Dance training around the world

Beezie

Beautiful dancers are trained all around the world, and I assume there are some subtle differences in training technique and styles.

We recently became expats in Belgium from the US.  I find it so interesting to hear about the little differences in my child’s training.  I would love to hear from others who have trained in other countries.  What was particularly unique?  (I realize this also varies from school to school too...and training method to training method.)

Edited by Beezie

Belgium vs US

- We’ve seen several Belgium studios that use mirrors sparingly.  Students need to learn with the mirror, and are then moved to a non-mirror barre to demonstrate competency (most US studios have lots and lots of mirrors)

- Contemporary is integrated very early into training in Belgium and involves a lot of floor work (US usually start kids on tap and jazz, if they want something other than ballet.  Contemporary is saved for the teens.)

- Non-ballet genres seem a little different.  Jazz in Belgium is closer to Lyrical in the US.  Theater Dance in Belgium is closer to Jazz in the US.  A lot of US kids have taken gymnastics, and the US lyrical has integrated some ‘gymnasticy’ tricks. 

-Ballet ‘leaps and turns’ are taught a lot later in Belgium, but basic technique is stronger.  (US starts some basic pirouettes at 7-8yrs, with focus on feeling the movement rather than technique.  In Belgium, my 9yr old’s class is just starting quarter turns and pirouette prep.)

-Teacher reverence: Belgium teachers are a lot more serious.  Compliments from the teacher are held in high regard, and saved for really big accomplishments.  US teachers tend to operate closer to that teacher/friend boundary, especially with older kids.  Lots of compliments and support for everyone.

-In Belgium, training hours for classical ballet are 1 hr per week up to 8yrs and 2 hr per week until 9-10yrs.  Around 13 years, students would consider daily training with a vocational program.  (In the US, training hours are all over the place.  A lot of kids follow the training hours above, but some kids are dancing every day by ages 8-9yrs....though usually in a couple of genres.)

As I write this, I do hope I am not falling into too many generalizations, as I know every studio is different.  This is just the ‘flavor’ I notice, having had my child in a couple US schools and tried a couple Belgium schools while selecting.    And no criticisms-I just find it very interesting how diverse dance training can be.  And all of these methods work, as there are fabulous, happy dance students in all countries.

Edited by Beezie
  • Like 2

My daughter didn't start doing contemporary dance until 14/15 (UK) I see a lot of insta kids age 7,8,9 doing quite emotive contemporary routines and to be honest it just doesn't look right. Mind you I don't like to see that age group doing Sassy Jazz either. 

• Like 7

I'm sure there's plenty of potential here for those whose children have gone and trained abroad to post about the "culture shock" of a different way of training.  Certainly the feedback from those who have gone to Russia to train has been quite an eye-opener!  And we have at various times had contributions from Australia on the difference in mentality over there.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it all depends very much on the school and the demands of the students.  I am always rather surprised to see one hour ballet classes even at RAD headquarters in London, but I gather this is the norm in the UK.  On the other hand, the UK has the excellent associate schemes and of course vocational schools for the serious students.  

On 25/05/2021 at 12:13, Dance*is*life said:

I think it all depends very much on the school and the demands of the students.  I am always rather surprised to see one hour ballet classes even at RAD headquarters in London, but I gather this is the norm in the UK.  On the other hand, the UK has the excellent associate schemes and of course vocational schools for the serious students.  

norm in the UK seems to be one  hour or  90 minutes   but often one hour classes are 'needed' to deliver the full range of  classes the teacher / school wants to offer  and/or  make the income needed to pay for space ...   

do love a 90 minute class, even better when it;s the last / only class of the session in  the studio  and the teacher is a bad time keeper  ( memories of the infamous Jim lurking  at the door way  trying to  attract Nina T-M attention as  her 90 minute class  at Central nights  was  approaching 110 mins  )

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NJH said:

norm in the UK seems to be one  hour or  90 minutes   but often one hour classes are 'needed' to deliver the full range of  classes the teacher / school wants to offer  and/or  make the income needed to pay for space ...   

do love a 90 minute class, even better when it;s the last / only class of the session in  the studio  and the teacher is a bad time keeper  ( memories of the infamous Jim lurking  at the door way  trying to  attract Nina T-M attention as  her 90 minute class  at Central nights  was  approaching 110 mins  )

I've seen both 1 hour and 90 minute classes available in different places.  I think it depends on the teacher and the studio availability.  I tend to do the 1 hour classes because I'm not that fit.  I know my teacher prefers 90 minute classes but sometimes it's harder to get studios for 90 minute classes.  

• Like 1