Advice needed re filming RAD exam

MCOS

Hello

Does anybody have experience of submitting filmed exam to RAD?

We are not in UK, so this is only option currently.

My DD is only dancer from studio who plans to film and submit her exam.

Has anybody been through this process?  Any tips??

(She is doing Adv1)

Not to RAD but I have filmed A LOT of exams this year - use a tripod, book longer than you think you will need in the studio, set clear boundaries for the dancer for where they will no longer be seen and try to avoid moving the camera about too much, make sure you can clearly see the dancers expression/face.

• Like 1

I invested in a Gopro 8 camera which has a very wide field of vision so I can put it on a tripod and leave it.  

Make sure that the exam includes everything, I inadvertently left out an exercise in Grade 6 so ended up having to tag it to the exam entry separately. I now make sure that I have a list and my pianist also knows to speak out if things are missed. 

From the candidate point of view really perform as this element can get lost on film. 

Good luck 

Thanks hfbrew

I never realized the quality of a gopro would be good enough!  Having something that we can setup and leave alone for duration of exam would be great.  Did you reposition it between barre and center work?  Or just leave it in initial setup for entire exam?

I think I will also invest in one.  It will also come in handy for filming auditions, etc.

I used a camera on a tripod. Did some test filming beforehand and marked out areas of the studio that were out of shot. Due to the shape and layout of the studio, repositioned camera between barre and centre while keeping it running.

Performance quality and expression are most definitely harder to capture on film due their nuances and subtlety at times.

I write a 'script' for each exam to ensure that everything is included. The RAD guidance on how to conduct filmed exams is very thorough.

RAD Teachers have been given a big document of hints and tips regarding how to do this so make sure that you have asked your teacher for all the details. The teacher (or another teacher) should also conduct the exam so that it is as close to the real thing as possible. Parents shouldn't be in the studio.

14 hours ago, MCOS said:

Thanks hfbrew

I never realized the quality of a gopro would be good enough!  Having something that we can setup and leave alone for duration of exam would be great.  Did you reposition it between barre and center work?  Or just leave it in initial setup for entire exam?

I think I will also invest in one.  It will also come in handy for filming auditions, etc.

It depends on the exam. For a single candidate I could leave the camera alone but for a set of four, then yes the camera had to be repositioned between Barre and centre 

Thanks everyone

We will supply camera and tripod. Teacher will do the rest.  

A dry run is planned and teacher will test camera then.  

We remembered that DD has a good camera (forgotten about as iPhone is camera of choice these days 😊).  

I have the 256gb iPhone and managed to film a non stop day of exams 9am-8pm with no storage issues. The final 3 exams of the day were an hour, 75 minutes and 90 minutes. I did have to plug in to a charger and drink a ridiculous amount of coffee to keep going! 

• Like 1