Where are Northern Ballet School's [Manchester] recent Graduates listed?

Lisa O`Brien

I like, from time to time, keeping up to date with what's happening with my two former schools; Northern, which I attended from when I was aged between 12 and 15 and Urdang, which I was at from age 16. Just been on Northern Ballet School's website and had a look at their Graduate lists. I can't seem to find any info on the graduate destinations for the last two years. Are they listed somewhere else or have they not been listed, for some reason? 

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

Another interesting point is more DADA's at Northern Ballet School than at other schools. I would think that the government are more likely to give more DADA's to a school with good outcomes.The DADA's are meant to be given to those young people most likely to succeed in the industry. DADA's unlike student loans are not paid back. X

• Like 3

Does anyone have any experiences they can share re training at northern ballet it is one of the schools where dd has been offered a place and any knowledge/advice would be greatly appreciated.

My daughter went to NBS from 2006 - 2009 so things may well have changed since then.  She enjoyed her time there and found the teaching to be excellent in both ballet and MT. The principal had an open door policy and was very approachable.  The atmosphere was warm and welcoming and having a theatre on site was an added bonus as there were lots of performance opportunities. Each year in December, the classical students performed in a full length ballet, the MT focus students did a full show each Easter and all came together for a showcase at the end of the summer term. Not many students secured classical contracts during the 3 years my daughter was there but the school had a good graduate success rate with most students going on to perform on cruise ships. My daughter secured her 1st contract straight after graduating and continued dancing around the world until May 2016. She then took up a place at the RAD on the professional dancers teaching diploma course in June 2016. She is now a registered RAD teacher (freelance) and teaches 6 days a week at various locations in and around London.  She's continued peforming and now does ad-hoc promotional work at corporate and charity events.  My daughter really flourished at the school and has been very successful as a result of her time at NBS. Hope this helps but please feel free to ask if there's anything specific you want to know and I'll do my best to answer.

• Like 6

My DD is in 2nd year. Last year's classical focus of 9 graduates 2 are in Ballet Theatre UK company. 3 were offered places as apprentices for a Swiss ballet company. Other successes but I can't remember exactly. The schools face book account is where graduate employment is often stated. Out of the year group of 25 apx ( classical focus and jazz theatre focus) only a couple of students didn't have a job ready before they left! Some of my daughters friends in current Yr3 already now have at least 2 contracts to choose from.

• Like 4

Although I have no experience of Northern Ballet, I do have experience of students in Uni accommodation at 16.  They do survive.  My son was at RCS in their accommodation in the middle of Glasgow, and then in a flat with a friend.  He chose to take a position abroad on graduation, and I don't think he would have survived if he hadn't already experienced living on his own before hand.  He is also one of only two "young" dancers in the company and the experience of living with people of a variety of ages and backgrounds again has stood him in good stead.

• Like 2

Thank you this is all really helpful information and puts my mind at ease a little. She liked the school and loved that it was in Manchester City centre. I was worried about her staying in uni accomodation as she is only 16 but I understand they put the northern students together.

interestingly most universities do have some experience of  under 18s  in their accomodation as Scottish  system educated students who get a place  based on Highers  may be under 18  when they start  , plus the occasional english system student who has missed a year out  and either gone up to secondary school early or jumped y8 or y9  or attendined an english system school overseas and howe it;s fallen has meant they have taken A2at 17 rising 18  rather than 18 rising 19 ... 

the law is extremely interesting  and sometimes seemingly contradictory in how it views  16-18s in terms of decision making  / independence. 

So useful to hear this. My DD has a Northern offer too. It is such a relief to know she can continue her training next year even if she does not succeed with any of her other choices. For parents going through this next year my advice would be to apply to a range of schools. My son got his last choice of secondary school and in retrospect we realised his last choice should have been his first. It has been amazing. As for Northern decent training good pastoral care and a job at the end- what more can you ask for really?

• Like 1

Most of the NBS students are in Medlock House which is just around the corner from The Dancehouse. They are all usually put together in the same block. No NBS student has to share a flat with a Uni student. Medlock House is a bit tatty around the edges but a very safe place to be. There is of course a bit of noise from the rowdy Uni students but they all seem to just get on with it!! My daughter went at 16 and absolutely loved her time both at NBS and at Medlock House. She has never been out of work either since leaving in 2012. Happy to answer any questions if any one wants to send me a PM.

• Like 1

My daughter stayed in Medlock House for the 3 years and I also felt it was a very safe environment. It is only a few minutes walk away from NBS and this was reassuring especially as show rehearsals meant a late finish. She was in a 4 bed flat with 2 others from NBS and a uni student. The uni student however moved after the 1st term as I think she found her housemates a bit strange as they were usually too exhausted to party, at least to start with!!

Most of my daughter's year were in Medlock House so there was always someone to walk to and from school with and it was within walking distance to the city centre.

The free metro link bus stopped nearby, which was handy when coming back from the city centre with food shopping and Oxford Road rail station is a 5 min walk away. Piccadilly rail station is a bit further but still walkable.  I think there is a Sainsbury's metro close by too. My daughter worked part time at the Dancehouse theatre which was good experience and helped eke out her holiday earnings and as a bonus she got to see some good shows too. 

• Like 3

I am pretty sure that they no longer put Uni students in with NBS students at Medlock House even if it means an empty room in a flat.

The free Metro bus into town is still a plus as is the train station at Oxford Road and indeed Piccadilly.

hate to bring up the S word again but  16 -18s  and 18+ living  together in flat type environments may be problematic  vs  halls with individual rooms and  SRs/ Subwardens 

hate to bring up the S word again but  16 -18s  and 18+ living  together in flat type environments may be problematic  vs  halls with individual rooms and  SRs/ Subwardens 

Each of the bedrooms/en suite bathrooms within the 4 bed flat had a lockable door. I think it was the exception to the rule that my daughter ended up with a uni student as a housemate though as none of the other NBS students did.

Each of the bedrooms/en suite bathrooms within the 4 bed flat had a lockable door. I think it was the exception to the rule that my daughter ended up with a uni student as a housemate though as none of the other NBS students did.

quite possibly, 

i do remember from my first time at uni (mid 1990s) that  course mates who had  been throughthe scottish school system and  got in on the basis of highers  - and therefore some not 18 yet - those who weren;t yet 18 at the start of the first term  had a much more restricted  range of  accomodation they could apply  for compared to those who would be 18 or over at the start of term  ...  the under 18s  could apply for catered halls  and one or two of the self catering  sites , all notable were corridor based rather than flats  and all had 24 hour  porterage and   SR/ Sub warden  cover  on site outside office hours  - where soem of the other sites only had on site staff  during office hours and the  SR cover was  less numerous  and only SRs  not  SRs and Sub wardens/ warden (sub wardens being  PhD / post doc or  junior staff   vs the SRs  who could be  senior year undergraduates or  masters  students  -  a  my  second stint at uni   the ex-poly in the same city  had SRs who were 2nd year undergrads ! )