Mayerling - South Bank Special from 1978

Yesterday I stumbled across this on youtube and thought that other forum members may enjoy. Here's part 1, but the follow ups are easy to find. 

Part 1 of a South Bank special documenting the creation, background and first performance of the Royal Ballet's Mayerling; from 1978.

• Like 9

Yesterday I stumbled across this on youtube and thought that other forum members may enjoy. Here's part 1, but the follow ups are easy to find. 

Part 1 of a South Bank special documenting the creation, background and first performance of the Royal Ballet's Mayerling; from 1978.

Thank you so much for posting this.  I knew of its existence but could never find it.  My favourite ballet by far

I was lucky enough to see all of the original cast except, regrettably, Seymour. I have seen the ballet a number of times over the years and for my money no one has ever touched Merle Park as Marie Larisch.

Presumably there is a recording of all most the complete work. Shall we all pray to the gods of ballet that one day it is released.

• Like 3

That was all incredible feel rather humble having the opportunity to watch the original cast and listen to the interviewers. It was strangely eerie watching history following history, almost gave it extra depth. Wendy Ellis Somes lives up the road from me, wish I had the guts to go and find her house and knock on her door to talk to her, fantastic cast I don't think they can be beaten really but I did think Edward Watson was an amazing Rudolf. He looked so spookily identical and I loved Melissa Hamilton as Mary, I would like to see her grow into that role if she returns to the company. Will be interesting to see who cuts it next time it is done. Matthew Ball would be fabulous and I would love the opportunity to see Sergei Polunin in the role.

Thank you, it is marvellous.

Fascinating to see Seymour, great dance actor.  In the final pas de deux she is brave enough not to make it pretty- as someone was saying on the forum about early performances of the last scene in  R&J. This recording is a perfect example of that:  I don't think ihave ever seen anyone dance like that on the ROH stage.

• Like 1