Mariinsky Ballet: La Bayadere, London August 2017

14 hours ago, queenofspades said:

but some people here started counting assembles and I got under impression that based on that they passed a verdict who's the best and who's not.

I was the poster who first mentioned Kim's eight doubles because it was something I hadn't seen before and therefore I thought it worthy of comment.  I also commented on the female variations in both Don Q and Paquita that were also new to me,    To state what you see is not "passing a verdict", my two all time favourite Solor's did four and six double assembles respectively, actually I find more symmetry in four, but that is my personal taste.

Male solos in ballet are more variable in my experience than female variations and there seem to be different versions to choose from in most big roles, a good example is Albrecht's last act sole in Giselle which is either the traditional one or Nureyev's repeated entrechats, sadly the latter is now more frequently seen, especially outside of Russia.

As for no dancers having perfect technique I can think of a couple that came close, though neither was Russian and neither danced Solor.

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MAB said:

As for no dancers having perfect technique I can think of a couple that came close, though neither was Russian and neither danced Solor.

MAB did you ever see Bujones enlighten this role?  (I realise he didn't dance an enormous amount in the UK.)  He had what I still think of as being as close to 'perfect technique' as I've ever witnessed - even all these many years later.  Certainly - in my memory - I don't think I can recall - from personal experience - his being bettered.  That said Sarafanov and Muntagirov do certainly come close.  Very close.  Woetzel did too no question.  I for one think Brandon Lawrence has the equipment necessary to someday scale the heights of such rarefied air as well.  

6 hours ago, MAB said:

I was the poster who first mentioned Kim's eight doubles because it was something I hadn't seen before and therefore I thought it worthy of comment.  I also commented on the female variations in both Don Q and Paquita that were also new to me,    To state what you see is not "passing a verdict", my two all time favourite Solor's did four and six double assembles respectively, actually I find more symmetry in four, but that is my personal taste.

Male solos in ballet are more variable in my experience than female variations and there seem to be different versions to choose from in most big roles, a good example is Albrecht's last act sole in Giselle which is either the traditional one or Nureyev's repeated entrechats, sadly the latter is now more frequently seen, especially outside of Russia.

I had no idea how many double assembles dancers did or were supposed to do, but wouldn't have believed 8 was possible, there doesn't seem enough music, it is indeed worthy of mention, the Dancetabs review thinks so too today.

Steven McRae has the nearest technique to perfection, certainly the cleanest, I can think of.

I saw the matinee of La Bayadere on Saturday - it was very nice but am I the only one who found the Shades rather untidy once they were formed in 2 straight lines down either side of the stage after the entrance bit - arms and legs were not together as one?  That aside everything else was fine.  Great to meet so many other forum members as well - I think it was pretty high turn out!

I managed to get some nice curtain call photos which I append below.

Chebykina/Askerov/Batoeva and you can also see Tkachenko as the Golden Idol after Act2DHR5r5sXoAAOwna.jpg

Chebykina and Askerov with The Shades after Act3

DHR5vCOXsAASvij.jpg

The 3 Shades from Act 3 - May Nagahisa, Yana Selina and Sofia Ivanova-Skoblikova

DHR5yQOWAAA8zik.jpg

Chebykina and Askerov

DHR50RyXoBEhkBm.jpg 

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 2

Although I generally prefer the longer tutu, I do feel that the Shades scene in Bayadere loses something by having the dancers wear them.  It is the one ballet where I really do want to see a bit of leg.

• Like 3

Thanks so much for these piccies Don Q and sorry to miss you in the end last Saturday but sometimes you just can't get round the whole theatre in the intervals when too many people to see!! Though usually I do make a dash up or down from the Amphi when I can....part of the fun!