Northern Ballet CAT audition

DanceMamma

Anyone out there with experience of auditioning for CAT but older/going into year 8? 

DD has had a real mix of yeses and nos for auditions over the last year and we’re not feeling confident about this audition at all. So, wondered if anyone had any experience to share. I’m guessing they only take a small number when they’re older? Do they need to slot in at a particular level or would they still judge potential at this stage and offer a lower level? It’s all quite confusing! I don’t think she’ll be at the standard of her age group already in CAT but I also have no idea where she should be, or if it matters? 

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have experience of the CAT - but good luck to your DD and also to others who are auditioning.

Is your dd auditioning for associates as well as CAT?  I know when my dd did Northern Ballet associates there was quite a range abilities, and they tended to place them in the right class for their ability rather than just being based on age.  That was some time ago now though so things may have changed.

Oops! Half my post is missing?

apologies @glowlight

That’s good to know. I wasn’t sure if they needed to be at the level of the same age group which might be quite difficult when joining a group who’ve been in CAT since Y6. DD is current Y7. 

She’s already in 2 associate programmes so we thought just CAT for this audition. Perhaps a mistake? 

1 hour ago, DanceMamma said:

Perhaps a mistake? 

No I wouldn't say it's a mistake.  If you are happy with the associate programmes she is in, and wouldn't want to change or add another one then that makes perfect sense.  The CAT is a completely different type of programme, and you won't know unless she tries.  She obviously has something if she is already doing two associate programmes, so encourage her to approach the audition with confidence and to enjoy the audition.  I used to tell my dd...if it's the right thing for you it will happen.  If it doesn't happen it wasn't the right thing for you right now.

My DD did yr 6 on the CAT before going to Elmhurst. If she does get a place, just be aware of the amount of time spent in Leeds, and that she may need to drop the other associates classes. They do expect the CAT lessons to be more important as it is vocational training. 2 nights a week and Saturday in yr 6.

7 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

My DD did yr 6 on the CAT before going to Elmhurst. If she does get a place, just be aware of the amount of time spent in Leeds, and that she may need to drop the other associates classes. They do expect the CAT lessons to be more important as it is vocational training. 2 nights a week and Saturday in yr 6.

She’ll definitely drop the associates if she got a place. We chose CAT because it feels easier logistically than our current run of classes and associates. The scheme looks brilliant! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

My daughter was in the same group. She really enjoyed it. It sounded completely different from the audition her friend was in first thing in the morning (both CAT)! 

Oh did it?... you would have thought that they would have all been similar classes wouldn’t you?

11 hours ago, SJBallet said:

My daughter was in the same group. She really enjoyed it. It sounded completely different from the audition her friend was in first thing in the morning (both CAT)! 

In what ways we’re they different? I wonder if it’s because they’re different age groups so maybe wanting different levels? 

2 hours ago, DanceMamma said:

In what ways we’re they different? I wonder if it’s because they’re different age groups so maybe wanting different levels? 

My understanding was that the earlier group which was an older age group (11-12 years) didn’t do any flexibility assessment or pirouettes and did a lot of pliés. DDs group 10/11 years did pirouette prep, flexibility and corner work 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️  DD is applying for year 7 CAT so will have been an older one in the 12.15 group. She wasn’t in with her friend as they were also applying for associates whereas DD was just applying for CAT. 

5 hours ago, SJBallet said:

My understanding was that the earlier group which was an older age group (11-12 years) didn’t do any flexibility assessment or pirouettes and did a lot of pliés. DDs group 10/11 years did pirouette prep, flexibility and corner work 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️  DD is applying for year 7 CAT so will have been an older one in the 12.15 group. She wasn’t in with her friend as they were also applying for associates whereas DD was just applying for CAT. 

DD said they did flexibility in the morning group, but just hamstrings, frog and straddle I think? She’s not giving much away though. 😂

18 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

What group was that? 

11-12yr old. Went in at 8.45, audition 9-10.15. Maybe there were more groups? 

She only auditioned for CAT though so maybe different group to the ones who didn’t look at flexibility?

Edited by DanceMamma

2 hours ago, DanceMamma said:

It’s a no for us. Sad DD but time to reflect on all the yeses and nos she’s had and whether to try again or call it a day. 

Hope your daughter is ok. Definitely try again. 🤞

• Like 1