Keeping hips level in extensions devant

ArucariaBallerina

Hi,

I'm asking for guidance as, though on my right side my extensions devant are well placed, my left leg is not. When I reach past 45 degrees, my left hip comes up, making me lose my turnout and hips shift to the barre! I really try to think of pulling up, weight on supporting leg and using my glute and hamstring to push under, but I don't know what else to do.

Thought to be fair I have made an improvement in that now I can at least get to 45, does anybody have any corrections?

Thank you

I have a similar problem - a lack of strength and control in adage type movements when the right leg is the supporting leg and the left is the working leg. I think it's very much related to the "dominant leg" question on another thread with one side being more flexible and the other more strong. I'm concentrating on strengthening the supporting side and on using the torso and spine to control the hips. I can really feel the difference between the two sides. If I stand on my left leg and put my hand on my waist I can feel a wall of super-strong corsetry that just isn't there in the same way on the right hand side. So I'm working on building strength and control in the lats, back and abdominals equally on both sides. I definitely think of it as a problem mainly of the supporting side rather than of the working leg. And I'm trying to work equally on both sides. I realise that if I practice or mark a movement it will automatically be on my "favourite" side and I'm sure that has an effect over time.

I believe that going as far as you can with good form, hold it there, slowly increase over time is pretty much the only solution to that one. Currently starting doing something similar to try and stop overusing my quads. <le sigh>

• Like 1

I would be experimenting with loosening all the different elements of the hamstrings especially on your weaker leg. They are pretty complex and  people tend to keep doing the same old stretches which tend to target  only one particular area. One session with a physio would be able to help you. It doesn’t have to be a dance physio if you are clear at describing what you want to achieve, but cost is always an issue. Hamstrings would be in relation to the other suggestions other posters have put forward as it’s rarely just one fix.

Its one of the most challenging positions to achieve and if it’s any consolation a friend told me she was on the barre behind a very famous ENB principal whose devant was anything but perfect as far as the hips were concerned!

• Like 1

Try doing extensions on your back on the floor so you can focus on exactly where your hips are without having to focus of other parts of your body just yet. Hope this helps, I used to have the same problem. Also, congratulations on your place at Moorland! 😊💙

I'm the other way round....my right supporting leg is much stronger than my left so need to work more on the left side. 

Unfortunately though due to a knee injury currently in the right leg I've got no good leg at the moment!! ( Though much better than it was a month ago) 

I think there is always a bit of unevenness with hips but it's definitely best when training not to sacrifice placement for more height however tempting. 

Of course some professionals do do this but I hope they realise the audience will probably notice!!

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I'm the other way round....my right supporting leg is much stronger than my left so need to work more on the left side. 

Unfortunately though due to a knee injury currently in the right leg I've got no good leg at the moment!! ( Though much better than it was a month ago) 

I think there is always a bit of unevenness with hips but it's definitely best when training not to sacrifice placement for more height however tempting. 

Of course some professionals do do this but I hope they realise the audience will probably notice!!

Have you tried Bowen therapy for you knee injury ? non invasive, safe and often helpful :)