Grrrr. Roadworks!

Pups_mum

Sorry, just need a short rant after this morning's school run.

Tell me, if you were planning to dig up the road outside a primary school would you

a)choose 8.30am on a week day to start?

b)cone off the lay by on the adjacent road for no clear reason thus making it even more difficult for anyone to park or turn their cars round.

c)fail to give any notice of said roadworks.

No? Me neither.

Time for a strong cup of tea before facing pick up time....

• Like 1

I suppose many will have a rant about children being driven to school, when some live near enough to walk. What was the reason for the excavation Pups-mum, it might have been a gas leak for instance that needed repairing quickly? I'm taking my wife to the hairdressers soon, and will have to do a detour to avoid the school runners, as they seem to park where they like and the hold ups can be horrendous. Sorry for having my rant, but look at it from both sides. :)

I agree about the roadworks Pups!

If I said I had the most horrendous start to a journey to Chester last week it is probably the understatement of the year.

I didn't go my usual route to the Mersey tunnel because of roadworks just before you get to the entrance.  OK so the road for my alternative route was closed (due to bridge repairs) and I had to squizzle around to get back on route ... only to discover that that entrance to the tunnel was closed!!!  I followed the diversion straight into the roadworks I was trying to avoid!!!

Oh and as for the junction improvements near where I live ...

They started (allegedly) on 25th April for 12 weeks.  The sign now says 22 weeks and no end in sight...  It wouldn't be so bad if we ever actually saw workmen there more than very occasionally!!!

And as for the "smart motorway" roadworks on the M62 from J12 to J21 ...

I suppose many will have a rant about children being driven to school, when some live near enough to walk. What was the reason for the excavation Pups-mum, it might have been a gas leak for instance that needed repairing quickly? I'm taking my wife to the hairdressers soon, and will have to do a detour to avoid the school runners, as they seem to park where they like and the hold ups can be horrendous. Sorry for having my rant, but look at it from both sides. :)

Nope, just regular pot-hole fixing by the looks of things. No such luxury as mains gas here anyway, so definitely not that! And I don't think many of the kids who get driven to our school could reasonably walk, given the distances involved and lack of pavements that go with rural living.

Edited by Pups_mum
  • Like 1

Yes I do understand as we live out in the wilderness, although we do have mains gas thank goodness. I took a chance hoping the traffic wouldn't be too bad, and luckily we got through both ways without a hitch, so feeling very relaxed now. :) It's my turn to travel to Senior Associates in London tomorrow, so it will all start again in the morning, it should be fairly quiet though.

Dd & her schoolmates had a bad journey last night from Liverpool to Chester Janet after a theatre trip.

They were supposed to be back at 11pm but it was actually midnight.

I had a nightmare journey to work this morning. Yesterday a water main burst & they've had to close the road t dig it up. Made worse by the fact that there were roadworks & diversions in place through the town anyway.

I remember when we visited England for the solar eclipse in 1999 and went to Torquay since that's where totality was happening (and was an opportunity to revisit the hotel where we'd spent part of our honeymoon) - and they were happily digging up one of the main roads into Exeter, which caused traffic mayhem as people were trying to get further into Devon and down to Cornwall, and then back out again the day after. We asked the people at our hotel about that idiotic decision, and they said rather vaguely that nobody in town had known there was going to be an eclipse. Sometimes you really do have to wonder...

• Like 3

oh that sounds so familiar Pups-mum. In our case they did give advance notification - for the last week of the school holidays. and yes you've guessed it - 8:30 am on the first day back to school. Did not affect us too much as we live in the village and walked to the school then (years ago) but the fact that they closed the road through the village caused chaos with cars and the school buses. In fact thinking about it, they did the same with the main road to the next town a number of years later. My kids got on the bus at 8:15 and reached school at about 10am (its 5 miles) but some of them that morning had 3 hours stuck on school buses.

Our bypass is closed this weekend, and although through traffic that doesn't know the local back roads is following the diversion signs, you should see the state of the town centre! All the locals are obviously thinking they know a short-cut, which would be great - except everybody else knows it too, and they are all coming out at one set of traffic lights in the middle of town. Mayhem :D (I knew another way through a back-of-beyond village haha!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Please don't talk to me about Roadworks.  I travel on the M1 every day to Rotherham or Worksop for work and we are currently undergoing the SMART motorway renovations and have been for the last 2 years.  In addition I take my dd to Leeds three times a week and this has only recently fully reopened after 4 years of smart motorway renovations.  I'm not sure what my car would do if it could go more than 50 miles per hour on the motorway. 

Ranting and Frustrated  :blink: