RAD Adult Associates and Dream rep workshop

The_Red_Shoes

The RAD have extended the deadline for booking onto the spring series of Adult Associate classes at Elmhurst (starting February 4th) and the rep workshop on Ashton's  Dream. It looks like they are under the required numbers and may  cancel. So if you might be interested but haven't signed up, please do. I think the Dream should be really interesting, quite different from the big 19th century ballets that seem to be the most common focus for rep workshops.

• Like 1

Best add this to the list of RAD rep dates at Elmhurst, its also the dates for the morning session for the Adult Associates.

Swan Lake Sunday 4 March, Closing date 12 Feb

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/swan-lake-adult-repertoire-workshop-birmingham-2018-registration-41216064358

Sleeping Beauty Sunday 22 April, Closing date 2 April

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-sleeping-beauty-adult-repertoire-workshop-birmingham-2018-registration-41216090436

Coppelia Sunday 20 May, Closing date 30 April

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/coppelia-adult-repertoire-workshop-birmingham-2018-registration-41216167667

I did have a peak at the Dream, as a ballet I don't think it has anything for me, in any case I think I have virtually fallen out with RAD over the culture of not disclosing details of the rep they intend to teach, which is a great shame.

I will be honest I used to like the RAD associates when it was a full day activity, comprising Body Conditioning, Absolute beginners, Improvers 1 (grades 3 to 5), Improvers 2 (Grades 6 to 8), those were RAD grades for guidance that RAD published. Basically I used to do all 4 classes and at the lunch break borrow a studio for my own rep practice. I seldom missed a class even though it was over a hundred mile drive each way and sometime in absolutely appalling weather.

I moaned at RAD quite alot to get regular rep sessions going, and one of our teachers started putting a little rep in at the end of Improvers 2. I also tried to pursuade them to start an adult performing group but that fell on stoney ground, I guess that was a step too far.

The first one they ran, the did give me a little advance notice, however I missed that due to a leg injury which also included the following 2. I had intended doing the last one Giselle, but as no information was released this time, for me it just wasnt worth while.

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 1

I've done several of the rep workshops before and loved them. They obviously completely change the choreography to make it more accessible to everyone regardless of ballet experience and it's a lovely accomplishment when we all dance together at the end of the class.

For associates classes, I agree with Michelle in some ways. I miss the Improvers 2 level but there weren't many of us in the class last time I went so can't imagine it makes sense financially for them to run it. I didn't bother for the last lot of classes as It's a long way to go for me to just take Improvers 1, especially when it's easier than my normal classes. It tends to be hit or miss with the teacher as to what we do. Some like to focus on basics and really work on our technique and others just let us get on with it and rarely offer corrections.

• Like 1

I love the Dream ....it's a bit of a way up to Birmingham for me but may make it for some workshops if I can though can't afford it right now!! 

When is the Dream workshop if it's before the end of February I cannot make it but March is looking better.

thanks for the Katherine dates Michelle I fancy the Coppelia one as haven't done a workshop on this ballet yet but have on the other two so would make a change.

How long are these workshops at Elmhurst? 

The ones I've attended at RAD in London have only been about two hours .....so not a trip to Birmingham for that amount of time!! But they have been very enjoyable and fun to do.....I loved the Fille one from a couple of years ago now and the Cinderella one where we were actually given brooms to dance with!!

17 hours ago, Michelle_Richer said:

I will be honest I used to like the RAD associates when it was a full day activity, comprising Body Conditioning, Absolute beginners, Improvers 1 (grades 3 to 5), Improvers 2 (Grades 6 to 8), those were RAD grades for guidance that RAD published. Basically I used to do all 4 classes and at the lunch break borrow a studio for my own rep practice. I seldom missed a class even though it was over a hundred mile drive each way and sometime in absolutely appalling weather.

FYI they still do the body conditioning, beginners / improovers before the reps but they're listed under a separate event & you have to pay for all 4 unlike the reps where you can drop in individually.

I posted some details on my page to collate all the info https://www.facebook.com/sophiedanceruk/posts/2017144245206790 

Body conditioning is https://www.rad.org.uk/events/adult-associate-classes-3 

I think the eventbrite site is poor as I struggle to find things I'm looking for even when I know what it is, I'm at the Northern AGM where I intend to discuss Adult Associates at NB as I think there's demand but also that the events website is a bit long overdue an overhaul, if anyone wants me to pass on ant other feedback let me know.

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I love the Dream ....it's a bit of a way up to Birmingham for me but may make it for some workshops if I can though can't afford it right now!! 

When is the Dream workshop if it's before the end of February I cannot make it but March is looking better.

thanks for the Katherine dates Michelle I fancy the Coppelia one as haven't done a workshop on this ballet yet but have on the other two so would make a change.

How long are these workshops at Elmhurst? 

The ones I've attended at RAD in London have only been about two hours .....so not a trip to Birmingham for that amount of time!! But they have been very enjoyable and fun to do.....I loved the Fille one from a couple of years ago now and the Cinderella one where we were actually given brooms to dance with!!

Elmhurst Rep is from 13:45-16:15 so 2 1/2 hours, As I'm in Leeds it's too far for me for just that so I was checking into the improovers as well but I'm having to scale things back this year a bit until I've had time to recover.

Edited by sophie_rebecca
  • Like 1

Sophie Rebecca, I’d be very interested in any events in Leeds. My two nearest major cities are Newcastle and Leeds (I’m thirty minutes by train from Newcastle and one hour from Leeds) and both Birmingham and London are prohibitive when juxtaposed with the relatively short length of the workshops.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LinMM said:

...cost and travel times etc and general value for money have to be considered as well.

Absolutely agree with this. While I enjoy everything I've ever been to at the RAD and love dancing in the large studios, I normally dance 5 days a week, pay up to £11 for 2 hours and never travel more than 20 miles. This is with a teacher who knows my strengths and weaknesses and we can work on more complicated dances and routines over multiple sessions. It makes more sense to me to go to these and over the past year or so I've been telling myself just because I can go to an event doesn't mean I need to. Saying that, I do plan to do one of the repertoire sessions.

• Like 4

Well I know Michelle does have a bit of a wicked sense of humour so she may well be joking a little!

But everybody has their own finite financial resources and time constraints( jobs children etc) so no matter how much may want to do certain workshops it's just not possible.

I'm perfectly happy to attend workshops in London but any further and I do have to think how much is the train journey going to cost and how long is the workshop!! I might attend a whole ..or minimum half a day workshop ...in somewhere like Birmingham or Leeds but not really for just a couple of hours.

If the RAD workshops in Birmingham could be a class as well in might be worth it but apparently that's not the case? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LinMM said:

If the RAD workshops in Birmingham could be a class as well in might be worth it but apparently that's not the case? 

I mentioned a little further up the RAD days can be 2 classes & the rep, they do a body conditioning class first thing (which I've heard great things about) then a 1 hour beginners or improvers class, a break for lunch then the 2 1/2 hour rep class, the body conditioning & classes are listed separate to the rep, hope this helps.

• Like 2

Ah sorry Sophie Rebecca see that you did say that earlier

Well yes that does make it more of a going concern as it were! 

Obviously also if one has other business in Birmingham or Leeds that can work out nicely too.....such as a theatre visit? It's a very long time since I've seen BRB though seen Northern a few times and seeing them again in May.

I will think about the Coppelia one anyway

• Like 2

Yes my lovely friends my previous comment was made a bit tongue in cheek, hence I added the Ha ha at the end, so I didn’t expect it to be taken seriously.

As for the comments about taking the morning Adult Associate classes to make the trip worthwhile, these are normally term based , so I don’t think you will be able to book these as drop in on the Eventbrite website, I would suggest contacting Leonie Locke  LLocke@RAD.org.uk as the attendance levels of the Adult Associate classes in the past have been quite low, and it may well be possible to pay for a morning(2 classes) or a class on the day at Elmhurst, but do contact Leonie first.

• Like 1