Pointe when I'm 13.

Liv56

Hello

I'm 13 years old and I still not on pointe , I do strengthing and pointe classes which I done this last January. I'm slim and my feet are not too flat or too arch , I've been dancing for 7 years . I just want to know have any of you guys been on pointe when you were 13 or older because I know people who go younger and I'm worried it's going to take ages to get on and I will get left behind!

Thank you xx

I only started at late 13 too, I'm sure the strengthening (and stretching too) should speed it up! Usually when you're older you spend less time on Pointe at the barre (I only had about 2 lessons of relevés at the barre on pointe, compared to the 10 or 11 year olds spending 3+ months on this!) don't worry, you will be there before you know it (and the awful breaking in of shoes!)

Hi Liv56,

I echo what everyone else has said. I've fitted 100's of dancers with shoes and there is no magic age to start on pointe. Many dancers come to us at 15 or 16 for their first shoes and we also have adults of varying ages!

The MOST important thing is that you're ready both physically and mentally and your teacher will guide you on this. Rest assured you wont get left behind. Attempting pointework when you are not ready is far more likely to cause problems. 

Keep listening and working hard and you'll ge there!

Sheila x

• Like 4