The Spring 2020 edition of ROH magazine announces a gala to support the ROH Covent Garden Foundation on Wednesday 20 May 2020, comprising a programme of opera and ballet on the main stage. There’s the option of dinner with the performers and ROH staff afterwards.

Full details will be shared in the Summer 2020 magazine (out in January).

• Like 8

This sounds interesting! I hope they do have a reasonable range of prices, and also availability for non-friends on general booking day too! 

As an aside I wonder when we'll get more information about the Linbury heritage programme that's been mentioned a few times. I hope we get more details in the January magazine also perhaps? I imagine that the Linbury programme might be programmed to tie in with the above? 

• Like 1

Has anyone ever been to a mixed opera and ballet gala at the Royal Opera House that worked? It has always been my experience that one part fizzled out and depressed the atmosphere. The successful galas have, in my experience, been either opera or ballet. Can anyone point to one which disproves my point?

20 hours ago, Douglas Allen said:

Has anyone ever been to a mixed opera and ballet gala at the Royal Opera House that worked? It has always been my experience that one part fizzled out and depressed the atmosphere. The successful galas have, in my experience, been either opera or ballet. Can anyone point to one which disproves my point?

Nope, but this 2012 post from my long-defunct blog supports your experience! https://croceedeliziaalcor.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/extraordinary-in-part/

22 hours ago, Douglas Allen said:

Yes - the gala that was arranged at very short notice in order to raise funds following the Tsunami in 2004.  This remains the best gala I've been to.  It had a wonderful mix of many favourites from both opera and ballet, as well as some very poignant pieces/films, and the general overall feeling that we were all there  (both performers and audience), very much pulling together, to try to help a little in such a disastrous situation.   (Otherwise, like you, I never feel that the balance is right and they never quite work - although I keep going in the hope that "this one" might be different). 

• Like 4