Dance School Scotland

tutoo2much

Does anyone know whether or not students from other parts of the UK can apply to and attend The Dance School of Scotland. I didnt see this information on the web-site. I understand there are no fees. Are there m/any Welsh or English students there? Are the academics comparable? Finally how does the dance/academic mix work? Is it a normal secondary school with a dance and musical theatre course attached?

Edited by tutoo2much

I wonder whether a Dance School of England or Wales or Northern Ireland, fee-free, accepting only students who live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland would be tolerated?! Scotland is part of the UK so surely students from any part of the UK should be able to attend a free Scottish vocational school?

The funding for Dance School of Scotland is paid directly from the Scottish Government to Glasgow City Council to pay for the school, it does not come from central government. It has been a struggle to maintain this situation but the Scottish Government currently invests well in the arts. Perhaps a good idea would be to campaign to have something similar in England and Wales. The Dance School is a fantastic institution that prides itself on accepting students solely based on talent. Parental income is not a barrier to opportunity.

I suppose we then get into the murky waters of there being a separate Scottish parliament when there is no separate English parliament and most pertinently from where the funding provided to Glasgow City Council actually comes...I have no issue with there being a fully funded school available in Scotland but whilst Scotland is in fact part of the UK and receives funding from the central government, applicants should be accepted from all parts of the UK.

As you say this discussion takes us into the murky waters of where the money comes from in the first place. However, a choice is made by the Scottish Government on how to spend the money they have. If the money was not transferred to Glasgow City Council to pay for the Dance School it would be used on another Scottish project e.g reducing class sizes in primary schools. In the current difficult economic climate there are those in Scotland who most likely object to the funding of the Dance School. However, it is cherished by Scotland and as a result continues to be funded. If it opened to applicants from outside Scotland I suspect there would be a huge debate re funding.

For the record when my DS was at the Dance School there were two English students. However, I believe there was a connection to Scotland although I am not sure of the facts.

A friend of mine has long campaigned for an English Parliament, (since Scotland, Wales and NI have the equivalent, why not?) and actually appeared on the BBC's Question Time programme.

He was openly sneered at, called a "Little Englander" by the panel and other audience members and it was insinuated that he was nothing more than a racist.

We are all part of the UK, and have the same Queen and Prime Minister. What is available in one part should be available to all (IMHO).

• Like 2

I wonder what rules the school uses to determine residency in Scotland? Could one move there at the time of the auditions, for example, or simply rent a property in Scotland, or have a second or holiday home on the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond?

If it's anything like the university fees situation, you have to be resident in Scotland for (I think) 2 years prior to applying for university to get the reduction.Or so i've been told anyway.

The most unfair part about the Scottish university fees situation is that it disadvantages English students in comparison to other EU countries as well. Only the English have to pay fees other European nationals don't. Someone tried to bring a court case about it, but it was not allowed.

I can see where you are coming from Julie :) If it is any consolation we got a reality check big time when DS went to ballet school in London last year. Maximum maintenance loan that DS could apply for as a Scottish domiciled student was £940 compared to approx £5,000 he could have applied for as an English student. That did not go far in London! So swings and roundabouts!

The reason that the children who attend the Dance School of Scotland have to live in Scotland in because the residence is not open at the weekend unless there are enough children who stay further away Fort William and the Islands etc and would be unable to travel.xxx

• Like 2

I take my hat off to Scotland for having its own Vocational school that is free to its own residents. There isnt much in the way of ballet opportunities that far north of the border. Bless them they have to even fly to London if the want to go to any of the London based associates. I know it doesnt seem fair regarding the fees, how ever I have never felt if fair that foreign students are given places over British students into our vocational schools and if they are part of the EU I think entitled to some funding. I know that my own dd attends a foreign school but not at the detriment of its own nationalities, and regardless of ability still have to pay. Sorry going off on a tangent now.

• Like 3

Does this mean that if you moved to Scotland for 2 years before you could then be entitled?Can people in Scotland get mds for English vocational schools?sorry I'm not in the UK so I'm a bit unsure.Would this be true,if we moved to Scotland 2 years before we could then try for free vocational training and also try for mds in England?

Toomuchtalent, you have to be resident in the UK for 3 years to be eligible for MDS. So if you are British living abroad and return to the UK you have to live here for 3 years before qualifying. MDS is available for all the UK, England, NI, Scotland and Wales

• Like 1