Help needed with shoes for wide foot

Sheila Beelam

I thought I'd pose this problem in the hope someone can help :)

I've been trying to fit a teen with soft split sole canvas or leather shoes. She's a size 5 but has a very,very wide foot!

We've tried the widest fittings in Bloch, So Danca, Capezio and Sansha, but they are all too narrow across her foot - across from where the little toe is. She has an exam in a week's time, so really wants to feel her best.

Any recommendations?

Have you tried going up a size all round to get the width fit in a canvas shoe, then washing them (which shrinks them) and putting them on damp although not the most pleasant experience) will then encourage the shoe to fit to the foot in the right places.

• Like 1

I was surprised at Sansha too, that was my ace card!

Not tried washing them - but we did go up a size, and they were still too narrow...maybe try two sizes and boil them!

Actually I might try the Men's shoes as they seem to be wider, then possibly dye a white pair!

• Like 1

How about Grishko split sole canvas from Dancia in Covent Garden? Have just changed my wide-footed child to these and they are very elasticated which seems to give the foot a nice shape overall. Apparantly they are extremely comfortable to wear too so we will be back for future pairs, most definitely (not a cheap option though).

• Like 1

It's a tough question when you have wide feet, especially if you're trying local dancewear shops. My last few pairs have been Bloch canvas split soles. Not sure I'd actually realised they were technically men's ones until recently!

• Like 2

Unfortunately the girl's exam is on Wednesday, so it doesn't give me much time, but we've found a wide pair that fit, but they're too long, so going to try the washing trick!

Will order in some Grishkos though as we've not tried those before and it appears you can never have enough choice in shoes! If only all feet were the same :D

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciated!

• Like 2

Hello!

I'm new to the forum, I've been following all of the very informative threads for years - while the forum was still part of ballet.co.uk - and I've finally summoned up the courage to post. :)

I just wanted to chime in as I have a very wide foot - XXXXX in Grishko 2007s and I have found that going up half a size compared to my street shoe size in Freed men's leather ballet shoes, which seem to be wider, has helped. The leather stretches out over time - I normally wear the shoes at home first covered in socks to allow the heat of my feet to stretch out the leather - and the shoes tend to last for quite a while, I've just replaced my original pair after two years!