Good dance schools in Worcestershire.

firebird

Where are you in Worcestershire and what kind of training are you looking for?  Without a doubt I can recommend Harlequin Stage School based just outside Worcester.  It is a very strong competition/festival school but they also get amazing RAD/ISTD exam results and have a fantastic reputation getting their students into Associate Schemes and Vocational Schools/Colleges.  They have a website and facebook but unfortunately i'm not good enough technology wise to post the links. My DD danced with Miss Paula for 6 years until we moved house.

• Like 1

Thanks Jan and Belle.  I will look in to Harlequin. I did see website but wondered if it was more drama based. My dd wanted a RAD school that would help her progress fairly quickly as she is a bit behind as she started late and through another examination board. Does anyone know what Academy in Worcester is like in comparison to Harlequin? I am looking for a couple of classes a week with jazz and then top up in Birmingham one day a week. Thanks again for your advice.

• Like 1

Harlequin look fabulous for ballet from what I’ve seen. Take a look at their insta videos of their ballet exam girls.  I’ve always thought if I move to Worcester I’d send my dd there. The girls My dd knows of from there are excellent ballet dancers. Quite a number of them at RBS associates in varying year groups x 

I dont know of the other school but then I’m not local to the area. 

The best thing would probably be to ask for a trial at both and see what feels right to you and your dd. Do the classes suit (days, times, size, price)? Would your dd feel happy to go there? Will they support her with her goals? Do you like the people? It has to be a good fit all round  xx  

Harlequin are very ballet focused but an amazing all round training and if Paula feels your child is talented she will do what she can them.  My dd was there from 3 - 10 years old and then we moved to Essex to another amazing school. - I credit Harlequin for her younger years - she's an all round dancer and is off to Laine in September x

• Like 1

Spirals Dance and performance academy is in Bromsgrove is IDTA and LAMDA.

They have students who have gone on to top vocational schools, Bird, Emil Dale to name but a few and have one student who was Bruce in Matilda on the West End for two years.

They have excellent results in competitions and exams

I can also recommend Harlequin. My DD only went there for a few terms and for higher grades. They seem to get quite a few from a fairly large radius for the advanced grades as a lot of schools don't have enough students for advanced ballet classes. My DD only left because she went to vocational school at 16. They did seem to do a lot of festivals/competitions but you can just opt to do classes. My DD did RAD advanced 1 and some jazz classes there. I'm not local to Worcester - we had an hours drive to get there so I don't know of the other school you mention. I would also advise a trial class at both schools and to see what suits your timetable and where your DD feels more at home.

Edited by 2dancersmum
  • Like 1

I suppose I am equidistance from both Birmingham and Worcester but I am concerned about midweek lessons so am hopping the train to B'ham for one lesson.

I just want to get the right school as I am moving her from another school that she wasn't getting enough ballet hours or corrections. Also she wants to catch-up and is incredibly motivated, dedicated and focused so I want to do the best for her and get this switch right.

The previous school was very festival/competition focused and I feel the students not in these troupes don't seem to progress at all. I have been doing the work at home with her and have seen great improvements.

I can also recommend Harlequin as my dd was there for a number of years.  THey have very focused all round training, successful at the highest levels of training, very competitive with brilliant ballet, modern and tap results.  They do  RAD and ISTD with lots of performance opportunities. They ask do jazz musical theatre etc. They do not do Greek - Academy Dance are very good for Greek and win competitions for that aspect. 

Heather

aka Taximom

Hi my dd dances with a small dance school just out of Droitwich, the teacher is an RAD examiner and teaches ISTD tap, modern and jazz too. She’s very nurturing and inclusive and offers regular exams, shows and local Panto. Her ballet exam results are particularly excellent! 

• Like 1