Nikolai Fadeyechev has passed away

Nikolai Fadeyechev, Soviet and Russian ballet dancer, People's Artist of Russia has passed away at the age of 87.

https://www.bolshoi.ru/about/press/articles/memory/nikolai-fadeyechev-has-passed/

He had been partner of great Soviet ballerinas such as Ulanova and Plisetskaya, and after his retirement he coached many dancers such as Sergei Filin, Andrey Uvarov, Nikolai Tsiskaridze, Ruslan Skvortsov.

i wonder any one of you might remember him in the legendary 1956 Bolshoi tour in London when he danced Albrecht with Ulanova's Giselle. And he also danced with Nadia Nerina. 

Fadeyechev was the father of Alexei, a Bolshoi Star in his own right, often the partner of Ananiashvili, creator of roles in some early Ratmansky ballets. The family leaves a legacy on a good swath of Bolshoi history.

May he Rest In Peace.

• Like 3

Very sad news. I saw Nikolai Borisovich Fadeechev on stage many times, he was a true danseur noble. As a répétiteur he was  adored by his illustrious pupils. He was also a real gentleman, with welcoming affable manners. I translated a few remarks made by ballerinas who danced with him.

Galina Ulanova: "Before the tour of London, we rehearsed with Fadechev in Moscow, but we never danced together in any performance. We did it in England for the first time. Any fears would have been needless. Fadeechev is a talented classical dancer. It turned out that he was a good partner too, he has hands I felt myself comfortable in. He quickly became a Principal in our troupe."

Marina Kondratieva: “In our choreographic school, we, girls, were competing on who will be dancing with Kolya at the duet class.”

Lyudmila Semenyaka: “I look at Nikolai Fadeechev as one of the gods of the ballet Olympus. He is a great master and an amazing human being. Dancing with him was a great happiness. He is a unique, one-of-a-kind partner who not only supports the ballerina, but gives her the opportunity to soar freely on stage. Nikolai Borisovich is my godfather in art.”

Raisa Struchkova: “He danced splendidly, in his own individual manner - it was sublime, delicate, refreshingly beautiful.”

Maya Plisetskaya: “I’m sure most of the people who, after reading the article, will think: Why is Plisetskaya praising Fadeechev so much? I am writing this article so that the colleagues who work with him knew that there is such an artist who can not be spoiled by any praise, an artist who can be an example to follow."

Nikolai Fadeechev was Galina Ulanova’s Albert at that legendary performance of “Giselle” at Covent Garden attended by the Queen and later recorded for posterity.
Act 1:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQ_hCJ5S9M
Act 2:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heYiHlKcJWg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Amelia said:

Nerina and Fadeyechev - Giselle (extract) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s5fi6YtMDM

Plisetskaya and Fadeyechev - Swan Lake (full ballet, 1957) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AFNO1SS43Y

Plisetskaya and Fadeyechev - Prelude (1967)

Thank you! This Prelude clip is so beautiful. And good to hear your memories of Fadeyechev.  

I am disappointed that- so far- there have been no obituaries of Fadeyechev in the national press. Indirectly he had some influence on British ballet in the 1960s as he epitomised the Bolshoi's expressiveness and technical virtuosity that influenced Aston and others. In particular his partnership with Nadia Nerina, both in her guest performances at the Bolshoi and in the BBC version of Giselle, will have influenced Ashton a little in creating Fille mal Gardee on Nerina. (There is an ICA DVD available of the BBC Giselle, which includes Lydia Sokolova as Giselle's mother, so is an archive treasure, and MacMillan's first muse, Margaret Hill, as Myrthe, and Peter Wright as Wilfried, his first performance in the ballet of which he was later to develop such marvellous productions). Incidentally, I think I once read that the overhead lifts in Act 2 that we see in most productions nowadays were only introduced in Britain after the Bolshoi's visit and the BBC Nerina/Fadeyechev screening.

I never saw Fadeyechev dance live but the Paul Cszinner (?) film of the Bolshoi Ballet, taken during the famous 1956 London season, with Ulanova and Fadeyechev in (an abridged) Giselle, had a huge impact on me. As Amelia says, he was a true danseur noble. His son was a good dancer, but not in the same league. I think his grandson also has danced with the Bolshoi, albeit in minor character roles.

• Like 5

On 01/07/2020 at 14:29, SheilaC said:

I am disappointed that- so far- there have been no obituaries of Fadeyechev in the national press.

I presume that those ballet critics that we have now had no chance to see Nikolai Fadeyechev on stage. Had Clement Crisp been as active now as he was before, probably he would have written a nice obituary.

Edited by Amelia
Shortened the quotation.
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Some might be interested in watching a 60-min. programme about Nikolai Fadeyechev, which was shown on Russian TV in 1981. The talking sequences can be easily skipped from one ballet scene to another. There are scenes there from the Bolshoi’s old productions of Giselle, Swan Lake, Chopiniana, The Sleeping Beauty, Raymonda, Carmen, The Stone Flower, and Anna Karenina. Fadeyechev’s partners there were Galina Ulanova, Maya Plisetskaya, Nina Timofeyeva and Marina Kondratyeva. There are also sequences of him rehearsing with younger dancers: Vyacheslav Gordeyev, Alexander Bogatyrev and Alexey Fadeyechev.

Edited by Amelia
typo
  • Like 1