RAD grades v Vocational grades

balletmummy

A friend has a query which someone may be able to help with. Their dd is wanting to go down the vocational route of dance teaching. Should she focus on the RAD majors (vocational grades) rather than the normal grades? She presumes it is better to do both as it gives better foundations in technique and if dd wanted to teach then she would learn the syllabus?

What routes have others taken to teach RAD ballet?

Thank you!

There are various methods of achieving Registered teacher status RTS in RAD but as minimum a dancer needs intermediate ballet RAD so I’d say that would be the main priority for any prospective teacher! However first hand knowledge of the grade syllabus will obviously benefit the learner too so knowledge of both is ideal!

The RAD website gives lots of information on teacher training and the various routes available 😊

Edited by Clarkd3

Just to add, 

To the best of my knowledge anyone can technically teach ballet (quite frightening really) but teach with the accreditation of RAD and therefore enter pupils into the RAD exams is only available through qualifications gained at RAD HQ. Either as a full time pupil at post A levels or by distant learning and attendance at the Centre several times a year. Full details on there website. There are regular open days and taster days at HQ which can be very helpful as it gives you the opportunity to ask questions as well as experience the school before applying. 

Edited by balletbean

The RAD have said I can use my current qualifications with another exam board to become an RAD teacher. I have a BBO Level 5 teaching qualification and I’m mid way through my Level 6 teaching qualification. I believe a colleague who has quals with a different exam board was turned down by the RAD because the qualification didn’t match the standard of the RAD qualification and therefore was not transferable. 

6 hours ago, Bluebird22 said:

The RAD have said I can use my current qualifications with another exam board to become an RAD teacher. I have a BBO Level 5 teaching qualification and I’m mid way through my Level 6 teaching qualification. I believe a colleague who has quals with a different exam board was turned down by the RAD because the qualification didn’t match the standard of the RAD qualification and therefore was not transferable. 

was the  unspecificed  Different  Exam Board  a CDET  or as they are now  called CDMT   member organisation or not ? 

RAD / BBO /IDTA /ISTD / BATD  etc  are all CDET/CDMT  recognised  - hence the  relative ease peopel report in swapping between 

12 hours ago, Bluebird22 said:

Quite certain it was IDTA, I know I couldn’t use my IDTA quals to enter at a higher level on the course I’m currently doing. 

hence 'relative' ease ...  rather than  straight interchangability,  

this is before  we  get into the realms of ' APL can be given '  stuff ... 

• 5 months later...

I would say definitely both - while not essential to be accepted on a teaching course, extra training and extra syllabus knowledge can only be a good thing for the future career.

Perhaps not a common opinion, but I feel anyone who is serious about ballet would benefit from following both the graded and vocational routes. Each offer certain elements that can’t be found in the other. 

• Like 2