Scottish ballet

Poppy

Hi

Thanks, I have heard people say they are applying for Scottish ballet but when checking Scottishballet.co.uk it seems to be the company and not the 6th vocational college.

Wondering which the vocational college they would be referring too. (also heard it's there first graduation year if that helps)

Any ideas appreciated 

Poppy - if people are talking about a vocational college which has its first year of graduates coming through this year, which has an association with Scotish Ballet I think it will be the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (Formerly Royal Scotish Academy of Music and Dance)

http://www.rcs.ac.uk/undergraduate/dance/

There is also the Dance School of Scotland - but this has been running much longer. This takes students from 11 and is the only state run vocational dance school in the UK I believe:

http://www.thedanceschoolofscotland.org.uk/

Ballet West is also a vocational school in Scotland - 3 hours north of Glasgow. My DD met some dancers from there at summer school. She was keen to apply herself this year and we received the prospectus from them. It is also a school that is rapidly growing with building work going on at the moment I have been led to believe. They invite you to audition by taking class with the current students (or at least that is what they offered for my DD). In the end we did not follow this option, not because of the school itself but the fact that from where we live it would take 2 days to get there in the first place. As a family we decided it was not the place for DD.

• 1 month later...

Thanks spannerandpony,

Been a bit hesitant about posting success as so many others disappointed. She's also been offered Laines as well and is now in a bit of a quandry as where to go. Classical ballet has always been her passion but Laines so good as well. Hence wanting some more info on Ballet West.

My daughter is in her 1st yr at Ballet West and loves it. The staff are professional and friendly. The course classical and challenging. The accommodation is fantastic. She has just completed a tour of Swan Lake with the company which was a fabulous interpretation. I hope this helps. Having more than 1 daughter in vocational training I feel I am in a position to compare the training at Ballet West with The Royal and Tring.

• Like 3

As you can read in the thread above my DD met several girls from in the final 2 years of Ballet West. Cannot remember any details of what they told us but the gist was that they absolutely loved the course and the performing opportunities. We've had the prospectus and read up on it and my DD would love to go there. Re funding : obviously Laines comes in the high fees or DADA camp but Ballet WEst is part of a university surely and as far as I am aware you can therefore get the normal student loans for fees and accommodation, the same as any university student. You then only start to pay back the loan once you are earning above a certain threshold. For us the finances would probably be the deciding factor ultimately, as the training will be excellent at both places.