Help Needed Tring Audition

MrsKrabz

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with what the solo should be as DD has a Middle School Dance Audition for Tring 😊

As she is already doing a Ballet and Jazz class as part of the audition, should the 1 minute solo be in Ballet or some other style of dance, as starting to get very stressed now😧

Thanks in advance

Showing her passion for dance, most important, but they will always be interested that she can perform other styles other than ballet ( which is the predominant part of the audition). Something leaning towards contemporary/ lyrical/ jazz goes down well, but only if she loves doing it!

• Like 1

My DD rehearsed solo night before in the hotel. She is classicaly ballet trained but improvised to Bjork music and went for contemporary with some 'pop-ing and locking'. I guess the panel loved it (she received offer but declined due to funding). She was somehow relaxed for audition solos and never rehearsed too much in advance which stressed me a lot as I had feeling “she does not care”. But it works for her. I would only say – do not be afraid to come out of your comfort zone. Good luck x

• Like 2

I think the MDS funding is tied to potential in ballet at Tring. A friend of DD’s was offered a place, but not funding, and on reflection her mum wondered if a ballet solo would have given an extra opportunity to demonstrate this, rather than the modern solo she actually went in with. I have no idea whether this is right or not, but those funded places certainly seem to be like hen’s teeth!

Edited by SissonneDoublee

I would always suggest choosing whatever the dancer feels shows them in their best light if there is an option. Often, but not always, this will be whatever they enjoy most.

It is tempting to dwell on things like this if the outcome of an audition is not what you were hoping for, but there are so many factors and in reality one can never know if a different choice would have led to a different outcome. 

I always think it is best to be yourself in auditions, job interviews etc. If you have shown the real you to the best of your abilities and that is not what the panel are looking for then they are probably not right for you any more than you are right for them.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

As a mom with a year 7 on MDS at Tring....id say ballet! Trings focus is on clasical ballet. From what Im aware most girls in school did ballet solos as did the other girl that got awarded MDS. Tring do not really start contemporary until about year 9..... ballet is their base to all dance. For some reason Tring seems to get over looked as a predominantly ballet school, it is an utrerly amazing place to train and my daughter is loving life and thriving at Tring.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...