Prix de Lausanne choices

Pas de Quatre

Because these are the prizes from Partner organisations who offer a school place for younger prize winners or an apprenticeship for the older ones. The prize winners get to choose their destination. There is just one who is not taking up their prize, presumably has accepted a paying contract elsewhere. Have a look at the Prix website, it is all set out there.

• Like 1

As far as I am aware once a school/company has offered a prize they are duty bound to accept someone who chooses them. I think for schools they generally keep them til graduation but for companies it's interesting to see thereafter they then get further employment in the company beyond the apprentice year - not necessarily because of their quality as a dancer but whether they fit what the company wants I suppose (and presumably whether the dancer actually likes the company having spent a year there- no doubt it works both ways!).

• Like 5

The school or company must accept the student for a year but I understand there is some dialogue between the student, the school/ company and the Prix organisers which is why the destinations aren't announced right away. If more than one prize winner chooses the same school or company, that school/ company only has to take the higher placed winner, but can take two or more if they wish.

Very surprised that three are headed to the ENB after the company's recent challenges.

I think this is the first time in several years that no one has chosen an apprenticeship with the RB. Perhaps they feel that they have a greater chance of a permanent contract with another company, or are indeed offered one at the outset.

9 hours ago, invisiblecircus said:

Very surprised that three are headed to the ENB after the company's recent challenges.

Perhaps there are as many dancers there who are happy as the ones who have left and weren’t? 

According to my dd who toured with them last year it certainly seemed like an incredibly vibrant and happy company.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, amos73 said:

Perhaps there are as many dancers there who are happy as the ones who have left and weren’t? 

According to my dd who toured with them last year it certainly seemed like an incredibly vibrant and happy company.

my distinct impression is that it's polarised  if people inside  like and are liked by  Ms Rojo and  the Senior Staff  then all is well , but  if  they  fall out   the falling out is big ... 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, invisiblecircus said:

I think this is the first time in several years that no one has chosen an apprenticeship with the RB. Perhaps they feel that they have a greater chance of a permanent contract with another company, or are indeed offered one at the outset.

I did a quick scan of the winners since 2011 who chose RB as an apprentice - only 1 (David Yudes) stayed with the company beyond the apprentice year (and every year except 2012 I think had one person who chose RB as an apprentice - so that's an uptake rate of only one in 5). Who knows whether that is their choice or whether they didn't get a contract offer, but if I were a winner with only the statistics available to me to support my choice it wouldn't be very encouraging....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CeliB said:

I did a quick scan of the winners since 2011 who chose RB as an apprentice - only 1 (David Yudes) stayed with the company beyond the apprentice year (and every year except 2012 I think had one person who chose RB as an apprentice - so that's an uptake rate of only one in 5). Who knows whether that is their choice or whether they didn't get a contract offer, but if I were a winner with only the statistics available to me to support my choice it wouldn't be very encouraging....

Yes, exactly, that was my point.

RB has been a popular choice for a number of years as you say, especially when you consider the number of companies on offer, but winners who have chosen other companies seem to have been a lot more successful at getting a contract with the same company. Last year in particular there were very few contracts available at the RB with several of their own apprentices not getting one.

However, as I recorded on an RB thread, Gerald Dowler has revealed in the April Dancing Times that Stanislaw Wegrzyn, the current Prix apprentice at the RB, will be joining the company next season.

It may be the case that  the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers' Programme at the RB is perceived as limiting the opportunities for 'outsiders' to secure permanent contracts.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, capybara said:

However, as I recorded on an RB thread, Gerald Dowler has revealed in the April Dancing Times that Stanislaw Wegrzyn, the current Prix apprentice at the RB, will be joining the company next season.

I hadn't heard that, that's great news for him!

10 hours ago, capybara said:

It may be the case that  the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers' Programme at the RB is perceived as limiting the opportunities for 'outsiders' to secure permanent contracts.

Perceived by who? I'm sure it IS limiting the opportunities for outsiders, but the RB is under no obligation to share the contracts around or make it easier for anyone. With the exception of the first year of the programme, the Aud Jebsen young dancers have exclusively been RBS graduates, and I'm sure many are glad to see the opportunities given to them. How many times do we see people complaining that more contracts are not being given to graduates of a company's own school? :D

• Like 4