Northern Ballet Class Live

1 hour ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

Why are /were some of the females wearing pointe shoes during the warm up /Barre? Not seen this before.

Sometimes some of the ladies in NB do the whole class in pointe shoes.  It has always been this so I have never wondered why.

• Like 1

Quite normal to wear pointe shoes for class if a professional dancer feels that is what she needs. All ladies in Balanchine's classes were expected to wear pointe shoes for class and warm up before if they needed to. In one of the companies I worked for in France females were also expected to wear pointe shoes for class and this was fairly common. It is the soft blocks that I think are a waste of time, no professionals use them. It is soft shoes or pointe shoes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

Why are /were some of the females wearing pointe shoes during the warm up /Barre?

As others say - perfectly normal. Notice how other dancers are wearing just socks or warm-up bootees, not ballet shoes (soft or pointe). It's whatever works for the individual dancer, what performance roles they're preparing for, and so on.

Edited to add: Thank you for giving us this link - I"m so enjoying watching this class (in between boring paper work) - the barre work is really interesting, seeing Ms Ichino's teaching approach - it's a class that looks so lovely & juicy for dancing bodies - I find myself wanting to do it with them!

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 3