News - Birmingham Royal Ballet announces 3 long standing dancers to become assistant répétiteurs and principal character artists

18 minutes ago, capybara said:

This is a very interesting initiative but Laura Day, who will doubtless be great at her repetiteur role, almost seems to ‘young’ to become a character artist just yet.

I'd always hoped to see her as Juliet but perhaps it's what she wants.  She's always been a terrific actor.

16 minutes ago, capybara said:

This is a very interesting initiative but Laura Day, who will doubtless be great at her repetiteur role, almost seems to ‘young’ to become a character artist just yet.

I do agree, she has such a lovely quality to her dancing that it would be great if she can continue as a dancer as well as taking character roles. But she is so multi-talented that she will be a good repeititeur too.

• Like 2

When I lived in Birmingham I attended Jonathan Payn's Advanced ballet class at DanceXchange. He is a wonderful teacher - really non-judgemental and detailed in his corrections & feedback. We always thought he's left dancing the premier danseur roles far too early; his jumps are gorgeous and he has that lovely ease & softness that comes with Cecchetti training. But his acting in roles in Nutcracker and Hobson's Choice and so on is always great. Good to see that his skills & artistic leadership are being recognised. And he's just a really nice man. He was always so kind and encouraging to this ageing amateur dance student!

• Like 5

I'm also very pleased for Rory MacKay. I have loved him as a character since I interviewed him in Sunderland, quite soon after he joined the company. He spoke very freely; too freely from a PR point of view, of his attitude, then, to his career, even using a swear word at a time when swearing in public was less common, but no-one in the audience minded as he came across as such a great bloke! (He did apologise as soon as he realised what he had inadvertently done). Since then he has matured as a performer and always has a different 'take' on every role he performs so that I am always pleased when I see his name on the cast list, he's never bland.

• Like 5

• 11 months later...