seen at all during the 3 years spent on the CAT scheme. DC has worked alongside the MA and BA students who help out on Saturdays who say they have equal spent time on ballet, contemporary and creative classes but no emphasis on pointe work.

On 21/02/2022 at 17:52, lay_enpointe said:

hi ! I've never posted here so let me know if I've done anything wrong !! 

I'm just curious to know about the level of ballet training, especially pointe in contemporary schools in the uk, in particular trinity laban and nscd. rambert is my dream school due to the balance between ballet and contemporary, but I don't want to set my heart on it as it is very hard to get into, but i also don't want my ballet to suffer if i go to one of the others. any help would be hugely appreciated!!

I would think the ‘philosophy’ of contemporary dance courses such as Laban and others may well be ballet as a core but no pointe work. Remember the roots of Rambert school is classical ballet which is why there is still pointe work. Interesting to see how that develops. You may consider Central or London Studio Centre if you want pointe work and contemporary.  

Edited by Drdee
  • Like 4

Thank you for that, it is very interesting. I considered those two schools but I didn't think central was for me and couldn't afford the fees for LSC, so I went with NSCD, Trinity and Rambert as my top choices. While i was at the Trinity audition I did notice posters for pointe classes at an extra cost, I was just curious to see if they were just an add on to any pointe classes as part of the ballet side of the course, or if they would be the only access to pointe. There was no individual interview for NSCD so I didn't get the opportunity to ask, but in Trinity when I asked, the person I was talking to said he didn't know, which is why I have asked here! Thank you for your response once again. 

• Like 1

If you live near London then many students use their maintenance loans to pay the fee difference for LSC. Pointe is not mandatory on their contemporary pathway but you can take pointe as an option. You have ballet everyday irrespective of pathway.

Pointe is mandatory on the classical pathway and you have at least 3 contemporary classes a week and can choose additional as an option.

You could also consider RCS.

• Like 2

Thank you for replying mummy twinkle toes, I live in wales so that wouldn't be a possible option for me, which is a shame because I really liked the sound of the programme. I did also consider RCS, but I didn't particularly want to go to Scotland, I preferred London and Leeds as I had family there (not family I could live with, but it gives my mum piece of mind!)

Thank you kanangra, may I ask is it offered at an extra cost and if so how much? also to what level the ballet is - is it more to aid contemporary as opposed to it being practiced as its own element? Thank you so much for your help by replying!

• Like 1

I believe they have ballet every day. It is a contemporary school so I suppose more to support and develop their technique. There are students there who have not got a strong ballet background, but have been admitted on the basis of the quality of their contemporary movement. I am not sure about the extra cost, I think so but will ask my daughter. I don't think it is always offered, and she was keeping up her pointe work (somewhat) at home.

18 hours ago, lay_enpointe said:

Thank you for replying mummy twinkle toes, I live in wales so that wouldn't be a possible option for me, which is a shame because I really liked the sound of the programme. I did also consider RCS, but I didn't particularly want to go to Scotland, I preferred London and Leeds as I had family there (not family I could live with, but it gives my mum piece of mind!)

Thank you kanangra, may I ask is it offered at an extra cost and if so how much? also to what level the ballet is - is it more to aid contemporary as opposed to it being practiced as its own element? Thank you so much for your help by replying!

Hi, we also live in Wales and the maintenance loan is very good. You also get a little extra as it is a longer term than normal Uni. We found LSC doable because of this and the fact that Chester House is very reasonable and includes meals. Dd has a railcard and oyster so that also helps when travelling.

Don’t discount Central, lay_enpointe; I’m not sure why you thought it wasn’t for you but during my daughter’s 5 years as a Central Prep/Pre-Senior, both the ballet and contemporary training were excellent. 

• Like 3

thank you for your reply anna, it does look an incredible school ! i was just put off by how none of the short courses were open to anyone over the age of 16, which confused me as the offer a degree course. its ok though, im extremely happy with the three schools i have chosen and with how expensive the audition process is, i think my mum is happy im not dragging her down to london again !

• Like 2

On 04/03/2022 at 22:25, lay_enpointe said:

thank you for your reply anna, it does look an incredible school ! i was just put off by how none of the short courses were open to anyone over the age of 16, which confused me as the offer a degree course. its ok though, im extremely happy with the three schools i have chosen and with how expensive the audition process is, i think my mum is happy im not dragging her down to london again !

The short courses at Central are predominantly for under 16’s as most that audition for the Degree Course are in Year 11, therefore they start the Degree aged 16. I have known older students go to their Summer Course, always worth asking schools rather than assuming!

• Like 1