Pointe Shoe fitters in London

Anna C

Just heard from the Bloch Shop on Drury Lane that the wonderful Tiffany has left. :-(. I'm gutted because she was such a fantastic and thorough fitter, and spotted precisely why dd's Grishkos werewrong for her feet.

Although Bloch say that all their staff are qualified fitters, I've noticed that other members of staff always checked with Tiffany.

I know there are good fitters and not so good fitters in all shops, but we've been "bitten" once or twice by lazy fittings where a fitter just gave dd the next size up in the same model, despite the fact that her foot had changed along with the amount of pointework.

Has anyone had a particularly good fitter recently that they can recommend?

• Like 1

hi, I would be interested too but would like recommendations for fitting in W. Midlands/South West or even S. Wales areas as we can get to these fairly easily. We usually end up in London or Brighton over the summer so those would be an option. DD has difficult feet with a long big toe and esp finds pointe hard and I am sure an expert fitting would be helpful to her. Tiffany sounds good Spanner, maybe you can find out where she has gone to!

• Like 1

My daughter happened to be at Bloch when Bob Martin was in and he looked at her old pointe shoes and suggested some slight alternations ie higher back and double insoles. We had to pay £10 more for a bespoke pair and are still waiting for them 6 weeks later but my dd's best friend has had his shoes twice and swears by them. She doesn't do much pointe work at the moment and they were her first pair (just as well) but is looking forward to getting the new shoes. There are some shops in and around Covent Garden which stock lots of different makes and that is probably better than trawling round the entire west end (dancia) maybe? You can phone Bloch and request an appointment with him!

• Like 2

Hmmm, good idea re. Bob - the only thing that worries me slightly is that I'm not entirely sure if dd's feet have stopped growing. It would be typical to order a pair and then her feet grow in the six weeks!

Hmmm, good idea re. Bob - the only thing that worries me slightly is that I'm not entirely sure if dd's feet have stopped growing. It would be typical to order a pair and then her feet grow in the six weeks!

That's exactly why we never went to him! And now her feet have stopped growing she barely does any pointe work and found a comfy pair of Grishkos so we'll stick with them :)

• Like 1

Well, all fine in Bloch today (it was empty downstairs!) - the creaking pointe shoes are almost dead (hence the creaking) but dd's feet haven't grown or changed, so she ended up with a new pair of the same shoes. They looked fine though and the fitter was happy with them, as was dd.

So I can't judge the fitting very much...will see what happens next time.

I did find out where Tiffany has gone though - apparently she's joined New English Ballet Theatre! Happy for her but sad for us. :-)

• Like 2

Never heard of New English Ballet Theatre but you prompted to me look at their web site - looks fantastic - similar to Ballet Theatre Uk which are a small touring company but r made up of ex tring, central and royal ballet dancers and are well worth watching (probably need to start a new topic for this) Ballet Theatre uk are doing a new production of Sleeping Beauty in Bishops Stortford next Friday and DD and I are really looking forward to it - have seen Nutcracker and the Snow Queen and are extremely impressed. Shame they don't have opportunities for younger dancers to audtion for parts at the different venues!

• Like 1

One of our friends from Elmhurst is in NEBT with a couple of others we know from other schools. They and BTUK seem to be doing well at the moment - should definitely start a new thread with some reviews (not in the "doing dance" forum)

• Like 1

Never heard of New English Ballet Theatre but you prompted to me look at their web site - looks fantastic - similar to Ballet Theatre Uk which are a small touring company but r made up of ex tring, central and royal ballet dancers and are well worth watching (probably need to start a new topic for this) Ballet Theatre uk are doing a new production of Sleeping Beauty in Bishops Stortford next Friday and DD and I are really looking forward to it - have seen Nutcracker and the Snow Queen and are extremely impressed. Shame they don't have opportunities for younger dancers to audtion for parts at the different venues!

And they are also in Exeter 1st June, Catford 3rd June, Tunbridge Wells 7th June, Dunstable 9th June (I'm going to that one!!), Swindon 12th and 13th June, Horsham 14th June, Chipping Norton 15th June, Andover 16th June, Ricksmanworth 17th June Taunton 21st June and finally Bedworth 23rd June.

I will certainly put a review up if people would like but haven't already done so because I know a lot of the dancers and therefore can't give an unbiased view. (They are fabulous, especially the wolf :) !!)

Do go and see them if you can, this is a very sincere, genuine,hard working and talented company who love taking ballet to those areas who do not get companies visiting very often.

Oh and if you live in Rickmansworth area ballet schools can buy 10 tickets or more for just ten pounds...

Julie if you think I should post this info elsewhere please let me know, and where!!!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 1