Quick question to knowledgeable people on grade curriculum (ISTD)

Suffolkstar78

41 minutes ago, Agar88 said:

Hi all, I'm new here but hoping you dont mind me jumping straight in with a question.

I wonder, can anyone tell me what grade you would start taking on pose' turns. 

Hello Agar88 and welcome to the Forum!

Hiya Canary, Thank you for reply. No not pointe. Essentially they were added into a routine outside of lessons but she cant execute it. It was picked up at a festival and just wanted some advice on if she would have been taught these in lesson. Shes recently turned 8 and taking grade 2 exam in coming months. I worry the expectations are too high and its affecting her self esteem because she feels shes failed. 

Oh bless her, receiving a correction should be a positive thing so she can work on that area. A good teacher will explain spotting,  pulling up and so much more and she will still be working on this for years to come. You know your child, if festivals put her in a pickle then leave them for now. A good summer school in the next couple of years will probably have her turning with more confidence. 

• Like 1

Thank you all so much. It's been  some time since I danced and the years have made it hazy! I just needed a little extra knowledge before I raised. You've been so helpful. She loves the festivals so much so dont want this putting her off. Totally following her lead but will step in if needed 🤣🙈 Thank you all again for sharing your wealth of knowledge. No doubt I'll be back but so glad I found the forum even for general reading. 

• Like 5

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Quick question to knowledgeable people on grade curriculum (ISTD)

Hi!

Speaking as a teacher, the choreography for festivals is often WAY more advanced than a students current grade. This is a trend that has become worse in recent years, as the focus on 'skills' becomes greater than ever before. Where once a ballet solo at age 8 would be steps like spring points, galops/polkas, pretty arms and maybe an attempt at an arabesque if the child was able, now it's becoming harder and harder and it's not uncommon to see multiple pirouettes, pose turns, arabesques, developpes and split grand jetes. From a teachers perspective, it is very hard to compete against other dancers who are doing more advanced moves so there's a certain pressure to put them into dances. But there's a fine line and I personally believe that this trend for more advanced movements in young children is at best, unnecessary, and at worst, potentially harmful especially if performed or taught without care and the appropriate strength and technique. But with festivals there's always that pressure to keep up with the trends and remain competitive. 

• Like 4