"In Balanchine's Classroom"

I had the privilege of being granted access to a prescreening of In Balanchine's Classroom, a documentary by former ballet dancer Connie Hochman. I think that any ballet aficionado will appreciate it whether it's for the intimate and some never been seen before footage, the interviews with some of his dancers, or the insight into Balanchine's ways. Here's a link to my thoughts supplemented by Hochman's answers to some of my questions.

• Like 1

Apparently the filmmakers have begun work on a complete archive collection of ALL the dance footage and interviews so that one day it will be accessible to viewers.

Visit the film website:

inbalanchinesclassroom.com

and scroll through to learn more about the IBC Digital Archive work-in-progress

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Yesterday afternoon we went to a screening in the Curzon Bloomsbury of this new documentary directed by Connie Hochman.

It's full of old footage of Balanchine teaching class, excerpts of performances, extensive interviews with Balanchine dancers like Merrill Ashley, Jacques D'Amboise, Edward Villella, Heather Watts and others. It also featured contemporary rehearsal footage of dancers from NYCB, Miami City ballet, and ABT.  

There was a tantalisingly brief clip of what looked like the curtain call from the premiere of Diamonds, what an iconic moment ! What a genius Balanchine was. 

It was a really well constructed and fascinating documentary; as well as all the footage it covered Balanchine's progression from Russia to Diaghilev to the eventual founding of NYCB and Balanchine and Stravinsky. I assume it will be released on DVD and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves Balanchine ballets or just ballet. 

Following the screening was a Q & A hosted by Alastair Macaulay with Matthew Ball and Marcelino Sambe.  The dancers spoke thoughtfully and intelligently in response to Alastair Macaulay's insightful questions. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 16/06/2022 at 05:41, alison said:

Just to clarify that the documentary is also available to stream, here: In Balanchine's Classroom - Home (inbalanchinesclassroom.com)

Also available to purchase on DVD, such as (US Amazon):

https://www.amazon.com/Balanchines-Classroom-George-Balanchine/dp/B09FC9J3L7/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=1HLSMMBXCZ3M1&keywords=Balanchine’s+Classroom+dvd&qid=1655487923&sprefix=balanchine+s+classroom+dvd%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-1

…for we who still love to see our treasures on shelves…touch and coddle them every now & then.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Thanks 1

With reference to Balanchine's classroom - there is an excellent series on Disney + called On Pointe - a season at the School of American Ballet.  It explores the lives of the younger students, whilst they audition, rehearse abd perform in Nutcracker with New York City Ballet and the stories of the older students desperately trying to get accepted as apprentices with the company.  I for one am glued to it and binge watching!  Highly recommended!

• Like 1

Went to see Balanchine's Classroom in Bloomsbury - and was the only person in the cinema for the showing.  Hugely enjoyed it - but then I lived through - and saw - much of what was shown here first hand.  Not sure how ultimately impactful this would now be for someone without that context.  This period really WAS when I came to 'see the music; hear the dance'.  It was a very special time in my life and one that I shall always cherish.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1