British Ballet Charity Gala, Royal Albert Hall, 3 June 2021

For the record, some scene-setting - starting with the fact that our seats were allocated on booking.  I've no recollection of being presented with a seating plan from which to choose.  When the tickets arrived (QR format) we were bidden to arrive by 1845 for a 1930 start.  At the door, I did my first QR camera shot with the NHS App for Track & Trace purposes, took a dab of hand sanitiser and in we went.  The Covid-safe precautions were ever more evident on getting into the Hall.  A copy of the programme (A3 size on light card, see above) was slotted into the back of our seats and those similarly allocated.  As far as I could tell, only the Stalls and some boxes were in use and spacing was very adequate.  Masks were required all evening.  The stage was, I'd say, where concert orchestras would normally be, with a simple backcloth.  The Royal Ballet Sinfonia was arrayed, well-spaced, across about three-quarters of the Promming area, with a BalletBoyz film crew behind them.  

When the lights dimmed, two film screens showed a bit of film in which Dame Darcey and Ore Oduba could be seen arriving outside the Hall, displaying evident delight at what was in store, and that led to another film clip in which both welcomed us all and introduced the first half.  All of that, I assume, would have been recorded some days previously.  Paul Murphy, the conductor, entered to great applause, gave a downbeat and the show began .......

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

I've just watched the stream. A mixed viewing experience from my perspective, but I did love the Roya Ballet's contribution which was choreographed by Valentino Zucchetti.  

Agree and, of course, this week, we have the extended version of that piece (Anemoi) to enjoy as part of the RB's next programme.

• Like 1

I loved Sama by Rambert too - super music and choreo.  

Also the dancers from Northern Ballet performing the duet from 1984 really grabbed my attention.  Intense and sensitive.  

The Cinderella pdd from BRB was great … Hirata & Morales sparkled with joy and precision.   

I was interested to see Yuri Posdokhiv’s lockdown creation for ENB performed by the original cast … they were really good.  The cast I saw in person at Sadlers Wells at their Reunion programme didn’t come across as well.  

I just watched the gala on-line.  To be honest, I found most of it disappointing (but was very glad to contribute to the good causes which were its purpose).  I must be officially an old fuddy-duddy, as the only segment that truly enthralled me was the BRB duet – I saw the whole ballet on Sunday and this is definitely the best part of it.  Hirata and Morales were, and are, beautiful and worth the price alone.

It was good to see some of Valentino Zucchetti’s choreography (and admire the grown-up Viking beauty of Lukas BB whom I still remember as a little boy!)  I look forward to seeing more work from Zucchetti in future.

I did enjoy the wit and self-mockery of New Adventures, who can be forgiven their dreadful costumes given that this is apparently a joke men’s underwear advert.  But it had made its point about halfway through, and would benefit from being shorter. There is no excuse for some of the other troupes’ costumes though, some of which barely seemed to fit!  And don’t get me started on some of the music.

Curmudgeonly of Essex

• Like 1

On 22/06/2021 at 23:41, FionaE said:

I was interested to see Yuri Posdokhiv’s lockdown creation for ENB performed by the original cast … 

Apologies for not noticing auto-correct …. Should be Yuri Possokhov, of course 

• 4 weeks later...