Ballet on Carpet

ArucariaBallerina

Hello again!

I am back at my regular practising at home and am delighted that, even after a 2 week break from 'ballet' (still stretching and conditioning) that my technique, and especially turnout has improved! Maybe letting my brain soak in all the SS corrections by itself was a good idea! But we are sorting out my bedroom- we have had to move my barre and bed. It is the only room I can practise in, and unfortunately has carpet. Is it very bad to practise on carpet? It is very very hard to 'peel' the feet in tendus etc, articulating the whole foot, and I don't know whether his will become easier as my carpet no doubt gets worn out (as the previous patch of carpet was). Having been used to shiny SS floor, it is hard to readjust!

So, will practising on carpet be bad? Or are there any good things about it? Thank you!

I don't think many dancers have the luxury of practising on a dance floor. DD (nearly 14) has always practised on large rugs or our polished floorboards. She says the wood is too slippery for pointe, so tends to practise that on a (short-pile) rug. I have heard of people getting squares of lino from a bathroom shop, ie offcuts, and putting them down for practice. Our problem is that there is nowhere except our (slippery) hallway for her to practise turn sequences/manèges en pointe – which is what she most needs to work on! (The REALLY devoted dance mothers convert their garages to studios and put down a proper floor, but my DH has Steptoe's yard in our garage.)

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

A large sheet of hardboard can work well. Rough side down stops it slipping and the smooth side to dance on is kinder to the shoes. You can also use rosin if the surface is a bit slippery. Most big stores such as B&Q stock it.

After DD tried rosin at her last competition and thought it might work, I did get some. But it leaves marks on our polished wood floors and is sticky so doesn't wipe off easily. I'm still looking for how to get it off!