ballet teachers in north east

bellarina

Hi my dd wants to audition for royal ballet junior classes next year , her general dance school has no room for an extra private class to concentrate on just ballet and was wondering if someone could recommend a tutor in the north east area , Teesside, Co.Durham or Tyne and wear areas please ?

Hi Bellarina - welcome to the forum!

I grew up in the north east and whilst a child/teenager I went to Eve Trew School of Dance. The wonderful Eve is still teaching, alongside other teachers. The school is based in Gateshead. We travelled from Newcastle as it was the best we found.

• Like 1

Hello bellerina and welcome to the Forum. While i`ve no personal knowledge or experience I get the impression that the Royal Ballet School ,whether that is at Associates or at Lower School,select their pupils mainly on suitable body type,and also on potential. Children have been known to be selected with sometimes very little training. So I don`t think it`s necessarily how "good" a child is. It is the potential to be trained in a serious classical ballet environment that they are looking for. If they like your child,they like your child,regardless of how much prior training they have had.

• Like 2

Hi bellarina

We live in Teesside and my two dd have been going to a fantastic ballet school called the thompsons school of dance since they were 3 years old. My older dd is on the cat scheme at northern ballet and was a royal ballet junior associate for two years in Leeds. My younger dd is has been a royal ballet junior associate since year 4, an elmhurst associate and a northern ballet associate. She is starting at white lodge in September. The teaching at mrs and miss thompsons is second to non. They have lots of girls in different schemes and associate classes. I can highly recommend them.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the advice, I will look into it all , Lisa my fear is that my daughters feet turn inwards as do her knees as she was born with slightly twisted in feet as she was breach and they were in birth canal , so just trying to find someone to help her improve on this so I can help her dream become reality , I'm not sure as it stands if she will pass getting in due to this  :unsure:  thank you for the re assurance around technique and body type though :D 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the advice, I will look into it all , Lisa my fear is that my daughters feet turn inwards as do her knees as she was born with slightly twisted in feet as she was breach and they were in birth canal , so just trying to find someone to help her improve on this so I can help her dream become reality , I'm not sure as it stands if she will pass getting in due to this  :unsure:  thank you for the re assurance around technique and body type though :D 

Well when I was little I was incredibly knock-kneed. The ballet training I had corrected that. I`m sure that ,simply by its nature of every exercise being  turned out ,that after several years of training,wherever she is,there will be a marked improvement in this. Her bones will still be soft at this age so will,carefully and gradually over time,be changed to naturally turn out from the hips,surely? As for the Royal,if they really liked her,I would guess [and it`s just a guess] that they would be aware that their or any other ballet training would correct this twisted in position. That is,of course,if it CAN be corrected. Maybe if you got some medical advice on this to find out if over time and gradually[explaining turn out and what it does] to see if it is something that can be reversed? But i`m no expert.

Well when I was little I was incredibly knock-kneed. The ballet training I had corrected that. I`m sure that ,simply by its nature of every exercise being  turned out ,that after several years of training,wherever she is,there will be a marked improvement in this. Her bones will still be soft at this age so will,carefully and gradually over time,be changed to naturally turn out from the hips,surely? As for the Royal,if they really liked her,I would guess [and it`s just a guess] that they would be aware that their or any other ballet training would correct this twisted in position. That is,of course,if it CAN be corrected. Maybe if you got some medical advice on this to find out if over time and gradually[explaining turn out and what it does] to see if it is something that can be reversed? But i`m no expert.

Hi Lisa , thank you for the reassurance , I really glad to hear it will correct itself with a few more years of training , really appreciate the help :)

• Like 1

Bellerina, my youngest dd was born with the same thing but it resolved itself by gentle massage by the time she was two and she danced for many years with no trouble at all. Good luck to your dd.

• Like 1