Tube strike

annaliesey

It's going to make getting to the Coliseum a little tricky for some, I fear.  I think I've found a way round it for myself, but life would certainly be easier for a lot of people on Southern Region if there wasn't all the hassle involved with the works at London Bridge as well.

You could still manage today?  The strike won't be starting until the end of rush hour.

• Like 1

And my train to London this morning was "cancelled because there's no driver" grr!!!

Who wasn't where he should have been because he couldn't get there because of the Tube strike?

(And just to add insult to injury, I gather there have been significant problems on Southern this morning).

A friend and I are going to La Sylphide tonight, regardless: but because she's got to come in from Victoria we're going to meet at the theatre rather than meet up for a meal first, so that's one eatery that will suffer as a result of the strike.  Multiply that thousands of times ...

• Like 1

(BTW, when I looked on TFL's rubbish site a couple of days ago for information about the Tube strike, could I find it?  I ran a search on "strike" and got hits dating back to 2006, but with no way of ordering them according to most recent!)

Just got back from London.  DD had a hospital appointment for 10.00 this morning so we went in last night and stayed over.  Originally the start time of the strike (on their web page, can't remember how I found it) was 21.30 which was fine as we could get to the hotel, but then they changed it to 18.30. We tried to get a bus, but the C2 just never seemed to appear so we ended up getting a taxi.  Got a bus back to Victoria today once appointment over.  There were plenty of people ready to help out at the bus stops and TFL had loads of other people around.  We didn't get into London until after 19.30 so it had calmed down a bit!  Would not have gone near the place otherwise.  Not happy as it's costs us loads but this appointment could not be moved. 

Thumbs up to the bus drives and taxi drivers who took up the slack :)

• Like 2

As this problem looks likely to continue, it's occurred to me that, if this is a viable proposition from where you are, it might be easier to try and come into a railway station closer to your final destination, even if that means making a journey to a different starting station, rather than running the gauntlet of trying to get across central London by bus.  It was really depressing on Thursday, even coming away from the Coliseum at 9.30, to see the No. 11 bus (which links Victoria and Charing Cross) still full to bursting.  I managed to get home from Charing Cross rather more easily than I would have from Victoria, and made adjustments in the suburbs.

Admittedly, this probably works better on Southern Region, where lines intersect more, rather than in northern London, where they all extend outwards like tree branches, but with the Overground increasingly forming quite a good rail "North Circular" it may be feasible there, too.

Hi Alison

I hadn't thought of going to a different station. We don't know London that well and always go into Victoria but I will look at what options London Bridge and Clapham Junction give us.  Haven't got that appointment again for another 4 months.

I think if we'd understood the buses better and had a little more patience then we could have used the bus but I wasn't sure where to get off.  Hotel was in Albany Road, Regent's Park way.  It was going to be an expensive trip anyway as the appointment was at 10.00 and we would have had to travel during the rush hour, but then there are always the extras, you end up paying for.  Breakfast was extortionate at the hotel (as were the drinks in the bar that night) so we found a cafe near the hospital.. It was a very simple journey until the strike!!