private boarding in chester for hammond

famcandance2

I must admit I have never heard of students just not appearing. It is shocking as there are other student who would snap them places up who are on the waiting list. Still they must perhaps have their reasons that only the school know about perhaps. Didn't one of the teachers at the Hammond rent out rooms in her own house, I think she did it for the 6th formers.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I have emailed the school post haste. I know the ex-cook used to board pupils but she is unwell so doesn't anymore. Don't know about any teachers. A name would be helpful. Thanks again.

Hi I am sorry to hear of your daughters plight. I am aware that independant schools do tend to use guardianship agencies.for some of their boarders who maybe from another country. I will pm you.

Ax

Edited by amber21

famcandance, do you think it might be better for you to ask this question of the school yourself as, presumably, they will have knowledge of staff offering boarding or if there is currently space in the boarding house? Perhaps the more they hear from you directly the more they will realise how serious you and our dd are about taking up the place?

Another thought is have you talked to the school about deferring the place until next year when they can factor your dd into the numbers for boarding before the houses fill up? It isn't so long until auditions for next year start anyway so they will be offering places for next year soon enough!

Having said that, I do perhaps agree that you should be thinking about setting a time limit on your endeavours as it will possibly be easier for our daughter to settle when she knows where she will be longer term!

• Like 1

That's true, spanner, but I think that famcandance's dd was offered the place while at summer school (sorry if this is wrong) so it isn't much different time wise to the first round of auditions this term. I guess that another option would just be to audition along with everyone else this term and hope that that results in the offer of a place for next year!

• Like 1

I'm going to be brutally frank and say that it seems to me that if you want some good dance training and you can't get her a funded place in a vocational school, you've got two choices - travel long distances (for good dance school or associate programme or DSoS), or move house.

I know families from Scotland who have done both. Travelling to London by plane or train to RBS associates for example - I think they managed to get most travel paid for by sponsors.

Sadly if your can't do either of these options perhaps you'll have to reconsider dance as a future career path for her. I'm sorry if this sounds a bit black and white but sometimes we can't do what we want in life due to circumstances.

As we've discussed before, lots of children go on to get into upper schools/colleges at 16 without going to full-time vocational schools, but they do need to have good teaching to keep up.

I hope you can find a way to get her the training she needs/wants, but you have some tough decisions to make as a family about whether you invest the time and money needed to get it. I'm sure I'm not saying anything you haven't already considered.

Good luck.

(I hope this all makes sense - writing on my phone can be an issue!)

Edited to say , whoops - meant to put this in your other thread ' Help for an unhappy girl' - can't change it from my phone

• Like 4