RBS Senior Associates Auditions

swanprincess

Hi everyone! I'm thinking about auditioning for the 2nd year of RBS Senior Associates. Does anyone know of any dd's getting a place for 2nd year, or is this very uncommon? Also, what kind of grade/standard would those accepted be? I'm not sure wether to go for it, as the auditions are held on school-days, and the audition fee plus travel to BRB or Covent Garden would make it very expensive... I auditioned last year unsuccessfully, but two of my friends, who in the past 3 years had auditioned every year for Associates/WL, getting a straight 'No' each time, were given SWL! I'm just not sure wether to 'waste my time' (as my Mum puts it, although she said if I decide to audition, she will support me) auditioning when so few places are available- although even just SWL would make me absolutely ecstatic to have been noticed ;) ... any advice gratefully recieved :)

S x

• Like 1

Well I had a student get accepted into 2nd year SA s after years of SWL and a straightfoward no for 1st year SA (she was a JA prior to that).

Did you enjoy the experience last time? If you did and felt it worth the expense to at least get a class in that environment then I feel that even if you are not successful then it won't be a waste of time, especially if you come out of it feeling that you acquitted yourself better than before. And if you don't go you definately won't get in!!!

However if you didn't really get that much out of it last time then perhaps the money would be better spent on a summer school or new pointe shoes or something!

• Like 4

Thanks for posting this Swanprincess - I'm interested in this topic as my dd may apply for the first time to associates with RBS this year (and would be first year SA). Both posts above refer to SWL- what does this acronym mean??

Swanprincess- what was the audition like last time?...anything to do with RBS seems intimidating!

• Like 1

Taxi's right - it's Short Waiting List

I used to think it was a bit odd as it's basically just a Waiting List (but the RBS do refer to it as a "short" one) and we can't use WL as the abbreviation as that gets used for White Lodge!! :)

• Like 1

My cousin's son auditioned for 2nd year SA's last year. He was doing two classes per week at his local dance school and had done a couple of EYB's where he had the opportunity for "mens" training. he hadn't ever applied for RBS associates before. Off he went from the north to London for his audition, had a lovely experience, he felt they had a good look at him and was able to have a go at everything he was asked to do. he didn't find it intimidating at all and found everyone friendly and helpful. He was given a place to start this September!! So yes do have a go and most of all enjoy your experience!

NL

• Like 7

Thankyou everyone for all your lovely responses, it's really helpful :) How strict are they with regards to physique? Although I have quite long legs etc, I do have a mild (10 degree) curvature of the spine. It is barely noticeable, except one of my hips/shoulders is minutely higher than the other-. Is it unheard of for a dancer with a spinal curvature to be accepted on to any RBS course?

Edited to add- Thanks Amythyst, that's interesting, as I'm currently studying Intermediate; i'm glad to know that RBS don't always look for incredibly high grades etc!! ;)

Edited by swanprincess

Swanprincess, if there's one thing I've learned from years of reading this forum it's that you could easily go insane trying to figure out what the RBS (and the other schools come to that) are looking for! I'm sure they do consider any physical problems that may potentially lead to injuries later etc but there will be a myriad of other considerations too.In my humble opinion, it's probably best not to stress about what they want physically as you probably will never find out for sure, and you can't really change your physical proportions etc. I'm a great believer in not worrying about things that you can't change.

Of course the probability of anyone getting a place on these courses is small. There aren't many places and there's always going to be many, many more applicants than there are spaces for. I think as long as you go with a pragmatic approach, determined to enjoy the day for it's own sake and not get too stressed about the outcome, then you've nothing to lose by trying. But don't over think things! Go, do your best, smile and enjoy it, and what will be will be. Good luck!

• Like 9

Someone'll correct me if it's changed... but here's how it used to be - whatever level you're going for:

Students who have ticked the school and/or associates box audition together. If you only ticked the associate box there is still a possibility that they'll invite you to a final audition for the school. Although this means they want to have another look and think you might be suitable for full-time training, it is by no means a 'cert' for a place. I do know some students who have got in after this happening (some who post on here) but I know more who haven't. I also know someone who was invited to audition for US a year early and then didn't get in - it must be hard to get your hopes built up, to then be disappointed.

Sorry - went off on a bit of a tangent :-)

• Like 1

I can't see a problem with going to the WL audition, although presume you would have to tick both boxes. If your dd did end up being offered a WL final, you could always turn it down if thet isn't what she wanted. The school would be happy to help you, though, as they are very approachable, so if you want a definitive answer it may just be best to ask!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In my experience, all children are offered the opportunity of an audition for associates. I believe the decisions are mainly made during the audition process but the photos are there to prompt them should they need to remember which candidate is which or are undecided. It is how they dance on the day that is most important!

• Like 4

Hi Swanprincess, my DD auditioned when she was in year 10 for 2nd year SA's and got a place. At the time she had been studying at Advanced 2 level for about a year, however one of the girls who got a place at the same time as her took her intermediate the summer before she started in SA's. I think RBS are just looking for what they like and it would be near on impossible to guess what that might be. If you enjoy the audition experience at RBS and get something from it then audition as nothing ventured nothing gained. You definitely can't be offered a place if you're not at the audition. Good luck to you if you decide to go ahead :)

• Like 2

Does anyone know whether the audition photos (for SA) are used to select who is invited to audition or do all those who apply go to audition? Many thanks

Hi Tulte, RBS sent my dd an e-mail acknowledgement the same day they received the application form and said they look forward to seeing her at the audition - details of which would be sent 2 weeks before.