Funny mistranslations in ballet promo material

Here I am in Prague and I just picked up a brochure for a nameless ballet company that does endless Swan Lakes for the tourist trade. Their synopsis of the plot includes this:

"Odette tells them in despair about Siegfried's betrayal. On the lake is beginning a storm. The prince is rushing out to the bank."

Well ya know, a girl/swan likes her guy to have money...

• Like 9

• 3 months later...

Continuing in this vein... Unfortunately Roberto Bolle's facebook page lets FB do its translating from Italian, with the following result: "Interview with Roberto Bubbles on the next stage of the ‪#‎bolletour2015‬ at the arena of Verona tomorrow at 22:00
Automatically Translated" No, really? Automatically translated? I would never have guessed. I will now never be able to think of him as anything but "Roberto Bubbles"!

• Like 7

How lovely!  And just what I needed when I'm still stuck at the office. 

Anybody would think it cost a fortune to get stuff professionally translated - or even translated by a halfway-competent human being.  You'd be surprised the number of companies who just run their websites through Google Translate and don't realise they're giving a terrible impression to would-be customers.

/rant

• Like 2

Have you ever seen the automatic translations on Face Book?  I've never read such a total load of gobbledegook!  And menus!  Don't get me started on the wierd things I have been offered to eat - rules is one I remember - they meant bread rolls of course

However, sometimes programme content is not necessarily the fault of the translator.  I once helped translate something into faultless (if I do say so myself) English only to see it ruined by the printers.  It was just luck that I happened to pass a computer and noticed that instead of printing the late Mr. so and so, they had typed the lake Mr. so and so!

• Like 1

No exactly 'promo' but this is what came up on Facebook when I asked for a translation of a quote from a Spanish interview with Vadim Muntagirov:

" to be honest, I think I have spent the whole year testing because, of the repertoire I have danced here, the only thing that he had done before is the lake of swans. I think that the worst thing is happening in the first week, in the study, you do not know any step and you must find ways of that your body speak quickly all this new information."

We interviewed the star coaster of the royal ballet in London, after his first year with the company.

www.danzaeuropayamericas.com/tienda

The piece about the body 'speaking quickly all this new information' is spot on but what exactly is a 'star coaster'?

Edited by capybara
  • Like 4

Have you ever seen the automatic translations on Face Book?  I've never read such a total load of gobbledegook!  And menus!  Don't get me started on the wierd things I have been offered to eat - rules is one I remember - they meant bread rolls of course

I know: I keep the Translate function on my Chromebook switched on just for the entertainment value!

• Like 1