Frequency of Assessing Out ??

Ballet4Boyz

At Elmhurst it's in year 9 and year 11.

RBS I think year 8,9 and then at 11 auditions for upper school. Not in year 10 because of GSCE.

What have changed recently is that the WL doesn't asses out in year 7.

I don't know how it is in Tring and Hammond - I guess no assessing out in year 10 as well.

WL do still have assessments at Year 7 - my dd has hers in the exit 2 weeks!! The aim is not to assess out in year 7 or 8 but it can still happen. Only about half made it through from year 9 to 10 last year - that is the toughest assessment. No assessment in Year 10.

Hammond have yearly assessments as well. My dd

(Y7) had hers in November with results posted to us just before Christmas. Even if they are not under the threat of being assessed out I'm under no illusions that they would be asked to leave if the school felt the training wasn't working for them.

At our Hammond audition the lady doing the tour told us that in all her years working there she had only ever known of two children being assessed out.....I wonder how true this is as I thought there would be a much higher number especially as she was implying she had worked there for years!

Tring have assessments twice a year. Autumn term and summer term. Very much a learning experience. The assessments are videoed, the children have to rate their own performance, then the teachers tell them their actual marks and they watch the videos back. They then have an individual discussion with their main teacher of that dance genre. Can't comment on 'assessing out', the assessments aren't done in that light and there doesn't seem to be a threat of removal hanging over their heads. This is in my own personal experience, and I'm sure there will always be exceptions.

Just to add, I agree with eowyn's comment above that I am under no illusion that a child will be asked to leave if they aren't right for the school.

Edited by Harwel

As per comments above assessments for Hammond are done in the Autumn term.  

Assessments are taken very seriously at Hammond but I believe they are used more as a tool for the individual student to self critic areas where they could improve and the children are expected to improve over the rest of the year.  I do believe the threat of being assessed out at Hammond and Tring is far less than RBS and Elmhurst.  I think this is due to the school having the facility to offer students a different direction like musical theatre, music or drama.  I have only known of a few children being asked to leave because they lacked commitment and suitable behaviour.  

My personal advice if you are just starting to think about schools is to consider whether your child could cope with the yearly pressure of being assessed out.  I think it has pros and cons.

• Like 1

I know in the past MDSs were removed at Tring as the result of assessments. The student was allowed to stay on the course, just not with the MDS. In effect if you can't afford to pay then you have to leave. I know the MDS can be removed at other times and the students are told of this.