Some summer ballet after all

ENB's moving it's studios to Canning Town, we'll still see them at the Coliseum.

Sorry your girlfriend didn't get on with Midsummer Night's  Dream, was it her first Britten opera?  I love his operas but not everyone does.

BELOW ADDED IN BY JANET MCNULTY

Sanj2000 said on another thread:

"Am I right - or confused and just plain wrong - that ENB are moving to Canning Town so won't be performing at The Coliseum any more? Won't that cause a big hole for ENO/Coliseum?

Lastly, looking just now at what's on at The Coliseum, Swan Lake is on twice (2018 and 2019), and Manon is on in 2019. We are seeing both of these productions in the next few months at ROH performed by Royal Ballet; had these not been on at the ROH this year, we may have gone to ENO to watch the ENB productions, but I just can't afford (or want) to keep going to see the same productions - I want to see something different!"

• Like 1

Sanj2000, you can get very cheap tickets in parts of the Coliseum balcony. For opera, the sound at the back of the balcony has always been the best in the house (although Geoff's comments seem to suggest that this may no longer be the case) and the view for ballet in the front row balcony is excellent if you don't mind the cramped legroom.

I loved the last proscenium Swan Lake that ENB performed three or four years ago at the Coliseum. The production was good, the prologue helped make sense of the story and had the added benefit of the prince's solo and Rojo was absolutely electric as Odette/Odile.

ENO generally gives better performances of Britten's works than the RO, which could explain why you enjoyed it so much. They also, historically, have a better record with highly-stylised baroque works but I really do feel that they should stick to the original tongue in pretty much everything else.

• Like 1

MAB - thank you for clearing up the Canning Town conundrum (it was unclear on the ENB website what exactly was happening). Midsummer Night's Dream was the first Britten opera either of us had seen - we may end up seeing Billy Budd next year at ROH (depends on what else we are going to see).

Scheherezade - we were in the Balcony for Midsummer Night's Dream (as well as Rodelinda a few months ago), but I do prefer the Dress Circle if I can afford it or the Upper Circle, as you are closer to the action. I always check out the legroom in the front row wherever I can as we usually get to our seats early, but this invariably cramped for me. I think we were in the 3rd or 4th row in the Balcony and that was fine. Reading your comments gives me a bit a second thought of seeing ENB Swan Lake in 2019 - do you have any idea what the Derek Deane production will be like? If we go, that'll be a Swan Lake in 2017, 2018, and 2019 for me!

This just turned up on Facebook.

SWAN LAKE NOW ON SALE - LONDON COLISEUM AUGUST 2018 SEASON!
Book tickets HERE: https://londoncoliseum.org/…/swan-lake-st-petersburg-balle…/

Tchaikovsky's immortal Swan Lake arrives at the London Coliseum Wednesday 22 August 2018 for 7 performances only!

The Company's 2015 season was a total sell out - so hurry, book today to see the world's most loved ballet.

Led by prima ballerina Irina Kolesnikova, St Petersburg #Ballet Theatre's #SwanLake is the production everyone must experience at least once in their life.

It's a nice straightforward production: no drunken tutors, vomiting cadets, mincing priests or anything else - and contains quite a bit of Ashton choreography.  But I'd suggest you ask more about it on the dance part of the forum.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alison said:

Wasn't it Swan Lake they brought a few years ago - along with La Bayadere?  If so, I think I was a bit underwhelmed by it.

Edit: oops, sorry, didn't read blurb properly :)

I agree, Alison.  I saw it several times - to give the presentation a fair shake - and determined, sadly, it was not to my taste.  

For the record their production is the standard Russian traditional one, not so very dissimilar from the Kirov's.  Last time around the Siegfrieds were Rodkin and Kim.  I imagine they will do very well.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MAB said:

... Led by prima ballerina Irina Kolesnikova, St Petersburg #Ballet Theatre's #SwanLake is the production everyone must experience at least once in their life.

Oh no, having already experienced it once in my life, which even Rodkin's best efforts could not salvage, I have no intention of renewing the experience.

I agree with Alison, Sanj2000.

I loved the last ENB Coliseum Swan Lake but this may have been largely due to the fact that Rojo was absolutely electrifying.

I would not, however, be tempted to go to the St Petersburg Ballet Theatre production at the Coliseum this coming August, although others may have had a better experience of this company than mine.

1 hour ago, Scheherezade said:

Oh no, having already experienced it once in my life, which even Rodkin's best efforts could not salvage, I have no intention of renewing the experience.

I think you'll find there is no compulsion to go.

On 3/24/2018 at 23:17, MAB said:

SWAN LAKE NOW ON SALE - LONDON COLISEUM AUGUST 2018 SEASON!
Book tickets HERE: https://londoncoliseum.org/…/swan-lake-st-petersburg-balle…/

Tchaikovsky's immortal Swan Lake arrives at the London Coliseum Wednesday 22 August 2018 for 7 performances only!

The Company's 2015 season was a total sell out - so hurry, book today to see the world's most loved ballet.

Led by prima ballerina Irina Kolesnikova, St Petersburg #Ballet Theatre's #SwanLake is the production everyone must experience at least once in their life.

I remember when she used to perform in Wolverhampton - I guess she is to famous now :(

• 1 month later...

Casting at Coliseum in August: https://londoncoliseum.org/whats-on/swan-lake-st-petersburg-ballet-theatre/

Irina Kolesnikova - Odette/Odile; Denis Rodkin - Prince Siegfried —

22 Aug 7.30pm, 23 Aug 7.30pm, 25 Aug 2.30pm, 26 Aug 2.30pm^

Anna Nikulina - Odette/Odile; Kimin Kim - Prince Siegfried —

23 Aug 2.30pm, 24 Aug 7.30pm, 25 Aug 7.30pm^

• Like 1