Kathrine Sorley Walker 1920 - 2015

Kathrine Sorley Walker, by far the most senior London dance critic still writing, died in her sleep last week.

The Telegraph has a long obituary, giving a lot of detail about her professional life - many people probably don't know that as well as her dance writing she also edited the letters of Raymond Chandler - and also revealing her age, which until now has been a very well kept secret. She had begun to look very frail recently and I'm lost in admiration for someone who in her mid-nineties would still turn out to see most of the mainstream first nights, and then walk away on her own into the dark and rain to catch a bus or a tube home. 

I've been reading Kathrine's criticism and her books for as long as I can remember, but didn't actually meet her until about 14 years ago, when I found myself sitting next to her at Covent Garden and rather hesitantly introduced myself: she was much less formidable than I'd expected - and astonished that anyone would recognise her - and since then she has always been personally friendly and professionally kind to me. Talking to her was a stimulating experience - I'd say she didn't suffer fools at all, let alone gladly - but she had a dry wit, a vast amount of knowledge, and some delightfully unexpected soft spots too. A remarkable woman.

• Like 5

The only one left is Clement Crisp ,he is in my opinion the best critic of ballet in the UK living ,John Percival and Richard Buckle were in their time outstanding because they loved ballet and dancers so much .Richard Buckles Diaries are a gem .T

• Like 1