Ballet Black triple bill Spring 2017

Just wanted to post that I was lucky enough to attend a rehearsal of Ballet Black at the Barbican yesterday evening - they will be performing at the Barbican from 2 - 4 March and they are really worth seeing - only 8 dancers in all. I really enjoyed seeing them last night and last year - the new piece is around the Little Red Riding Hood story except the wolf is a lady killer. Such a small company making dance more diverse and taking this to young people - great role models and great dancers.

• Like 5

I would like to see Ballet Black (I've never seen them) but I'm afraid that I've given up going to the Barbican as the journey is convoluted from South London and I always find it difficult finding my way there (or around once I'm there). Apparently, the High Walks are currently closed and, even when they were open, I never enjoyed walking up and down dingy staircases and around the virtual ghost town of the Barbican complex in the dark. I'm not a nervous person but I didn't feel particularly safe getting to my bus either. It's pretty dead around that area at night.

Edited by aileen
  • Like 2

I know what you mean about the Barbican Aileen.  I was there for Les Enfants, staying in a Travelodge about 10 minutes walk away (which was near Old Street tube station).  At least I didn't have to face the walk ways.  I had to ask for directions to find the auditorium once inside the theatre because the sign posting is not good.

I can't get down to the Barbican for Ballet Black.  I think Cassa Pancho's company is absolutely terrific and I am looking forward to seeing them in Birmingham in May.

Thanks for your report KathyE8.

• Like 1

I know what you both mean about the Barbican - luckily I used to work nearby so can find my way around a bit and I would suggest forget about the walkways that does take some navigation. The entrance on Silk Street is the easiest way in and BB will be in the main theatre - there are always seem to be "greeters" to direct you to the right place. From South London you could do the bus or tube to Moorgate, then walk up Chiswell Street and left on to Silk Street - see if you can find a friend to come with you - such a pity to miss BB and Cassa last night was really appealing for support - which in part made me post on the forum today. At the Q&A after the rehearsal one of the junior dancers (who plays the wolf) told us of his background from a Cape Town Township - he got into dance via his brother - (I can't remember all the details) - at the end of his story - it also came out that his brother dances in the Canadian Ballet (if that is the correct company) - amazing.

• Like 3

They are in Birmingham 25th & 26th May - I bought my ticket last night. I've only seen them once before and I very much liked what I saw. It's a way off yet but they are in the Patrick Centre which is quite small so it might pay to book early.

• Like 1

Last time I went to the Barbican I swore a solemn  vow never to go there again.* The whole experience got me down so much.  Walking through the tunnel... the depressing, bleak surroundings. The puddles. The lack of signs. once inside, the lack of any feeling that this was - er- a theatre. The overflowing bins. Everyone drinking out of huge plastic cups in the auditorium.

But it's a shame as BB have stopped coming to my town and I do miss them. They are a super company, very original and entertaining.

* Oh but I know I probably will

• Like 1

Mary - am so pleased that you are considering breaking your vow, and it couldn't be for a more worthy cause.

It is true that the Barbican is all the things you state.... and it is also a big free space where one can sit and spend time, great toilets on the mezzanine level, fab library on level 2 with lots of mags to read whether or not you are a member. In the past I even managed to get into the conservatory on a weekday with 3 friends and sampled the delights of the lovely plants, little bridge and some coy carp - but don't tell anyone. Ballet Black are touring at Winchester, Worthing, B'ham, Ipswich, Salisbury and Notts as well as London. The theatre is a bit of a gem - so do come - I've got tickets for Thurs 2 March and will probably book for another day as well. I saw Les Enfants Terrible recently I did not spot any beer swilling people, at least not in the audience.