The Royal Ballet School & gender ideology

DD Driver

Across it's Social Media platforms The Royal Ballet School is displaying student art that celebrates: non gender binary, outside binary, partial genders, lack of gender...

Ballet students across the world are seeing this.  There is a very large number of vulnerable LGB youth amongst this demographic.  Where is the messaging that they are perfect as they are?

This kind of messaging seems wholly inappropriate to me!   

Why one viewpoint on gender ideology & not, for example, that of  @LGBAlliance & @LGBFightBack ?

• Like 1

and also celebrates 'transitioning' in the pink/blue/white square.

I am aware that this kind of medical intervention for adolescents is now in question at the UK Court of Appeal (Tavistock & Portman NHS Foundation Trust v. Keira Ball ).  So surely it is not the role of RBS to promote a position.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kanangra said:

Isn't it just a gesture of inclusivity?

It is not inclusive if it alienates some women and LGB people.

- Gender critical people: The recent landmark Maya Forstater case means that people, in the workplace, can not be discriminated against for 'gender critical' beliefs i.e. believing that there are only 2 sexes and women are adult human females.

- Some LGB people: People supporting the LGB Alliance & LGB Fight Back, believe that current gender ideologies are a threat to people whose sexual orientation is same or both sex.  That these ideologies are confusing and dangerous to children.

Certainly, you may not agree with these views but the one celebrated by RBS here are not 'inclusive' of people in the 2 groups above.

Edited by DD Driver
  • Like 1

I don't feel I know enough about it to agree or disagree, I am guessing the RBS doesn't either and are just being generally supportive of LGBI+ people during Pride Month.

Edited by Kanangra
punctuation
  • Like 5

Yes. That may definitely be the case.  I think they will be educated very quickly!

RBS needs to be across the relevant Laws and seeking Advice from the full range of different interest groups. 

e.g. Many LGB people do not associate themselves with LGBT+ as they are same-sex attracted not same-gender identity attracted.

The artwork just explains the different aspects of the various LGBT+ flags. It doesn’t promote or discourage, it’s just a completely neutral presentation of the flags. RBS are acknowledging and celebrating the diverse community that forms their past, present and future. Your comments seem to imply that they are promoting a gender ideology, which is simply not the case.

• Like 15

Aren't RBS (admirably) just celebrating diversity and inclusivity? 

I am VERY skeptical of the aims and motives of LGBAlliance & LGBFightBack but guess that discussion isn't really for these boards...

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

The artwork just explains the different aspects of the various LGBT+ flags. It doesn’t promote or discourage, it’s just a completely neutral presentation of the flags. RBS are acknowledging and celebrating the diverse community that forms their past, present and future. Your comments seem to imply that they are promoting a gender ideology, which is simply not the case.

I agree.  It seems to me to be promoting inclusivity, not “Gender ideology”.  As for arguing that “Gender Critical” people should be represented, from what I’ve seen on Social Media, “Gender Critical” all too often equals Transphobic, so I can quite understand why RBS might not think it appropriate to include GC people in its Pride Month artwork.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, BellaF said:

Aren't RBS (admirably) just celebrating diversity and inclusivity? 

I am VERY skeptical of the aims and motives of LGBAlliance & LGBFightBack but guess that discussion isn't really for these boards...

It certainly is not  

the   defintive advice is that given  by the EHRC  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oliviaT said:

I don’t understand this if I’m being honest. 

could you explain more what the concern is? Who is it alienating? (Genuine question to help with understanding). 

when  the term 'gender  ideology' is used   - it is almost   unversially used by those who want to   attack  the LGBTQ+  community as a whole  

the current   attempt to wedge  this issue  is the concerted and baseless attacks against  trans people   by attempting to  use the same  tactics that spawned S 28   in the 1980s  

i see the Bell vs tavistock case  has bene menioned,  all ready partly overturned  , currently  awaiting the judgement on the full appeal  - but notable that  the bell's lawyers is a   is anti abortion activistis  associated with the US  'christian' extermist  right wing  grouops  that attack  the bodily autonomy of all women  and  attack all LGBTQ+ people 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

this the nature of the hate  groups groups who are promoting the patriarchy  and spreading misinfomarion while misrepresenting the vast  majority of the LGB  parts of the LGBT+ community.

Ann Sinnott - a cisgender heterosexual woman  and one of the founders and (until defeat in the courts  of the 'Authentic Equality Alliance' a trustee  ) of the LGB Alliance   was told that   her attempts to get the EHRC  guidance on Gender reassignment  rescinded was 'absurd' , 'wrong in law' and  that there was no  evidence of harm or detriment  to women of any age  or  young people  ( or any  sex or sexuality) of the  current law with regard to  Equality act Protected Characteristic of  Gender Reassignment 

• Like 1

• Anna C locked this topic