The Waiting Game!

Hello

It’s that time of year when so many are waiting for emails and the post for audition results that I thought I’d start this light hearted thread about what we all go through (think obsessively checking emails!)

I know many of you are waiting for more important results than me at the moment. We’re just waiting for the hallowed RBS Summer Intensive. We’re very lucky as DD already has a place at Moorland Summer School which she is very excited about and being offered a place at RBS would mean DD would have to make a choice.

.... But, that doesn’t seem to stop me from obsessively checking my emails, not hourly, but every 10 minutes despite me setting my notifications to max volume and my phone right by my side. 

It’s very unlikely DD will be offered a place. She was a flat no for spring and while her photos are a million times better this time round, she could have turned out a bit more here and sickled a little less there, overall the pictures are gorgeous (I can say that, I’m her mum 😁) but if you look closely it’s easy to be critical. 

While I don’t know the result yet, there’s still hope, and yet I’d rather know so I can get on with my day (life!).

Every morning I wake up with hope that today will be the day, and I can relax a little until about 11, knowing they won’t come too

early. Between 11am and 3pm I’m at my worst constantly checking my emails, spam, is my ringer still turned on, has anyone on here posted anything that might have some insight that they could be today!  By 4pm hope is dwindling that it will be today and by 6pm my life returns to a semi normal state. 

I can’t begin to imagine how it must be for all those of you that are waiting for vocational results (that may well be us next year!)

Anyone else? 😁

• Like 2

It's a bit of a rollercoaster isn't it? Just back at the hotel while my DS is at Elmhurst audition. And what am I doing? Yup, checking on this forum!! 🤣

Have to say this forum has been brilliant this year with all the helpful advice especially in exceptionally difficult times...it's been a real antidote to 'doomscrolling' news and has been a positive place to share stories! Good luck everyone with all your DCs!

Edited by TwirlyWhirly
  • Like 1

We're in a similar boat, @SJBallet. Yr 5 daughter on waiting list for Spring Intensive, and applied for summer. I'm not hopeful after reading here that there will be fewer places and perhaps more people who weren't able to attend last year going straight in this year (which is fair, but disappointing for those only old enough to apply this year). She may also wish to apply for vocational school next year, so I'd really love her to have some sort of residential dance experience before that decision is made. Not sure of any alternatives - I think Elmhurst summer school is only from age 11? I didn't know about the Moorlands one (hadn't heard of that institution - off to google, though sounds like it might be too late to apply!).

• Like 1

@TwirlyWhirlygood luck to your DS. You must be in complete tenter hooks just waiting in your room. I hope he has a fab day. 

@GabrielleDeVwell done on wait list for spring. That’s one step ahead of my DD 😂

We’re exactly the same re experience of boarding before diving into the vocational round next year. DD is adamant she wants to go away to school so thought summer school will give her a good insight into

what it may be like being away from home. 

Moorland auditions are still open until the 2nd April. I think it’s a quirk of the system that we’ve found out already, as they said results would be after the closing date which is the 2nd April. 

There is also Malvern which isn’t by audition and which was definitely on our list too.  

• Like 3

Ha ha I could have written the original post! I am so glad i am not the only one who is experiencing temporary insanity email checking syndrome, I am waiting on Summer Intensive results and whilst I have no hope in DS getting a place, I just would like to know either way, the next thing will be CBA Tring results, and then eventually RBS JA results, this is the first year we have started this journey, so we have no expectations as such for him just yet, he is a late starter but capable and lots of potential so just hope the schools think so too. Good luck to everyone especially those waiting for vocational results, thats really nerve wracking!!

• Like 4

Yes!!! Thank you for starting this thread, I feel a little less crazy knowing it’s not just me obsessively checking the forum and emails for any news.  It’s so stressful, isn’t it? And you are so right, it’s easy to become overly critical of and worried about their photos or how they say the auditions went (we are getting more info bit by bit and sounds like even though DS has the most fabulous time, he fluffed quite a few things he’s usually pretty good at - oh well! Nerves and excitement will do that to you.) 

We are waiting for WL results and Summer Intensive (but he’s had ‘waiting list’ the previous three applications so I’m not holding out any hope there). We’ve got another dilemma that news has broken that our local state school, a very good school, is ridiculously oversubscribed this year and a number of children have been given places at schools an hour’s journey away. DS is very lucky because he got a place. If he gets a yes for vocational we will be over the moon but are going to have to have a very serious think about what is best. I’m so stressed! Arghhh! 

Good luck everyone. I hope you all get the results you are hoping for. And if not, there will always be other great opportunities coming along too. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GabrielleDeV said:

We're in a similar boat, @SJBallet. Yr 5 daughter on waiting list for Spring Intensive, and applied for summer. I'm not hopeful after reading here that there will be fewer places and perhaps more people who weren't able to attend last year going straight in this year (which is fair, but disappointing for those only old enough to apply this year). She may also wish to apply for vocational school next year, so I'd really love her to have some sort of residential dance experience before that decision is made. Not sure of any alternatives - I think Elmhurst summer school is only from age 11? I didn't know about the Moorlands one (hadn't heard of that institution - off to google, though sounds like it might be too late to apply!).

Don't give up hope on RBS spring intensive! We gave up DSs place because too difficult to do PCR tests and travelling a long way...so may yet be some movement on wait lists. Also places from cancelled summer course last year aren't automatically rolled over. Our DS needed to reapply in spite of having a summer intensive place last year...still all possible!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SJBallet said:

Moorland auditions are still open until the 2nd April. I think it’s a quirk of the system that we’ve found out already, as they said results would be after the closing date which is the 2nd April. 

There is also Malvern which isn’t by audition and which was definitely on our list too.  

Thank you! That's really helpful. I've just had a look at Moorland and it looks amazing! I am daunted by those video requirements - congratulations to your DD for being accepted (and before the closing date too - they must really want her!). I'll definitely look into Malvern too. That's of course assuming that all these will go ahead as planned.... 

My daughter is the opposite - desperate to go to ballet school, but nervous about leaving home to board.

5 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Don't give up hope on RBS spring intensive! We gave up DSs place because too difficult to do PCR tests and travelling a long way...so may yet be some movement on wait lists. Also places from cancelled summer course last year aren't automatically rolled over. Our DS needed to reapply in spite of having a summer intensive place last year...still all possible!

Wow, I hadn't thought there would still be movement, I'd just assumed that waiting list basically means no. Sorry to hear you had to give up your place after the disappointment of last summer - that must have been really tough for your DS. Hope he gets a summer place this year to make up for that double disappointment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GabrielleDeV said:

My daughter is the opposite - desperate to go to ballet school, but nervous about leaving home to board.

My DS was the same, the idea really made him nervous. Strangely it’s changed in the last few months and now he really wants to board (unfortunately we only applied to one school so his chances are extremely slim of being able to). I think I would struggle with the idea much more than he would now. 

I hope you get to do the tours and hopefully there’ll be summer fairs and open days to enjoy this year. We missed out on those. Those events and opportunities really help with turning those nerves into excitement. :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

My DS was the same, the idea really made him nervous. Strangely it’s changed in the last few months and now he really wants to board (unfortunately we only applied to one school so his chances are extremely slim of being able to). I think I would struggle with the idea much more than he would now. 

I hope you get to do the tours and hopefully there’ll be summer fairs and open days to enjoy this year. We missed out on those. Those events and opportunities really help with turning those nerves into excitement. :) 

Oh that's interesting! Maybe that bit more maturity that comes in year 6 might help my daughter with her confidence. I really feel for the year 6s this year (and their parents too of course!) - must have been so hard making these big decisions without the open days, residentials etc. Really good luck to your DS for his application - you never know, you only need one place, after all!

• Like 1

I’ve just found a penny!!!! Granted it was in my washing machine so could have been mine in the first place but I still found it so that’s got to mean good news is coming surely 😁!!!  

Honestly the madness it drives you to!!!

@Dancedreamerso many lovely opportunities for your DS, but also so much longer to wait. Fingers crossed positive news comes your way. 

@BalletBoyMumma I can’t imagine what it must be like waiting for vocational results as they really could be life changing. And very tricky too if that then also leads to more decisions. Good luck to you and your family. 

@GabrielleDeVI hate doing videos (and photos) it leads to more arguments than anything else but I agree, Moorlands does look amazing, DD loves the look of it so we’re glad we battled through.  

Edited by SJBallet
Grammar
  • Like 3

Massive amounts of good luck to everybody putting together applications, attending auditions and waiting for results in whatever format this year! It has definitely been a challenging one. We are on the vocational school audition journey this year for my DS for Y7 entry, currently sat in the car park waiting for him to finish his Elmhurst final audition which is the last of the four he has done over the past two weeks. He asks every day if we have heard from any of the others at the moment so I am praying it’s not too much longer! We know the odds are slim and know how difficult it is to get a place and he only started dancing 3 years ago so we are absolutely not expecting anything but the hope is still very much there for him. He is desperate for a WL place so part of me wants to hear and another doesn’t just to keep that dream alive for him a little bit longer! I definitely sympathise on the refreshing of emails!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

HI All,

as a mum of a to be vocational student I just want to say to all the other mums/dads/supporters waiting for results - hang on in there! 

This is our first year of applying to vocational schools and it has been an intense experience.  I totally understand the obsessive email checking and I must admit that I am also too familiar with the youtube studio content page view & analysis section 🤩 

I wish every dancer bucket loads of luck and every supporter behind the talent strong nerves!  😍

• Like 3