Front Row

Basically Bussell interviewing MacLeary and Mukhamedov, with some archive footage of rehearsals for Prince of the Pagodas and the Farewell pdd, plus current rehearsals/performance of The Judas Tree and Elite Syncopations, I think.

• Like 1

This all too brief piece didn't do any kind of justice to MacMillan or to Donald MacLeary or Irek Mukhamedov. I'm afraid to say that it was yet more "look at me" from Darcey Bussell. Probably not her fault but this is supposed to be a major BBC arts programme. As it was, the very brief footage of Kenneth at work, the choreographic snippets, and the interviews were so brief as to be meaningless (surely?) to viewers unfamiliar with ballet or the signficance of MacMillan. Sorry - this this sort of thing makes me quite angry.

• Like 6

Yes, but as the televisual form of a half-hour radio programme which (I think) usually fits 3-4 items into its format, I don't think we were ever going to get anything more than "all too brief" :(  An hour's programme would have been warranted, but whether we shall ever get that I don't know.

• Like 3

On 10/22/2017 at 11:54, capybara said:

this is supposed to be a major BBC arts programme.

Front Row is an Arts Programme Lite covering as Alison says 3-4 items in 30 mins - all at the same level as the one on MacMillan. I fear it would be unrealistic to expect anything more substantial. On a related note one of the Celebration days was originally tagged on the ROH web site as "filming" - leading me to hope that it was being filmed for eventual broadcast, that hopefully Jan Younghusband had commissioned it for the BBC. However the tag seems to have been removed (?) so I guess that opportunity to film at least part of the event is no longer on the cards.  

Edited by David

Wouldn't it be good to have a substantial programme about Macmillan while there are still so many people around who worked closely with him? The little snippets with McLeary and Mukhamedov were nowhere near long enough. The programme itself is a joke if it's intended to be a serious arts programme and the few minutes devoted to.Macmillan, or any arts feature is just laughable.