Dance Courses for Sept 2016

dance en pointe

Hi,

I am very new to this but would love some help for my DD who is 15 and would like to go to a conservatoire at 16 for sixth form to study dance and dance only. My DD does mainly ballet and contemporary but is an all rounder really. Last year she attended a Musical Theatre course in the summer but hated the singing and drama so it has put her mind into just doing dance but a lot of audtions seem to include a singing piece which DD will not do for anything. So my question is  does anyone know of a dance course that does not do the singing as part of the audition . I know for ballet you dont which is what she wants but the comepetition is so strong she is worried she will not get in anywhere so we need to look at everything possible.

Thanks

Sorry thequays. That has definitely changed now. They require a monologue and 2 songs together with a ballet and Jazz class at audition. The pure dance courses where monologues and songs are not required would include ( but not an exhaustive list) Royal, Central, ENBS, Elmhurst, scottish, ballet West, Tring dancers course, Rambert, London contemporary, Laban, northern contemporary - now I've run out from the top of my head!

Edited by Harwel
  • Like 4

It might be worth letting your dd know that even at Central (don't know about the other schools) although there is no singing as part of the audition process students have to do a singing class as part of the course and are assessed on this although I know many of them hate it.

• Like 2

My DD is similar. She's a good singer actually, but she's simply not interested in MT. She will be auditioning for solely dance courses for 2016 also, but she will be 18 and we're looking for a degree course. She's very interested in London Studio Centre, as well as some of the others already mentioned, but I am not sure if they take at 16 or not. Another place you might like to consider in Northern Ballet in Manchester. Good luck - if you find anywhere else interesting, please do share!